Moving to the sticks (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

was out on the bike around north county dublin earlier. it was only after a second, emphatic hand gesture that some dozy prick in a hyundai SUV abandoned an overtake on me, which saved him from driving head on into a bus.
i've always said to non-cyclists that if they want to get even a hint of how bad drivers can be, to stick an L plate up in their car.

The main issue is that the law is simply not enforced. Making the punishment harsher will have no effect if they continue to fail to police it. I regularly pass through the junction Pete mentioned, often on the bike. I never pass through without looking in every direction first.
this is it. Its not the severity of the law, its the risk of getting caught, which is currently very low.

Incidentally, I heard they banned Waze in Germany because it gives real-time info on where speed traps are. I use it and drove down and back to Cork yesterday. Only one speed van en route, and Waze flagged it. It was the part of the N7 where everyone decided to drive 90km/h because they think they'll get sweets from the speed van for going so slow, as opposed to getting punished for going so fast.

The speed vans are supposed to be in dangerous spots, so having people slow down there is no bad thing if that's where they have them.

The thing with the checkpoints is that they are there mostly to drive numbers and get word out.
Far easier to trawl in Dublin where there are few road deaths from boozy driving and get big numbers, than to actually properly police the counties where people are dying on the roads.
The Gards are useless on most counts though.

The speed vans are supposed to be in dangerous spots, so having people slow down there is no bad thing if that's where they have them.

The thing with the checkpoints is that they are there mostly to drive numbers and get word out.
Far easier to trawl in Dublin where there are few road deaths from boozy driving and get big numbers, than to actually properly police the counties where people are dying on the roads.
The Gards are useless on most counts though.
they pull in on those humps you see dotted along the motorway. There was no logic to where this one was placed. It was a straight stretch of road and you could see it coming.

Do a private company not operate those vans? Curious if its a fixed contract or if they have targets.

they pull in on those humps you see dotted along the motorway. There was no logic to where this one was placed. It was a straight stretch of road and you could see it coming.

Do a private company not operate those vans? Curious if its a fixed contract or if they have targets.
Operated by a private company - GoSafe
Contract up for renewal this year

Google Bard should get the kudos

View attachment 16913
cheers. The goal of speed checks should be to deter speeding, not to catch people speeding.

I used to be a real prick when driving in rural towns and I'd see boy racers driving towards me. I'd flash them to make them think I'm warning them of a garda speed check and they slow right down. RESULT.

The first school looks the best of that lot. Must have a look at the orientation
It's south facing - I mean all those big windows face south
This seems to be true of all of the ones I have looked at so far
Even the fucked up one there near Strokestown

1682019349663.png

1682019453062.png

At a guess, the design team deliberately used the building aspect to maximise natural light through the big windows to save on the electricity and lighting
like the zig-zag factory roof lights

@Deadmanposting

Break down that wall in the WC and have one massive bathroom at the back with a single toilet and tiny sink in it for the craic.

With the super high ceilings in the classrooms i wonder could you make it two storey, that part would be the size of three normal houses if thats on.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJtZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1IiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7ImZpdCI6Imluc2lkZSIsIndpZHRoIjoxMjAwLCJoZWlnaHQiOjEyMDB9fSwib3V0cHV0Rm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyIsImtleSI6IjIvYS8yYWM4M2ZmYjBlOGNlMzY3NmZiZjg3NjY0NDBmZjk0NC5wbmcifQ==

@Deadmanposting

Break down that wall in the WC and have one massive bathroom at the back with a single toilet and tiny sink in it for the craic.

With the super high ceilings in the classrooms i wonder could you make it two storey, that part would be the size of three normal houses if thats on.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJtZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1IiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7ImZpdCI6Imluc2lkZSIsIndpZHRoIjoxMjAwLCJoZWlnaHQiOjEyMDB9fSwib3V0cHV0Rm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyIsImtleSI6IjIvYS8yYWM4M2ZmYjBlOGNlMzY3NmZiZjg3NjY0NDBmZjk0NC5wbmcifQ==
I was thinking his n hers mahoosive bathrooms for the main toilets
Cinema/library, kitchen/living room, and bedroom for the front three
Guest bed + en suite in the Principal's office

Plenty of pitched roof space for solar

But it's a fantastic blank slate for almost anyone
And it's liveable while you do it

ETA The ceilings are an amazing height, but only about 14' at best, going by the door heights
Boiler room roof is a slight concern, but for the general standard of these listings, it's in super nick overall

It's a goddamn steal I think

Are you looking to do up something for yourself or to build and sell on?

I’ve moved my own search from Meath to maybe Laois but I thought there were a lot of pyrite issues there so a bit wary. Basically I’m not ready to be too far away from Hives yet, in a definitely non co-dependent way.

Most schools in Ireland are South facing by design I thought? Mine certainly was, and that was part of the geography curriculum.

Though the high ceilings would negate that somewhat. My bedroom has a mezzanine over half the room, which is useful and is noticeably warmer. That half is about 12' high, the other half just has a void above the ceiling to the deck, an attic we can't access I suppose. But the mezzanine works especially if you're going for having a workshop space.

I'd do it for the floors alone. I've said this before about some other place, but this one would be a great film or photoshoot location, which could be big bucks while you or whoever buys it turns it into a home.

Blah anyway, I think we're all getting wild notions about the place. I think it's a bargain for someone useful. Too big a job for me.

And I'm pretty sure someone from that school punched my cousins mate at an under-16's game in 1992 and the ref only gave a free kick because he was the lads uncle. Or something like that. These things also matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back