Moving to the sticks (2 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

I think people expect homes to go for far more than the list price now. So asking for the 'real' price isn't a great idea I'd guess?
my gaff is up for sale at the moment. When I talked to the estate agent about the valuation, she gave me a range that she thought it would fetch, but said that its always wise to price it at 25k below what it will bring in, to get people engaged.

at the moment the highest bid is 5k below my asking price.

Talking about the flippin' emigration again

View attachment 16894
are they talking about trying to encourage people to emigrate to Ireland?

They can fuck off. Ireland has zero interest in people emigrating here. It was unbelievably hard, I'm Irish, I grew up here, hold a passport. It's an absolute maze. I'm still trying to work shit out almost two years later.

you reckon you'll get the asking?
yea, I think so. It has deffo been slow. About 7 different people came to view since its been up (2.5 weeks). Just one offer made, but I'm not in a hurry.

Apparently 1 in 6 are looking to buy (according to some Permanent TSB report published today) and there isn't a lot on sale. I'll bide my time. I've told the agent I'll go sale agreed right away for 10k over the asking (bearing in mind the valuation they gave me at the start).

Like what? Out of curiosity
A big one is the driving license for example.
I passed the test in the US probably 17 years ago or something, and I've been insured to drive cars and bikes since. Upon arriving here I had to go back to applying for a L permit, and start taking lessons.
Banking stuff, taxation stuff, anything regarding proof of address, even getting a pay phone was tricky. Just general pandemonium and confusion.

I'm not mad, I knew it would be hard. I didn't think it would be as hard as it was, but these lines like "oh come on back we'll look after yis" can fuck right off. Disingenuous sound bites, designed to make people feel good about themselves.

Ireland is not at all set up for emigrating to.

american cars are fake and the roads are like a chess board though
Kinda fair. I was only driving automatic cars over there for about 10 + years. I didn't buy a manual until a few years before I left. Then the yoke I bought, Mazda3 with a 2.something litre engine, was insane and took ages to get comfortable in. Although it was lovely.

But it isn't "you need to start again from scratch" different. If you've been at it for 20 years, and barely killing anyone, you're probably ok.

I'll thinking it's likely I'll never drive bikes again because the rigmarole to redo the bike test is a bit much at this point in my life.

Most cars sold in America aren't American.
They're European or Asian. Americans drive more Toyotas than Fords.

The testing (and failing!) & badged learner system contribute half nothing to road safety - driving safely is a piece of piss and comes naturally to anyone with even a bit of road experience.
Driving in Ireland isn't dangerous because people don't know the allowable load on a hump back bridge or how far to park from a kerb, it's because people drive like lunatics on country roads when they should know better.

Driving in Ireland is a racket.

Most cars sold in America aren't American.
They're European or Asian. Americans drive more Toyotas than Fords.

The testing (and failing!) & badged learner system contribute half nothing to road safety - driving safely is a piece of piss and comes naturally to anyone with even a bit of road experience.
Driving in Ireland isn't dangerous because people don't know the allowable load on a hump back bridge or how far to park from a kerb, it's because people drive like lunatics on country roads when they should know better.

Driving in Ireland is a racket.
I was driving home through ballymun on Friday night, coming up Santry Avenue to take a right onto the ballymun road and up to the m50. I was first at the lights and as soon as the filter light went green I started moving out into the junction, only to have some lad roll through the red light on my right at a leisurely pace and drive straight past in front of me. Much beeping and flashing of lights ensued and the guy hadn’t a fuckin breeze what was wrong. That’s not a minimum tread depth on a tractor tyre-type scenario, that’s just idiocy.

I was driving home through ballymun on Friday night, coming up Santry Avenue to take a right onto the ballymun road and up to the m50. I was first at the lights and as soon as the filter light went green I started moving out into the junction, only to have some lad roll through the red light on my right at a leisurely pace and drive straight past in front of me. Much beeping and flashing of lights ensued and the guy hadn’t a fuckin breeze what was wrong. That’s not a minimum tread depth on a tractor tyre-type scenario, that’s just idiocy.
I’m not usually a “make the punishment more severe, that’ll learn them” type of person but the penalties for reckless and dangerous driving are too soft. A points system that poses no real risk to your driving capabilities or the potential for significant prison time are so remote that no one thinks of doing mad shit. Speeding is one of the leading causes of death in the country and can be easily fixed by not treating drivers with kid gloves when they break the law.

The main issue is that the law is simply not enforced. Making the punishment harsher will have no effect if they continue to fail to police it. I regularly pass through the junction Pete mentioned, often on the bike. I never pass through without looking in every direction first.

The main issue is that the law is simply not enforced. Making the punishment harsher will have no effect if they continue to fail to police it. I regularly pass through the junction Pete mentioned, often on the bike. I never pass through without looking in every direction first.
Well yeah, obviously that too.

I do between 1000 - 2000 KM a week for work and I consider myself a considerate, safe and good driver.
I can confirm the amount of shit, stupid, ignorant and downright dangerous driving that I see multiple times A DAY is astounding, Because of an inadequate training and testing system, not to mention fuck all enforcement of shit penalties

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back