Moving to the sticks (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

But to reiterate, the graves wouldn't concern me at all, it's the people coming and going as they please into my driveway and walking around my garden.
It seems odd that they can sell the house as a domestic residence while the graveyard us still public property and actively used.

I think I would kind of like it
Chatting with people on a Sunday, talking about the weather and death and so on

But I'm chatty like that. Definitely not for everyone.

The real problem would be having people ask to use the jacks. You'd need a whole routine on how to say 'fuck off' politely. Ol' wans are only divils for needing the jacks.

Ah here, are you trying to make me cry?

Haven't even fixed the boat yet (as if that work will ever end).

That last one is basically just like that Lankum video.

You've spurred me to look at what's going on around my endz.

Neither of these places are that close to where I'm actually from.
The majority of the rest of it is just mcmansions. Personally I think they're some damn ugly and pointless gaffs. I guess if you're inside looking out it's better than being on the outside looking in. But they just look unsustainable soulless and shit.

This post could go in a few different threads.

A couple of interesting ones though:

Estate agents are fucking terrible photographers.

love this. I wonder if the biscuit tin and the old telly are thrown in as part of the sale.

those old cottages are great. So much history in them and the layout of the inside is classic.

unfortunately I'm not sure much is salvageable, other than the exterior walls.

its on an acre but I reckon 6.5 grand rather than 65 grand, would be a fairer price

there was some report recently where some government body looked at some derelict properties and determined that most were not economically viable for restoration. i.e. the purchase and restoration costs would be greater than the value of the restored property. will see if i can find a link.

there was some report recently where some government body looked at some derelict properties and determined that most were not economically viable for restoration. i.e. the purchase and restoration costs would be greater than the value of the restored property. will see if i can find a link.

There was I glanced at it too - though the term economically viable is a little loaded.

At present its in the region of 3000 a square M to build, average in Ireland. If there wasn't inflation across the board and so on that could be 2700 or so, or in DIY terms maybe 2000 which could push a fair few of them back into the frame.

Conversley anything i've looked at an done back of an envelop things on did seem bordering on a false econony and would be done for the want of doing it, which is a very valid path in life.

but some counterpoint

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back