Moving to the sticks (3 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

What's so great about Dublin anyway?!
For a city of its size it is desperately underwhelming
Same as any city - higher density of people means there are more people you have stuff in common with close by. Plenty of musicians where I live in culshie-land, but not so easy to find one with similar musical taste to me (just as an example)

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

I want Dublin less and less for the city - it's kind of a shithole in some ways, great in others
I used to LOVE living in Dublin, fucking pubs everywhere, steady enough supply of gigs, and good cinemas
All of those things have lost their luster in one way or another
I love it for access to the mountains, Howth walks and sea swimming now.

As I get older what I care most about is time being active and with the people I love.
I'd be reluctant to move any farther away from my family than I am now - but if the centre of your wellbeing is being with the missus, then that's not really a problem for you.

Could you make this work by renting the place in Dublin for a year and hedging your bets?
This is a one-way decision. Once you're out of that price bracket, you're usually out for good.
If you're not having kids, there's less point in keeping a Dublin house.

From what i can tell from being on here, you're a pretty clear thinker; if you haven't thought of a dealbreaker reason to not do this, there probably isn't one.

Last thing. Your other half will know way more about what is gonna work for you two than a bunch of lads on a message board. Women are brilliant at this stuff.

Good luck

if the centre of your wellbeing is being with the missus, then that's not really a problem for you
Me and Mrs. egg_ have been together 30+ years, and while we've had years-long periods of Princess Bride-style True Love (and not just when we were young) there have also been years-long bumpy periods, some of which were made worse by me having all my eggs in her basket. If you're moving someplace where you know hardly anyone I'd say you both ought to prioritise making other social connections there, just to take the pressure off one another a bit

I suppose if you count charity shops.

In fairness there's way worse places to live than Navan. Decent pubs, decent music scene, lots of good people, arts centre, good coffee shops, going to Dublin for a gig and you'll be home by midnight if you want. Less choice for nice things if you're into shopping but that's about it.
It used to bother me when Dubliners be like "oh fair play you came all that way for the gig". You wouldn't say that to someone from fucking Shankill.

About 30 years ago when I left home every time I visited people would ask "Are you in Dublin all the time?" (it's the local colloquialism). I used to be smug in my belief that they imagined I was up to all sorts of "front page of The Sunday World" shenanigans in the big smoke.

Years later when the younger generation started traveling the world and doing extraordinary things I felt like such a failure when people would ask me that. It felt like such a judgment.

God, thanks for bringing back the memories. When I went up to Dublin I had exactly this. They hate Dublin.

niall-horan-bogger.jpg

do you know people in kilkenny? i.e. would you be leaving a 'local' social life, and rebuilding one there?
yeah, the ma is from there. She moved back down at the start of covid so I've been down there a lot since then. And I think its a great city.

Like, Dublin has a lot to offer if you make the effort. But when I'm in Kilkenny I do far more things, because there is far less to do (but still plenty), and it takes a lot less effort. Everywhere is walkable. The air is cleaner. The people are nicer.

I felt much the same way about Dublin when I moved out in 2001. I don't think the same now though, moving out helps you to appreciate it. Plus I also like living in a small(er) town for much of the same reasons you mention about Kilkenny.

What's my point, I don't now. Good luck with the decision.

I did this a few years ago and don't regret it

By the time we decided to leave Dublin everyone I knew had moved out to the suburbs, started families, and stopped socializing, so there wasn't much keeping us there anymore.

The only thing is I don't know anyone where I live now so have no social life whatsoever. It's good to get to Dublin for the odd gig but that usually involves getting a hotel so it's a rare enough thing.

My girlfriend still has to commute some days and it takes ages and costs a fortune.

I felt much the same way about Dublin when I moved out in 2001. I don't think the same now though, moving out helps you to appreciate it. Plus I also like living in a small(er) town for much of the same reasons you mention about Kilkenny.

What's my point, I don't now. Good luck with the decision.
thanks.

any regrets?

I did this a few years ago and don't regret it

By the time we decided to leave Dublin everyone I knew had moved out to the suburbs, started families, and stopped socializing, so there wasn't much keeping us there anymore.

The only thing is I don't know anyone where I live now so have no social life whatsoever. It's good to get to Dublin for the odd gig but that usually involves getting a hotel so it's a rare enough thing.

My girlfriend still has to commute some days and it takes ages and costs a fortune.
nice one, thanks. This is the thing. I reckon if we pull the trigger and move, there'll be no turning back, so I need to be absolutely sure about it. And Kilkenny is only a little over an hour from the red cow, so commuting a day or 2 a week wouldn't be out of the question either.

one thing i'd love to do would be to buy a house with a load of land and have my own woodland.

but when we bought this place (in 2012) one of the primary rules i had in our checklist was that it had to be walkable to a shop, even just one you could buy milk or butter in. so we got a suburban (inside M50) house with a decent sized garden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back