Moving to the sticks (3 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

this is in motion. Viewed an amazing gaff on friday that is well within budget and I've put in an offer. seems there are no other bidders so fingers crossed.

Timing is good too cos I'm looking around at the job market to see whats-what. Its a good tester of how much remote work there is, or how hybrid, hybrid roles are.
That’s brilliant news, fingers crossed for you.

the laid-backness of kilkenny estate agents is starting to get on my tits a bit now. Buying a gaff is a pretty big deal for anyone, but them fuckers are so laid back that they just leave you hanging. Some other lad came in and started bidding and drove up the price a bit. He hasn't been heard from in nearly a week so I presume he's gone, but still no word from the estate agents to let me know one way or other. The bleedin jaysus stress of it all.

the laid-backness of kilkenny estate agents is starting to get on my tits a bit now. Buying a gaff is a pretty big deal for anyone, but them fuckers are so laid back that they just leave you hanging. Some other lad came in and started bidding and drove up the price a bit. He hasn't been heard from in nearly a week so I presume he's gone, but still no word from the estate agents to let me know one way or other. The bleedin jaysus stress of it all.
I think they’re all like that, don’t they work on commission so there’s no incentive for them to close a deal quickly. Seller wants that too. It’s shit for everyone else.

the difference in commission for them is not exactly massive though, is it? they typically make about 1.5%, so holding out for another 5 grand from a buyer - which could be a week delay - could be 75 quid.
when i bought this place, at the bottom in 2012, estate agents were latching onto whoever seemed committed; they were chasing the safe bets rather than the high bets.

I think they’re all like that, don’t they work on commission so there’s no incentive for them to close a deal quickly. Seller wants that too. It’s shit for everyone else.
yeah, thats it. But no one else has shown any interest and its at the list price now. Yer man selling needs it sold sooner rather than later cos he's leaving the country by May and will need the legals tied up by then. That doesn't give him a lot of leeway as these things tend to take 6-8 weeks.

Well done. What's the place like?
a modest enough 3 bed semi-detached but its a unique style thats not in a housing estate, and just on the edge of town, right near the train station (if you know kilkenny).

or if you mean Kilkenny in general, its AMAZING!

getting out of a housing estate is going to amazing

a modest enough 3 bed semi-detached but its a unique style thats not in a housing estate, and just on the edge of town, right near the train station (if you know kilkenny).

or if you mean Kilkenny in general, its AMAZING!

getting out of a housing estate is going to amazing
yeah - I think I know the train station. at that junction one road into goes into 'the city' centre via the old bridge. one road heads out to the ring road / by-pass. the other road goes out of 'the city' towards the north of the county.

and you're very close to Nolan Park too, for the hurling.

Do they play championship matches there or will you have to settle for the league?
kilkenny only play championship matches if they have a home/away arrangement with another county. At the moment I think that's only with Tipp and the next time they play will be in Tipp. Otherwise it'll be champo games not featuring kilkenny, and the odd big-ball game, which I have no interest in. And a tonne of club stuff. The odd bob dylan and bruce springsteen gig too

kilkenny only play championship matches if they have a home/away arrangement with another county. At the moment I think that's only with Tipp and the next time they play will be in Tipp. Otherwise it'll be champo games not featuring kilkenny, and the odd big-ball game, which I have no interest in. And a tonne of club stuff. The odd bob dylan and bruce springsteen gig too
Neil Young (w/ Dylan) and Dolly Parton too.

as you say it's the big hurling venue in the south east. often used as neutral venue.

This church is being sold as a residence near where I live. I went to have a look and its "garden" is a working graveyard with fresh graves. Not sure I'd like (living) people coming and going in my front lawn. If it was a decommissioned graveyard I'd love it.

This church is being sold as a residence near where I live. I went to have a look and its "garden" is a working graveyard with fresh graves. Not sure I'd like (living) people coming and going in my front lawn. If it was a decommissioned graveyard I'd love it.
It’s not the corpses that would bother me, it would be people visiting the graves while I’m having a BBQ or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back