Moving to the sticks (2 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

Another thing that's... well, maybe it's not sticks living related? But around here there'd be people who'd just open your door, pop in a few fish / cake / buns or something, and then leg it. (So as the seagulls or rooks wouldn't get it.)

I'd be off somewhere in the house, and I'd hear some kind of commotion and go down to investigate, not notice the buns but come to the conclusion that the place probably is lightly haunted after all.

Then you'd go back down and notice three pollock wrapped up in a newspaper that you'd missed before.

Another thing that's... well, maybe it's not sticks living related? But around here there'd be people who'd just open your door, pop in a few fish / cake / buns or something, and then leg it. (So as the seagulls or rooks wouldn't get it.)

I'd be off somewhere in the house, and I'd hear some kind of commotion and go down to investigate, not notice the buns but come to the conclusion that the place probably is lightly haunted after all.

Then you'd go back down and notice three pollock wrapped up in a newspaper that you'd missed before.

only two potential explanations
explanation 1:
they are fattening you up for sacrifice to mananan mc lir, to appease his anger and ensure bounteous harvests of fish for the coming season
explanation 2:
they are mystified by your foreign ways, and think you are a god.

Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?
There’s functioning public transport from Kilkenny to Dublin, so hypothetically with a potential future job that makes you go in to the office a day a week, you just have a long day listening to music there and back.
I’ve to go into the office twice a week at the moment so I stay in Blanch those days and it’s a 90 min journey from Kildare st. Probably not far off what your commute could be.
So if this could be the case, somewhere closer to Kilkenny town rather than a remote area is probably the better option.

Oh nice. People are are all for calling in to Scutter and we’ve been stuck in hickville for years with nothing.

Ok that’s not true, there’s been a few Thumpers in, but that’s beside the point.
I haven't even gotten a licence yet! I do apologize though, yiz were in my thoughts down in that pub probably more often than you'd think.

I haven't even gotten a licence yet! I do apologize though, yiz were in my thoughts down in that pub probably more often than you'd think.

I’m just feeling sorry for myself because it’s cold and miserable here today, and the dog made a break for it when I took her out this morning. She never runs off but did this one time and I’d to chase her down the road in pyjamas while parents were dropping the kids in to school. I’m now that Dublin person.

There’s functioning public transport from Kilkenny to Dublin, so hypothetically with a potential future job that makes you go in to the office a day a week, you just have a long day listening to music there and back.
I’ve to go into the office twice a week at the moment so I stay in Blanch those days and it’s a 90 min journey from Kildare st. Probably not far off what your commute could be.
So if this could be the case, somewhere closer to Kilkenny town rather than a remote area is probably the better option.
eh, Kilkenny is a city

but yeah, you are spot on and thats why I have things back on track. The gaff I'm looking at it a short walk from the train station, so ideal for that and also hopping out onto the motorway in the car.

I'm out of the country for another bit but I have my ma enlisted to go view the gaff tomorrow for me.

same, and I always intended to detour by that way if ever I was in Limerick. I just never was in Limerick.

I drove by that pub once in my life, back in the Killinascully days.

eh, Kilkenny is a city

but yeah, you are spot on and thats why I have things back on track. The gaff I'm looking at it a short walk from the train station, so ideal for that and also hopping out onto the motorway in the car.

I'm out of the country for another bit but I have my ma enlisted to go view the gaff tomorrow for me.
KILKENNY CITY, sorry.
I get in to trouble a lot calling Limerick a town too. Jackeens, what can you do?

KILKENNY CITY, sorry.
I get in to trouble a lot calling Limerick a town too. Jackeens, what can you do?
actual conversation between a Dublin lad I know and a woman he got talking to on the train

Lad I know: "Alright where are you from"
Woman on Train: "Kilkenny"
Lad I know: "Whats it like living in the countryside"
Woman on Train: "I'm from the city. Kilkenny city"
Lad I know: "THATS IN THE BLEEDIN COUNTRYSIDE"

same, and I always intended to detour by that way if ever I was in Limerick. I just never was in Limerick.

I drove by that pub once in my life, back in the Killinascully days.
Still get a lot of people heading out for the show.
During lockdown I used to squash right up to the bedroom window upstairs if I saw someone taking photos, so when the looked at them later it would look like a ghost. Had an idea to make it seem like the most haunted pub in Ireland and then someone would want to buy it. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

this is in motion. Viewed an amazing gaff on friday that is well within budget and I've put in an offer. seems there are no other bidders so fingers crossed.

Timing is good too cos I'm looking around at the job market to see whats-what. Its a good tester of how much remote work there is, or how hybrid, hybrid roles are.

actual conversation between a Dublin lad I know and a woman he got talking to on the train

Lad I know: "Alright where are you from"
Woman on Train: "Kilkenny"
Lad I know: "Whats it like living in the countryside"
Woman on Train: "I'm from the city. Kilkenny city"
Lad I know: "THATS IN THE BLEEDIN COUNTRYSIDE"
Kilkenny "City" always makes me laugh.
Any other regional towns that are called cities?
EDIT: also there are places near me with populations of circa 1,000 or less that call themselves towns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back