Lack Of Fitness/Aches And Pains/Fitness Thread (1 Viewer)

dunderhead

Sciatica? anyone here had to deal with this shit? last two or three weeks hurts like hell when I stand up/sit down. Piercing what feels like nerve pain at base of right arse cheek, down the back of thigh/knee and sometimes down as far as the heel. Have been moaning to plenty of people about it. Pretty sure its sciatic nerve damage anyway.

So bad I'm even considering paying for a physio for first time in my life. Have signed up to do The Cork River Lee 2km swim in July, hoping this doesn't get in the way. thought initially over-swimming was the cause of it. might have been. anyone else have experience/offer advice on this almost literal pain in the hole?

go to the physio. Its worth it. They'll check your posture, and also if you're building up one part of your body too much - that can cause strain on another part that you're not developing. If swimming is the only exercise you're doing, chances are that might be the cause.

Sciatica? anyone here had to deal with this shit? last two or three weeks hurts like hell when I stand up/sit down. Piercing what feels like nerve pain at base of right arse cheek, down the back of thigh/knee and sometimes down as far as the heel. Have been moaning to plenty of people about it. Pretty sure its sciatic nerve damage anyway.

So bad I'm even considering paying for a physio for first time in my life. Have signed up to do The Cork River Lee 2km swim in July, hoping this doesn't get in the way. thought initially over-swimming was the cause of it. might have been. anyone else have experience/offer advice on this almost literal pain in the hole?

could be one of your sacroiliac joints. I was that soldier. talk to a GP before you shell out for physio.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction (SI Joint Pain)

Just as a side note, I've no enemies. Merely I don't get much time or availability for my own relaxation chill out time so I chose Sunday. No aches and pains yet perhaps tomorrow weather permitting

Yep could be any number of things really although the sciatic nerve is around there somewhere and can give people problems

i used to have something similar pretty bad at times, it used to be terrible when i'd get up in the morning (probably the shitty bed i had in a rented gaff)

it's improved massively since i started paying more attention to my posture, especially sitting and walking

Posture is important, yeah? I was/am having all sort of weird head shit going on since last summer. I suggested it might be the way I was sitting at the computer to the doctor but he told me it was a sinus infection so I took a course of antibiotics and spent a fortune these decongestant yokes for months that did fuck all but I think it was my posture. A couple of weeks ago I tied a load of cardboard and cushions to the back of the chair to force me into a better position and the head has been behaving since.

Hmmm..... It's a risky strategy. Mind fucks are an extreme pain in the arse. A slow release might be worth trying. Yeah my posture is better the last few weeks.

Posture is important, yeah? I was/am having all sort of weird head shit going on since last summer. I suggested it might be the way I was sitting at the computer to the doctor but he told me it was a sinus infection so I took a course of antibiotics and spent a fortune these decongestant yokes for months that did fuck all but I think it was my posture. A couple of weeks ago I tied a load of cardboard and cushions to the back of the chair to force me into a better position and the head has been behaving since.
Shaney, you should consider a yoga class. I'm kind of the same in that I sit slouched all day every day, but if you work on your flexibility it doesn't take too much of a toll on you.

same with @dunderhead , something like yoga would hugely compliment any other training you're doing.

I've had this for about three months , ever since I hurt my back. I figure by compensating for back pain my posture must have affected the sciatic nerve. I'd ask a doctor but pay packets say no. Maybe next month.

I've been told acupuncture is really good in some cases.

Weirdly acupuncture, out of all the alternative medicines, has a better track record than most when it comes to pain relief. There is a meta analysis that is currently ongoing looking at acupuncture in sciatica but no results published yet.

Generally, for pain relief The evidence isn't always convincing but it can perform better than placebo. I think it is still working as a placebo in the same way that if you get a plain saline injection versus taking a sugar pill, you get a stronger placebo effect because it feels like an injection should be more potent. The very fact that acupuncture involves needles means that it probably works better (and let's be honest, a placebo effect can be quite strong in terms of pain relief so I'm not trying to say it does nothing).

I will point out that the evidence for it working outside pain relief is a lot spottier. If there is true value in acupuncture, acupuncturists are doing themselves a disservice by clouding the waters by claiming it works for everything and by combining it with absolute bullshit like homeopathy.

Shaney, you should consider a yoga class. I'm kind of the same in that I sit slouched all day every day, but if you work on your flexibility it doesn't take too much of a toll on you.

same with @dunderhead , something like yoga would hugely compliment any other training you're doing.
I took up yoga for my back pain (caused by working at a lab bench all day) and it made a big difference. As well as strengthening your core and other muscles, it makes you more aware of your body position so I cert find myself adjusting my posture more often to avoid the back pain from returning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back