Returning to Ireland advice thread (I've made a huge mistake part II) (1 Viewer)

flashback

Hey -

I've been living in the US for a long time now, but I'll be moving back to Ireland.

I don't have very much stuff, but there'll be a container going over with whatever crap we've accumulated nonetheless. Mainly this will be bikes, and tools. I think I'll wheel an old motorbike on too, although it's not running at the moment.

Has anyone done this sort of thing? Is there anything I'm probably going to screw up? I've been gone for probably 20 years, Ireland is really different seeming now than it was. Laws seem to be a bit more legal and stuff.

So far I've realised that:
My US driving license won't be recognized,
I don't qualify for a mortgage at all because even though I have the same job my contract changed (to allow me work in a diff country), and I haven't had a job in Ireland for two years.
I need to get my kids a number like a US SSN before they can go to school.

So I can't buy a place to live, drive anywhere, and my kids can't go to school. But other than that it's plain sailing?

Or is it?

Any suggestions on what I should bring (other than a fresh dose of SARS-CoV-2 obviously) - along with any other pains in the hole I'm about to face into, would be welcome.

There would be vrt on that bike. See if it's worth it
Nice one @xsteox - how does that work?

I was thinking I'd wheel the bike into the container, and then work on it in Ireland.
If I get it going then cool, I'll pay to get it registered and onto the roads, if it turns out it's knackered then oh well. Maybe I could flog the parts online or give it away or something.

The bike is more than 10 years old, and 650cc if that matters.

I don't qualify for a mortgage at all because even though I have the same job my contract changed (to allow me work in a diff country), and I haven't had a job in Ireland for two years.

are you 100% on this? if its the same company continuity/continuance of employment may be demonstrated by a letter from management or HR might be ok. However if there the sort of global corporate bullshit that dosn't give references beyond 'flashback worked here' that might be difficult.

are you quitting the job to come back? or will they facilitate relocation. A lot of the IT crowds will pay towards the cost of relocation.

I would have thought the rental market would be a lot looser due to the pandemic and the arse is about to fall out of the property market, so timing might work in your favour.

The driving licence thing is a pain in the hole, but just do it and get it done. Then you're sorted til your 75.

Its only recently that I started spending more time out of Ireland that I've started to appreciate it more. In general I think moving back here will mostly be a good thing.

the arse is about to fall out of the property market
really? it's not a topic i've been following (case in point: my current knowledge is gleaned purely from spying a headline on a red top saying 'house sales to go up as glut of mortgage approvals given with plenty of people now wanting to move' or summat)

really? it's not a topic i've been following (case in point: my current knowledge is gleaned purely from spying a headline on a red top saying 'house sales to go up as glut of mortgage approvals given with plenty of people now wanting to move' or summat)
my ma sold our family home during lockdown-1. The estate agents were saying they were expecting something of a decline early in the new year. We were lucky in that we went sale agreed before lockdown, and everything proceeded as planned. Dunno though, maybe thats all gonna change because of a more positive outlook with the vaccine due, etc.

🤷‍♂️

my two cents would be that Irish house prices are what they are primarily due to speculative finance so it depends what happens worldwide, they could drop massively if the economy all falls apart but that's nothing to do with supply and demand. I imagine Dublin prices might drop a little if some of the big tech guys move out/let people work from home all the time. Rural prices might rise as/if fast internet is rolled out?

The real question is which commune is Flashback joining? Ann Post's or Lili's?

🤷‍♂️

my two cents would be that Irish house prices are what they are primarily due to speculative finance so it depends what happens worldwide, they could drop massively if the economy all falls apart but that's nothing to do with supply and demand.
Reckon that's the nub of it alright

are you quitting the job to come back? or will they facilitate relocation. A lot of the IT crowds will pay towards the cost of relocation.

I would have thought the rental market would be a lot looser due to the pandemic and the arse is about to fall out of the property market, so timing might work in your favour.

The driving licence thing is a pain in the hole, but just do it and get it done. Then you're sorted til your 75.

Its only recently that I started spending more time out of Ireland that I've started to appreciate it more. In general I think moving back here will mostly be a good thing.

The job thing is a bit strange, thus the no mortgage.

I'd be doing the same job, but since I'd be working in a different country I'd be moved to a different contract. The way it works is rather than me getting paid to do the work, I'd set up a company and that company would be paid to do the work. So I'd be doing the same job, for the same people, but the contract would have changed.

The crowd that employ me paid to get me moved to DC, but I'm the one that wants to leave the US so they're not going to pay for that naturally.

are you 100% on this? if its the same company continuity/continuance of employment may be demonstrated by a letter from management or HR might be ok. However if there the sort of global corporate bullshit that dosn't give references beyond 'flashback worked here' that might be difficult.

Seemingly so. Since the job will be done outside the US now, I'll have to set up my own company and employ myself. That qualifies as a change of employment, despite the fact I'd be doing the same job for the same people. I ran that idea of wouldn't a letter from the chief saying this, but they don't care as the lending criteria are very strict now.
After two years or something I'd qualify, it's not the end of the world, just annoying.

I'm more worried about things in the nearer term future right now. My son has this bearded dragon lizard... I've no idea how I'm going to bring that bloody thing over for example.

I've no advice.....but what made you decide to move back?

I never liked the US. I thought that if I stayed long enough maybe I would start to get used to it, but it didn't happen.

For me it feels like a very hostile place. The cops here are at war with the public, pretty much. There's this obsession with extracting money out of you from every angle, for example if you get sick you're potentially going to be screwed (depending on how your health insurance company acts), any concept of going to college or anything like that will result in you being massively in debt.

To me it's just a weird, violent, very restricted society.

There's a lot of reasons, some are silly. Over the last year or two I've no longer been able to deal with the heat for example, once it gets over ~30C I start suffering pretty badly.

Like clearly it's a huge pain in the arse to move back, I'm essentially an American at this point, totally out of the loop of what's going on in Ireland. Moving is expensive, and disruptive, it's pretty much the end of my career in the sense I'm not going to get promoted I'd guess. But I think that it's worth it. I fundamentally don't like living in the US, or US society, so I'm willing to do quite a lot to get away from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back