Returning to Ireland advice thread (I've made a huge mistake part II) (1 Viewer)

“If Biden wins I’m emigrating!” types?

No no. There wasn't any of that. MAGA types don't actually emigrate anyway, they just brave out the slightly less vocally racist times with hopes for the glorious future.

Nah, they were all just normal people, all families apart from one single woman, with mental health issues, and all very relieved seeming.

There was some mumbling about the whole "learning Irish" thing, and worried glances at the kids roaming about.

When I say loads, I mean... I'm talking 5 or 6 here. I'm exaggerating wildly, for effect. Maybe 7 groups. The flight was virtually empty though, so the fraction of travelers who were not planing on going back to the US was high.

No no. There wasn't any of that. MAGA types don't actually emigrate anyway, they just brave out the slightly less vocally racist times with hopes for the glorious future.

Nah, they were all just normal people, all families apart from one single woman, with mental health issues, and all very relieved seeming.

There was some mumbling about the whole "learning Irish" thing, and worried glances at the kids roaming about.

When I say loads, I mean... I'm talking 5 or 6 here. I'm exaggerating wildly, for effect. Maybe 7 groups. The flight was virtually empty though, so the fraction of travelers who were not planing on going back to the US was high.
I've noticed a few Americans on podcasts I listen saying similar, "We need to push Biden hard from the left to get us through the next few years but i'm doing everything I can to emigrate because it's all over, the MAGA types have won the war" kind of thing. Not the Brooklyn Hipster podcasts of people in their 20s and 30s but older generations.

Aren’t there exceptions from learning the cúpla focail available for non-natives?

Not sure.

There's a number of "fuck it, we'll do it live" sections to my whole plan here. They'll both be going into Primary school anyway. The younger one will have no problems, seeing as she's a girl and therefore simply better at more or less everything. The boy might have a tougher time, we'll see.

The girlfriend here moved to Ireland aged 5 I think and was not ready for this whole new language in school no one had told her about lol

I've noticed a few Americans on podcasts I listen saying similar, "We need to push Biden hard from the left to get us through the next few years but i'm doing everything I can to emigrate because it's all over, the MAGA types have won the war" kind of thing. Not the Brooklyn Hipster podcasts of people in their 20s and 30s but older generations.

No idea. But, you know what, I don't care quite as much any more. Which is very selfish and so on, but... yeah, America will do its thing. And I'll watch.

No idea. But, you know what, I don't care quite as much any more. Which is very selfish and so on, but... yeah, America will do its thing. And I'll watch.
there's no fucking escape man, Ireland is a vassal state of Silicon Valley.

Well, in fairness, here I am in the wilds of Kerry trying to escape it.

there's no fucking escape man, Ireland is a vassal state of Silicon Valley.

Well, in fairness, here I am in the wilds of Kerry trying to escape it.

look, from where I'm sitting that's good enough.

Haha. I'll take vassal state every day of the week.

I think it was @rettucs who said it above, but... yeah, yiz don't know how good you've got it. Not you personally like, but, the reality of life is very very harsh in the US, even if you're a kind of middle class whitey. It takes a toll. Americans are often weird for a reason. If vassal state is the alternative to living in an actual police state, I'll take the former. I have NO plans to go back to the US, and will categorically never live there again.

Changed the time zone on my computer.

Noticed that the plugs here are mad industrial looking pieces of kit altogether.

Soon I'll be able to work out what direction the cars are coming from. Basically a local now.

Changed the time zone on my computer.

Noticed that the plugs here are mad industrial looking pieces of kit altogether.

Soon I'll be able to work out what direction the cars are coming from. Basically a local now.

My mates, when we used to be able to go to Primavera in Barcelona, had a term, the "death look" for when you walked out into traffic because you'd checked the wrong side of the road for incoming cars. Good luck with that.

Aren’t there exceptions from learning the cúpla focail available for non-natives?
There are,but i'm not sure how it works,possibly on age when starting school here or something.

There are kids i work with (admittedly born here) whose parents barely speak english and the kid is barely verbal at all and they still have to do irish.
But,definitely look into it if thats what you want.

My mates, when we used to be able to go to Primavera in Barcelona, had a term, the "death look" for when you walked out into traffic because you'd checked the wrong side of the road for incoming cars. Good luck with that.
I like it. That's getting added to the vocabulary.

It's more or less ok once I'm on the road, going in a direction. It's the turning through a junction, when there's no cars around that gets complicated.

One of the lads I was in school with threatened to lend me a motorbike. At least on a car it's all kind of oriented so that you know there's a side that should be in the middle, and a side that's nearer the path. But motorbikes are symmetrical, and I'd definitely screw up and die.

Plus it's fooking freezing out, and I'm a soft American.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back