Returning to Ireland advice thread (I've made a huge mistake part II) (3 Viewers)

the streets in cork are paved with gold boi.

Nah. I'm well aware I'm stepping into another massive clusterfuck. Ireland is still Ireland I'm guessing. But on the bright side, it's not the US.
Can I ask what age your kids are? What do they make of it all? I imagine Ireland would be quite the change if they were growing up in Maryland (or Washington DC was it? Are they the same?? God i'm so ignorant) before this?

FWIW Mrs. egg_'s cousin moved back here (rural Meath) with husband and 2 kids from Chicago earlier in the year. I don't really know how they're doing, but anytime I see those kids they seem cheerful enough, and my 12 year old who goes to the same Pure Culshie school as them says they're doing ok

Can I ask what age your kids are? What do they make of it all? I imagine Ireland would be quite the change if they were growing up in Maryland (or Washington DC was it? Are they the same?? God i'm so ignorant) before this?

They're both still primary school age. They actually kind of grew up in NYC/NJ, I trucked them out to MD a few years back, which seemed to agree with them. What's called the DMV area (DC, Maryland, Virginia) is a sort of region around DC, since DC itself is so small.

They know Ireland, to some extent. They've been out and they like the place.

When I told them we were heading there, they asked if it was cooler in the summer. That was about it. The general consensus seemed to be "fuck it, we'll do it live".

That wasn't too bad at all.

I ended up getting a United Flight, and there was a handful of people on it. Lizards are safe. Bike box got opened and examined, but I'll assume that's OK for the time being.

Everyone was... like... lovely. I mean, every staff member in the airport, planes, baggage, Irish immigration, just nothing. No problems. I took three jumbo American Body Bags that were so massive they kind of dripped over the scales. The kids had their massive wheelie carry-ons. I had all the heavy heavy stuff in my rucksack, plus a container of lizards.

But yeah. Strolled through, out into the fairly Baltic Dublin airport Taxi place, and there was immediately a fight between two Taxi lads, to the point that I had to ask them to not have a fight at 7am in front of my kids. Dublin. Class.

Done!

I ended up getting a United Flight, and there was a handful of people on it. Lizards are safe. Bike box got opened and examined, but I'll assume that's OK for the time being.

Everyone was... like... lovely. I mean, every staff member in the airport, planes, baggage, Irish immigration, just nothing. No problems. I took three jumbo American Body Bags that were so massive they kind of dripped over the scales. The kids had their massive wheelie carry-ons. I had all the heavy heavy stuff in my rucksack, plus a container of lizards.

But yeah. Strolled through, out into the fairly Baltic Dublin airport Taxi place, and there was immediately a fight between two Taxi lads, to the point that I had to ask them to not have a fight at 7am in front of my kids. Dublin. Class.

Done!
@rettucs will not be impressed with this. He wants people beaten up at the airport.

Welcome home, it's lashing rain and windy yayyy

@rettucs will not be impressed with this. He wants people beaten up at the airport.

Welcome home, it's lashing rain and windy yayyy

They were putting the effort in. Things had progressed through the getting very close stage and had elevated all the way to the hard poking stage.

Once you hit the hard poking stage you're on a knife edge. Although they were both rough enough looking 50 + year olds, so it would have been brief. Although you never know.

That was the most dramatic part of the entire journey though.

Done!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had an American accent when I started primary school. The other kids thought I was cool. Then I got older and they decided I was a rich privileged asshole who probably thought I was better than them.

I was better than them of course, but that's not the point.

Done!
told ya! Its kind of hard to correlate what you experience yourself when you travel with what the angry hordes on Irish Twitter are ranting on about like fucking lunatics. It all feels very safe. You're travelling on a half-empty plane, there's no one in the airport, everything is less rushed, everyone travelling with you has been tested. Now you'll do your quarantine, and have the option for the added test after 5 days (which I did after I came back). But mostly, you can relaxxxxxxxxxxx. For a bit anyway until the overwhelming negativity of the pricks in this country, who don't realise how good they have it, starts to seep in under every defence you've put up!

I had an American accent when I started primary school. The other kids thought I was cool. Then I got older and they decided I was a rich privileged asshole who probably thought I was better than them.

I was better than them of course, but that's not the point.

Story. Of. My. Life.

told ya! Its kind of hard to correlate what you experience yourself when you travel with what the angry hordes on Irish Twitter are ranting on about like fucking lunatics. It all feels very safe. You're travelling on a half-empty plane, there's no one in the airport, everything is less rushed, everyone travelling with you has been tested. Now you'll do your quarantine, and have the option for the added test after 5 days (which I did after I came back). But mostly, you can relaxxxxxxxxxxx. For a bit anyway until the overwhelming negativity of the pricks in this country, who don't realise how good they have it, starts to seep in under every defence you've put up!

I swear to god... it really is. It's *graaaaaaand*.

Literally the only time I was even a tiny bit annoyed was on the connector flight within the US, where a lad came down the isle wearing an American flag ALL Lives matter t-shirt. And I thought "cunt". And that was it.

Well, there was a bit of a wrinkle in the testing. I asked for a PCR test, and they ran an NAA test, which... is really the same thing. But I was standing in the airport, never having checked the paperwork other than to confirm it said "negative" for all of us, and your one said "where does it say PCR?". And, it didn't. But she looked up something, and seemed to find out that it's roughly the same thing, and did some stampy stampy action and I was away.

I swear to god... it really is. It's *graaaaaaand*.

Literally the only time I was even a tiny bit annoyed was on the connector flight within the US, where a lad came down the isle wearing an American flag ALL Lives matter t-shirt. And I thought "cunt". And that was it.

Well, there was a bit of a wrinkle in the testing. I asked for a PCR test, and they ran an NAA test, which... is really the same thing. But I was standing in the airport, never having checked the paperwork other than to confirm it said "negative" for all of us, and your one said "where does it say PCR?". And, it didn't. But she looked up something, and seemed to find out that it's roughly the same thing, and did some stampy stampy action and I was away.
jaysus, thats a relief. I think at the moment there's fuck all they can do if you don't have the test. I'm not even sure there's any legal basis for issuing a fine the way they have been for people not undertaking 'essential' travel (the main issue being no one has defined what 'essential' travel actually is). But, glad you got someone at passport control who had the capacity to think for themselves and actually make the effort to look it up and realise that it was the same thing. The crowd in passport control are civil servants now whereas it used to be the gardai. I never had problems with the gardai, but the new crowd seem a lot more pleasant overall.

stampy stampy, I wonder what that was about. You're all travelling on Irish passports, right?

Welcome back the family flash. We are glad to have you! Ireland is fucking marvelous apart from the weather and the cunts...but the cunts are easily avoided. Just stay off the journal comments you be right

stampy stampy, I wonder what that was about. You're all travelling on Irish passports, right?
So, once United checked that we'd all done the covid restrictions, they had a set of stamps that they listed things with on their boarding passes.

This was done at the very start, before you even get on the plane, and I was transferring in Newark, so I suppose it's their way of saying they'd checked, and I don't need to be checked again? Not sure. Lots of red stamps, and OKs anyway.

So, once United checked that we'd all done the covid restrictions, they had a set of stamps that they listed things with on their boarding passes.

This was done at the very start, before you even get on the plane, and I was transferring in Newark, so I suppose it's their way of saying they'd checked, and I don't need to be checked again? Not sure. Lots of red stamps, and OKs anyway.
oh yea that makes more sense. Like, when I checked in they gave me a paper boarding pass and said to use that rather than the electronic one on my phone, cos it was signed saying my PCR had been checked. They know what they're at, them airplane lads.

Welcome back the family flash. We are glad to have you! Ireland is fucking marvelous apart from the weather and the cunts...but the cunts are easily avoided. Just stay off the journal comments you be right
I'd just about started to transition to a Full Yank, so it's bullet dodged. But yeah, feels good to be back.

What was funny was everyone, *every* one standing at the luggage pick up, was American, moving to Ireland. Permanently. They all had a big get together, where one group palled up with the next, and the kids etc.

Everyone was doing the same thing. Mad.

One women straight out said she needed to move out of the US "for mental health reasons". And left it at that.

I'd just about started to transition to a Full Yank, so it's bullet dodged. But yeah, feels good to be back.

What was funny was everyone, *every* one standing at the luggage pick up, was American, moving to Ireland. Permanently. They all had a big get together, where one group palled up with the next, and the kids etc.

Everyone was doing the same thing. Mad.

One women straight out said she needed to move out of the US "for mental health reasons". And left it at that.
“If Biden wins I’m emigrating!” types?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back