Ireland (2 Viewers)

I'm framing it as ensuring that that residents are secure and safe. The owners of these hotels are getting millions for housing people, they can at least use some of it to make sure that the alterations made to the premises are up to code.
Make sure to cream a bit off the top. Tis the Irish way. Get that bag!

This is it
We keep saying how we're a rich country
But we don't have the culture of one

We have a culture of skiving and grasping
Everyone wants theirs
Look at the health service - it's evolved to reflect our culture, overblown with management, aka lads with handy numbers that can't be shifted
Look at RTE, all most anyone looks for is a pay day and getting their allotted time off.
Look at the Gards - more interested in punishing whistelblowers internally than fighting actual crime on the street. Look at Denis OBrien. Look at SiteServ. All of it.
Public service is something that's genuflected to, but rarely lived.

Look at housing, as a culture a complete inability to get out of our own way and make something actually happen.
Look at immigration; too nice to stop anyone coming in, too incompetent to help them beyond that. Here's a tent. Cead mile failte.

And people are generally under some delusion that the Shinners can change this, that it's all some neocon neoliberal plot undermining us all, and a new Spring is coming.
That this is all a result of failed policy. It's really not. It's us.
The Shinners can't change who we are.
Changing culture is likely a heavier lift than we're capable of.

I just was in Roscrea 20 minutes ago. Net a nice lad from Zimbabwe there. We were talking about the rain, housing crisis and football.
Foreign folks are lovely.

We both agreed there is no long term planning in Ireland and everything is outsourced inc. housing.
This is it

Everyone wants theirs
Look at the health service - it's evolved to reflect our culture, overblown with management, aka lads with handy numbers that can't be shifted
Look at RTE, all most anyone looks for is a pay day and getting their allotted time off.
Look at the Gards - more interested in punishing whistelblowers internally than fighting actual crime on the street. Look at Denis OBrien. Look at SiteServ. All of it.

Look at housing, as a culture a complete inability to get out of our own way and make something actually happen.
Look at immigration; too nice to stop anyone coming in, too incompetent to help them beyond that. Here's a tent. Cead mile failte.

And people are generally under some delusion that the Shinners can change this, that it's all some neocon neoliberal plot undermining us all, and a new Spring is coming.

I just was in Roscrea 20 minutes ago. Net a nice lad from Zimbabwe there. We were talking about the rain, housing crisis and football.
Foreign folks are lovely.

We both agreed there is no long term planning in Ireland and everything is outsourced inc. housing.
160826113349-09-robert-mugabe.jpg

My usual gripe with Ireland is that people give out about corruption in the govt while simultaneously 100% wanting corruption in their life.

corruption = bad
mates rates = good

For the record this isn't corruption. They've made alterations to the facilities that require changes made to other things to keep what they've done compliant with health and safety and their insurance requirements. And they're paying market rate for it.

This is it

Everyone wants theirs

Stay positive ❤️

My usual gripe with Ireland is that people give out about corruption in the govt while simultaneously 100% wanting corruption in their life.

corruption = bad
mates rates = good
Beat my head against a wall trying to get someone to fix the busted drain out in the road that was flooding the back garden with sewage
Everyone pointed fingers at everyone else
Irish Water, DCC, everyone
Went to Eamonn McAnn's daughter there at the Irish Times - name escapes
Tried to get it done myself - DCC wouldn't fix it, but also wouldn't issue permits for anyone else to fix it
Eventually filed a FOIA request with Irish Water requesting all my correspondence with them, saying I needed it for a submission to Paschal ODonoghue
And also contacted Paschal
Email from Paschal two days later to say it would get sorted

Three lengthy calls from Irish Water saying tehy would get the work done, no problem, but could I withdraw the FOIA as it would be a burden to comply
I politely told them to fix the road and then ask me again
They fixed it and I still got the FOIA out of them anyways

The system is works very hard at not doing what it's supposed to do - putting hackles and barriers up and saying "there's nothing we can do" and you're forced to fucking back door what should be a simple thing

ANyways
Life is good
Just ate cake

Vote Paschal (he fixed the road)

ETA Kitty Holland! A wonderful person.

This is a strange one. Had he sought permission to pursue but had been denied?

My reading - and I'm sometimes wrong - is that this is in relation to the driving rather than the pursuit?
Like any time you drive east on a westbound lane, they're supposed to collar you?
And the pursuit doesn't clear you.
The lads that died doesn't seem central to the case against him.
Not sure which lives he endangered - the burglars or some notional member of the public.
I might have to read it again. I'm not a lawyer.

My reading - and I'm sometimes wrong - is that this is in relation to the driving rather than the pursuit?
Like any time you drive east on a westbound lane, they're supposed to collar you?
And the pursuit doesn't clear you.
The lads that died doesn't seem central to the case against him.
Not sure which lives he endangered - the burglars or some notional member of the public.
I might have to read it again. I'm not a lawyer.
That does seem to be what's behind the case. Personally I would think that any pursuit of the kind described would depend on how busy the road is/what time of day. In other words, in the middle of the night it's probably fair enough, but between 7am–11pm it's probably foolish.

That does seem to be what's behind the case. Personally I would think that any pursuit of the kind described would depend on how busy the road is/what time of day. In other words, in the middle of the night it's probably fair enough, but between 7am–11pm it's probably foolish.
They had it on DriveTime there.
Nothing much more there than what was in the IT story
Sounds like GSOC are the ones pushing the case forward.

It's real Dirty Harry/McBain stuff.
This Gard has the balls to go after bad guys who have wreaked havoc and torment all over the country.
These unrepentant criminals decide to drive down the wrong way and end up dying.
The loss to their families is significant, but society is arguably better off with them not wrecking homes and lives.
But the system is gonna hammer the Gard on procedures.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

They had it on DriveTime there.
Nothing much more there than what was in the IT story
Sounds like GSOC are the ones pushing the case forward.

It's real Dirty Harry/McBain stuff.
This Gard has the balls to go after bad guys who have wreaked havoc and torment all over the country.
These unrepentant criminals decide to drive down the wrong way and end up dying.
The loss to their families is significant, but society is arguably better off with them not wrecking homes and lives.
But the system is gonna hammer the Gard on procedures.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

He should be promoted, not prosecuted.

i once witnessed a car crash on griffith avenue - lad in a northern reg audi doing a phenomenal speed clipped another car, spun, and hit a tree going backwards; immediately got on the accelerator and raced off sounding like a bag of hammers in a washing machine. about 10 or 15s later a garda car came shooting past.

i was wondering about the protocols of that chase - it was around 4pm on a nice sunny afternoon, fair few kids on the way home from school at the time. i had wondered whether the gardai would give up the chase for safety's sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back