Electricity (1 Viewer)

They actually do know what your running. But suggest that they are charging more depending on the machine.... FFS

To a point - does anyone have the model number of their meter handy?

Call me crazy but i feel like reading the spec sheet of the thing would tell us what they can and can't do.

how would they know it's my washing machine drawing a current, rather than my lathe, say?
to answer my own question:
"Each appliance uses electricity in a unique manner, think of it like an appliance fingerprint. Using our algorithms we detect and extract these fingerprints from your electricity usage data and convert this into useful insights and recommendations for you."

how would they know it's my washing machine drawing a current, rather than my lathe, say?
From the website:
Appliance Itemisation is powered by disaggregation...a process that takes the energy usage data from your meter and uses software algorithm to identify the individual appliances that are actually using the energy.
How does it work? Magic?
Not really! Each appliance uses electricity in a unique manner - think of it like an appliance fingerprint. We detect and extract these "fingerprints" and convert the data into useful insights and recommendations.

Eg: This was our March.
Worth noting that the washing machine is on almost every night.
And I think Water Heating = central heating
1712312630902.png

it's basically educated guesswork so - they can see a draw of say 2kW for several minutes, followed by an hour of on and off of a couple of hundred watts, then a draw for a couple of minutes for say 1kW and assume it's a washing machine heating water, then running a normal cycle then a final fast spin; i would guess.

running several appliances at the same time would probably make it less accurate; and i guess non-standard stuff would confuse things. e.g my aforementioned lathe, which maxes out at 1.5kW and often is switched on and off up to several times a minute for half an hour or an hour.

Eg: This was our March.
Worth noting that the washing machine is on almost every night.
And I think Water Heating = central heating
View attachment 18403
wow. our heating and everything else was really high. And we try to only use the washing machine at weekends. What are we doing wrong here? Is "Always on" things like PC, monitors, TV on standby, chargers left plugged in?

bill.jpg

it's basically educated guesswork so - they can see a draw of say 2kW for several minutes, followed by an hour of on and off of a couple of hundred watts, then a draw for a couple of minutes for say 1kW and assume it's a washing machine heating water, then running a normal cycle then a final fast spin; i would guess.

running several appliances at the same time would probably make it less accurate; and i guess non-standard stuff would confuse things. e.g my aforementioned lathe, which maxes out at 1.5kW and often is switched on and off up to several times a minute for half an hour or an hour.
I’ve smart plugs on my dishwasher and washing machine that allow home assistant to do something similar - when HA notices there’s power being consumed on either one it sends an alert to our phones saying “dishwasher started” or “washing machine started”, then when it observes no power draw for ~15 minutes it send an alert to the kids’ phones saying “dishwasher is finished and needs to be emptied”. Which they ignore.

nearly €1 per day (if charged at standard rates) is probably around 2 units a day; or about 80W of 'always on' - a phone charger left plugged in but nothing connected should use less than 1W.

My old work PC had to be on 24/7 for reasons and it was drawing 165W.
The laptop that replaces it runs closer to 40w.
Have you anything like that which is a few years older?

The only things I can think of that are always on are my work laptop and monitors on standby, my PC on standby, and the TV on standby

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back