Electricity (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
Thought this was worth bring to people's attention.
Since the clocks changed for summer you've been paying too much for electricity.

How?
We're one one of these dumb plans from Electric Ireland. We have the Night Boost one. Units are one price during the day, cheaper from 11pm - 7am and cheaper still from 2am - 4am.
We have things set to charge from 2 - 4 am but noticed that we were using power from 1am - 3am. Hence being charged at a more expensive rate from 1 - 2am.
Turns out that the smart meters aren't that smart and in the Summer time all the times stay the same while the clocks change. So if you're doing this shit, your 2-4am cheapest time is now 3am - 5am.
My wife found some info buried on their website that dates back to 2014. I just tried to find it, couldn't.

Thought this was worth bring to people's attention.
Since the clocks changed for summer you've been paying too much for electricity.

How?
We're one one of these dumb plans from Electric Ireland. We have the Night Boost one. Units are one price during the day, cheaper from 11pm - 7am and cheaper still from 2am - 4am.
We have things set to charge from 2 - 4 am but noticed that we were using power from 1am - 3am. Hence being charged at a more expensive rate from 1 - 2am.
Turns out that the smart meters aren't that smart and in the Summer time all the times stay the same while the clocks change. So if you're doing this shit, your 2-4am cheapest time is now 3am - 5am.
My wife found some info buried on their website that dates back to 2014. I just tried to find it, couldn't.

I am probably taking the wrong lesson from this, but maybe I shoulda got married

The smart meters do account for daylight savings so it's possibly your timers that aren't changing or a specific issue with your meter which I doubt.

The smart meters do account for daylight savings so it's possibly your timers that aren't changing or a specific issue with your meter which I doubt.
Well I changed the things to charge from 3 - 5 am so we'll see if that worked in a few days when it shows up on the electric Ireland insights thing.

I know that they’re *meant* to do this but this is not the first time I’ve read that they don’t necessarily do that

1682263032962.png
Here's what we were seeing. Green bars are the night boost hours. I'll tel ya'll know what happens. The website is always about 3 days behind (if it works at all).

1682327885046.png
Changing the car to charge between 3 and 5am seems to have worked. See above.
So its charging between 3 and 5 but Electric Ireland record it as charging between 2 and 4am.

It could also be a problem with the website, I mean it's not like it actually works.

View attachment 16969
Changing the car to charge between 3 and 5am seems to have worked. See above.
So its charging between 3 and 5 but Electric Ireland record it as charging between 2 and 4am.

It could also be a problem with the website, I mean it's not like it actually works.

Just as a non owner / understander of electric cars - that's you topping up the car for about euro is it?

yea, that was a particularly lite charge that night. It didn't really need anything, we were just testing the time change thing.
It's usually about €3 per night.

yea navan. I guessed that towards the end of its life my Galaxy was costing about €15 to Dublin and back. It's really hard to calculate these things. Not sure what the Toyota costs. The diesel is faster though, and warmer.

i usually zero the odometer on the car every fill, and keep an eye on the cost at the pump. i usually get 750km between fills, which typically cost €70 or €80, hence the 10c per km estimate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back