Ireland (4 Viewers)

It's a reasonable warning. Compared to places like NYC or something, Dublin would be probably an order of magnitude more petty crime / assault.
Like there's areas in the US, parts of Baltimore, some spots in NJ, Gary Indiana, etc that are mad dangerous. But tourists are not flocking for Gary Indiana or whatever. Every cunt that comes to Ireland pretty much has a wander around Dublin. The expectation is it's going to be similar to NYC, SF, DC etc, and it's just not.

chap i know is a teacher in a school in a very deprived area. from what he was saying, crime is a major issue in the area - for example, the school can't do foreign exchange programs because of the possibility of garda raids on a house a foreign student might be housed in.
he semi-casually mentioned one day that he reckoned that up to 80% of the boys in the school don't have father figures in their lives.
what's the current thinking on that? how does not having a 'father figure' rank against a possibly overstretched single parent who doesn't have a partner to fall back on, in terms of whether it makes a difference to how a kid grows up? could it be pure correlation with no causation?

Last edited:
chap i know is a teacher in a school in a very deprived area. from what he was saying, crime is a major issue in the area - for example, the school can't do foreign exchange programs because of the possibility of garda raids on a house a foreign student might be housed in.
he semi-casually mentioned one day that he reckoned that up to 80% of the boys in the school don't have father figures in their lives.
what's the current thinking on that? how does not having a 'father figure' rank against a possibly overstretched single parent who doesn't have a partner to fall back on, in terms of whether it makes a difference to how a kid grows up? could it be pure correlation with no causation?

No idea what the current thinking is, but it defo makes a huge difference to a boy not having a father around.

The expectation is it's going to be similar to NYC, SF, DC etc, and it's just not.
The expectation is that it is going to be similar to Copenhagen, Paris and Berlin et al also.
We are an outlier in our own group of nations also, not just vs the US.

We're pretty unique that in the heart of our city centre/visitor area, you could be beaten close to death on the street as soon as the sun goes down, for just walking down the street.
Never mind the constant property theft and robberies.

Everyone knows it. And no one does anything about it.

i don't believe in this absence of Father Figure causing crime thing.

I think humans like to conform a lot. If we walk down a street, and you're wading through bags of chips, packs of smokes, empty bottles everywhere, we're more likely to drop litter. If you walk down a street and it's pristine you're less likely to drop rubbish there. If 50% of the kids in an estate are getting in robbed cars, any one kid being added to that estate is likely to get into a robbed car. It makes little difference if there's a father there or not.

However, if you're life's a mess, you grew up in a chaotic household, you've landed up pregnant, you're under all kinds of pressures involving money / jobs / mental health / who knows, there's maybe an increased chance that the father will vanish. And that a kid might end up getting involved with crime.

So, yeah, I'd say correlation, not causation. Men often consider themselves very central to everything, including families.

The expectation is that it is going to be similar to Copenhagen, Paris and Berlin et al also.
We are an outlier in our own group of nations also, not just vs the US.
The US embassy is not there to provide information to people in general, only North Americans, whose context is likely large US cities.

A Brazilian Instagram page highlighting the rampant cases of petty crime and gouging landlords in Dublin

and some funny stuff too

The US embassy is not there to provide information to people in general, only North Americans, whose context is likely large US cities.
Talking more about Ireland in general here more than what some embassy is saying
And as much about the Ukrainian lad that got destroyed on Abbey St as the American lad that got put in the ICU

We're an absolute shit show on crime in Dublin, the embassy warning is just another of the many many signs of that.

Not having a go, but this isn't some embassy being precious about things.
The Americans and other tourists here aren't innocents who don't know how the world works, they are just regular people that don't realise they're in one of the most dangerously violent city centres in the western world.

A Brazilian Instagram page highlighting the rampant cases of petty crime and gouging landlords in Dublin

and some funny stuff too

i don't believe in this absence of Father Figure causing crime thing.

I think humans like to conform a lot. If we walk down a street, and you're wading through bags of chips, packs of smokes, empty bottles everywhere, we're more likely to drop litter. If you walk down a street and it's pristine you're less likely to drop rubbish there. If 50% of the kids in an estate are getting in robbed cars, any one kid being added to that estate is likely to get into a robbed car. It makes little difference if there's a father there or not.

However, if you're life's a mess, you grew up in a chaotic household, you've landed up pregnant, you're under all kinds of pressures involving money / jobs / mental health / who knows, there's maybe an increased chance that the father will vanish. And that a kid might end up getting involved with crime.

So, yeah, I'd say correlation, not causation. Men often consider themselves very central to everything, including families.
i talked about it with some friends (who are parents - i am not) - and are all from comfortable middle class backgrounds - and their immediate reaction was simply around bandwidth. they've all had supportive partners raising kids and do *not* like the idea of raising kids without a supportive partner. whether that is relevant to the debate above, i do not know. i'm obviously not saying that kids of single parents are destined to a life of crime, obviously.

i'm obviously not saying that kids of single parents are destined to a life of crime, obviously.

Boys without a father figure will often seek one out

It's true ofr all of us that who we associate deeply affects who we become
Hang with druggies, you will likely end up doing drugs
Hang with pissheads, you'll be giving your wages to publicans til you die
If your friends are all cyclists, you will likely end up on two wheels
And so on

Fatherless boys in neighbourhoods with high crime rates are at a serious extra disadvantage

i talked about it with some friends (who are parents - i am not) - and are all from comfortable middle class backgrounds - and their immediate reaction was simply around bandwidth. they've all had supportive partners raising kids and do *not* like the idea of raising kids without a supportive partner. whether that is relevant to the debate above, i do not know. i'm obviously not saying that kids of single parents are destined to a life of crime, obviously.
oh right. It's easier if two people raise the kids.
I thought we were specifically doing the male role model / if a child doesn't have a man to look up to they're lost to crime thing.

Talking more about Ireland in general here more than what some embassy is saying
And as much about the Ukrainian lad that got destroyed on Abbey St as the American lad that got put in the ICU

We're an absolute shit show on crime in Dublin, the embassy warning is just another of the many many signs of that.

Not having a go, but this isn't some embassy being precious about things.
The Americans and other tourists here aren't innocents who don't know how the world works, they are just regular people that don't realise they're in one of the most dangerously violent city centres in the western world.

Ha!! I highly doubt that, as a whole.

I work with a lot of guys who are very sort of Hard Man but emotionally very fragile when push comes to shove. And they could be very hard to work with if I didn't puff out my chest and then later give them all words of encouragement.*
At first I thought it was a London ting, but I eventually noticed that they all lacked a father figure, or at least lacked a father figure that isn't a prick. Having a dad who's around but useless is worse.

As a psychologist friend once said (though she was talking about a different cohort) there's enough people with the same issues with such a similar backgrounds that it can't just be a coincidence.

Correlation definitely, but not definitively.
Though time, money, discrimination and general hopelessness play a part.
The ones who are parents themselves tend to be quite good dads.

*That's a bad description of how I operate, but I hope you get the gist.

oh right. It's easier if two people raise the kids.
I thought we were specifically doing the male role model / if a child doesn't have a man to look up to they're lost to crime thing.
sorry, should have been clearer - the question was 'would it be specifically lack of a father figure; rather than having a lone parent' which would make any (possible) difference; might be hard to separate the two as i bet the considerable majority of lone parents are women anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back