Ireland (8 Viewers)

I will say this, I didn't notice how bad Dublin was until I left, and went somewhere where unending shitty petty crime didn't occur. Old habits die hard and all that, but after a while you notice that there's not this constant stream of grimy antisocial criminal shit happening.
Where I live in Ireland now is great too.

It's just Dublin. And only Dublin. Also their new tourism slogan isn't great "Dublin, not as bad as Mogadishu*

*According to 1993 survey data ".

I grew up in a small town, so I rarely found Dublin that difficult. There were moments , but it wasn't constant like back home. South London is lovely by comparison. Even Croydon.

I don't go out all that much, but I've never been attacked in Dublin. My wife was punched in the shoulder a few years ago - by someone in a bunch of what she reckons was foreign students.

I’m back living in Dublin inner city and I have to agree that it’s getting rougher and rougher. I’m anxious for my daughter getting home from town in a way that I wouldn’t have been in Limerick.
If you want to make it a safer/better place, get in to youth work. Volunteer a day a month somewhere, help out in a local kids GAA group, anything.
There are no where near enough male youth workers and volunteers in this country and kids will always need positive male role models in their life. I can’t think of a single same sex couple I know that don’t make sure their kids have a person in their life of the opposite gender. Not everyone is lucky enough to have positive influences like that, and that’s where it’s needed most.

I’ve spent hundreds of hours with different youth groups over the years and don’t regret a single one of them. I’ve had 5 kids pass away now, through suicide, drugs and gang related murder and it kills me that we couldn’t help them more, but there’s so many that we did.
I ran in to one a little while ago that I honestly thought was dead or in prison but he was a youth worker himself now and thanked me for being there when he needed it. I’ll never be able to articulate how amazing that moment was for me.

Not sure if I posted this last week or not in this very thread but I remember a nice polish cop in Krakow the day after I was mugged saying that every tourist city attracts crime eventually.

High prices, rich tourists, opportunity for crimes.

So is ranelagh and that isn’t dangerous / considered rough

I’m missing your point here

Yes it is when the SCT is in full flow.
It's a very short walk from Ballybough to Store Street. Ranelagh is much further away, and posh.

Oh my gawd, loike, the Senior Cup Team? Focking Northsiders.

But that's a different debate I think.

Sorry to shit on Ranelagh but it was one of the roughest parts of Dublin for a long time thanks to the general and his cohorts.

Anyhow for random violence Dublin hasn't a patch on Letterkenny or Derry in my experience and I've lived in the inner city for over 20 years now.

"help out in a local kids GAA group"

Out of curiosity, hour many inner city clubs are there?
good question. Probably none right in the city.

O'Tooles are traditionally from around North Strand but have relocated more towards Ayrfield/Darndale, but they do still draw from the city centre. Likewise St.Vincents and Craobh Chiaran. Both city clubs historically, but have moved to locations a little further out.

Scoil UiConaill are based around O'Connell's Boys schools on the north circular road and draw from around that area. Their grounds are now on on the coast road past the yacht pub. But they still have lads from town.

There were a lot of phoenix park based clubs that drew from the city centre too. Most of these no longer exist. One that does, but has moved (amalgamated with another club), is Eoghan Ruadh, who are now combined with St.Oliver Plunketts in Cabra.

On the southside its probably only 4 clubs (that I can think of). Liffey Gaels start to draw from around St.James Hospital, but their draw comes from across Inchicore and Ballyfermot too. On the other end of town you have Clann na Gael who are based in Ringsend, but who draw from that end of town too. The other 2 are associated with each other - Templeogue/Synge St (specifically the Synge St part), and Kevins (hurling only), who draw from Dolphins Barn and the liberties.

A good few I suppose.

This is dublin only btw. I'd have a rough idea about Limerick, Cork, Galway, Kilkenny and Waterford too. All have a good amount of city clubs.

Sports is not something I generally get worked up about, but I would have gladly seen government funds being spent on keeping clubs where they were, instead of being moved a significant distance away by developers buying up high value land.

I always hated the irony of sports clubs being in places you wouldn't be able to walk to safely.

Sports is not something I generally get worked up about, but I would have gladly seen government funds being spent on keeping clubs where they were, instead of being moved a significant distance away by developers buying up high value land.

I always hated the irony of sports clubs being in places you wouldn't be able to walk to safely.
that was the case for some of these alright. Templeogue/Synge st are currently battling to save their pitches from developers.

but for some of the others, the clubs were outgrowing their facilities and they needed to move somewhere with more space. In most cases there wasn't any resistance to it.

I end up in the city centre at loads of random hours thanks to work. Can’t say I notice much in the way of any crime. I did see a lad off Pearse St being handcuffed by the Gardai last week. It’s not a patch on what it was 20-25 years ago in terms of that feeling of lingering malevolence. Tallaght is the only place where it really feels intense after dark, over the past year I’ve seen a few serious incidents happen.

Maybe I’m just extra tough though because I didn’t have a dad growing up?

I'm sure there are violent crime rates one could look up if anyone was actually arsed comparing Dublin to other cities in an evidence-based manner

I left Dublin in 2005, and at that time it definitely felt WAY safer at night than the city I lived in before (Coventry in the UK). Can't really comment on how it is atm, I'd have the odd night out there but probably would never be in the city after 2am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back