Ireland (2 Viewers)

Ha!! I highly doubt that, as a whole.
Every city has its shitty dangerous neighbourhoods

but in Europe, US and Aus/NZ we are at the top of city centres where you can get beaten beyond recognition for just walking around.

All of us have been everywhere in Europe. It doesn't happen in city centres there. Not in Paris, Belin, Milan, Rome, Zurich, Madrid, Barcelona, Prague, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Brussels, London.
US city centres also are safe as fuck for the most part.
I've never been to Aus, so it might be hellish there, but I don't hear that from people I know there.
We have gangs roaming O'Connell St and the boardwalk with impunity, and we complain about it when something happens and then forget all about it.

Look at all those Deliveroo riders protesting last week. How many of those protests happening on the mainland?
We're a dangerous mess.

sorry, should have been clearer - the question was 'would it be specifically lack of a father figure; rather than having a lone parent' which would make any (possible) difference; the issue is i bet the considerable majority of lone parents are women anyway.
yeah, sorry. For some reason there's this obnoxious Jordan Peterson type theme on youtube, insisting the men are horribly subjugated yet vitally important for everything. I'm probably fixating on the male part, unconsciously being critical of that proaganda.

He could simply reject that rejection, and demand that the judge in question leave his post. And post up a YouTube video apologizing. The King shouldn't have to put up with lippy serfs, he's been extraordinarily patient as it is.

you've included barcelona - two friends were mugged there on separate occasions.
I know people that have had shit stolen there.
And people I know that live there say the pickpocketing is endemic.
It sucks balls when it happens.
Was there violence inflicted on your friends?

Every city has its shitty dangerous neighbourhoods

but in Europe, US and Aus/NZ we are at the top of city centres where you can get beaten beyond recognition for just walking around.

All of us have been everywhere in Europe. It doesn't happen in city centres there. Not in Paris, Belin, Milan, Rome, Zurich, Madrid, Barcelona, Prague, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Brussels, London.
US city centres also are safe as fuck for the most part.
I've never been to Aus, so it might be hellish there, but I don't hear that from people I know there.
We have gangs roaming O'Connell St and the boardwalk with impunity, and we complain about it when something happens and then forget all about it.

Look at all those Deliveroo riders protesting last week. How many of those protests happening on the mainland?
We're a dangerous mess.

Are you joking?
Maybe you at making a comparison based on the size or something but you are out of your mind if you think Dublin is up there

Detroit
Baltimore
West palm beach
Amsterdam
Glasgow
Greater manchester
Marseilles
east east London or super south / Croydon
Barcelona
Watsw
Kyiv

Etc

Are you joking?
Maybe you at making a comparison based on the size or something but you are out of your mind if you think Dublin is up there

Detroit
Baltimore
West palm beach
Amsterdam
Glasgow
Greater manchester
Marseilles
Barcelona
Watsw
Kyiv

Etc

City Centres
Said it like 5 times
Everywhere has its Clondalkin/Neilstown/Darndale

I've been all over the city centres of at least half of those - they're not violent places for visitors.

Is the contention that what happens in Dublin is basically typical of any city?
Or just that we belong on the list of the shittiest cities that can be thrown together on a list?

Not just visitors.
I had a neighbour beaten to all heck next St Stephen's Green at 11pm at night a good few summers ago.
He doesn't remember it, just what his girlfriend told him about it. He was a terrific mason. Can't work anymore because of brain damage. Needless to say the Gards got no one for it. Impunity.

Our city centre, just after dark. I have asked people I know from Paris and Berlin and Rome and Barcelona about this. They are horrified that it happens and are not aware of similar in tehir city centres.

Is this a “doesn’t happen” thing or a “doesn’t make the news” thing.
Like I ask my friends - cos I am generally curious - "does this happen in your city?"
And the answer is usually a version of 'Of course not"

With the caveat that there is violence in neighbourhoods with crime and poverty and drugs.

But the random element, is what seems to isolate us - from what I can tell.
That some of these gangs just find it fun to beat people senseless for zero reason.

Maybe Dublin is the same as everyone else and I'm being paranoid. But it definitely doesn't feel that way at night to me.

Are you joking?

Detroit
Baltimore
West palm beach
Amsterdam
Glasgow
Greater manchester
Marseilles
Barcelona
Watsw
Kyiv

Etc
Very specific parts of Baltimore are bad, and it's clear when you walk into them, and you realise, and you can turn around and leave if you like. But Baltimore harbour, all around where most people and tourist types go, is fine. Even the industrial areas of Baltimore are fine. I was hanging around "shitty" areas of Baltimore for paperwork type nonsense for hours. They're nothing at all like Dublin in terms of safety. Palm Beach seemed grand, don't know why that's singled out. I don't know Detroit but lads from work live there and certainly areas are grand.

But not everyone that travels to the US lands up in Baltimore example. That was what I was trying to say earlier. Everyone arrives into Dublin, and it's genuinely pretty bad all over. It's not like (for example) Baltimore, where it's completely clear you're now walking into bandit country. And because of this, the US Embassy rightly issued warnings.

Very specific parts of Baltimore are bad, and it's clear when you walk into them, and you realise, and you can turn around and leave if you like. But Baltimore harbour, all around where most people and tourist types go, is fine. Even the industrial areas of Baltimore are fine. I was hanging around "shitty" areas of Baltimore for paperwork type nonsense for hours. They're nothing at all like Dublin in terms of safety. Palm Beach seemed grand, don't know why that's singled out. I don't know Detroit but lads from work live there and certainly areas are grand.

But not everyone that travels to the US lands up in Baltimore example. That was what I was trying to say earlier. Everyone arrives into Dublin, and it's genuinely pretty bad all over. It's not like (for example) Baltimore, where it's completely clear you're now walking into bandit country. And because of this, the US Embassy rightly issued warnings.

Dublin definitely is not bad all over. At all.

The only reason I could see for such an opinion is that the rougher parts of he city simply haven't been priced out of their own community (yet) and these communities happen to be very close to the main thoroughfare of a small city

And it's still nowhere nearly as dangerous as the likes of south London.

The dangerous parts of other cities would dwarf the size of our city centre

Well yeah, same as Dublin and everywhere else, but as a whole, Dublin is grand.

I'm from there and I still think it's a Kip but it is nothing on so many other places. Just google 'machete attack London' for a hape of terrifying stories

But inner city Dublin is small. You typed that as I typing and I agree.

Mentioning Croydon, I dunno, it'd be the second city if transposed it onto Ireland.

South London isn't dangerous unless you're a young black male. People say that about South London a lot, but I don't see it. It's nothing compared to being a young male in Ireland, in terms of getting a beating for no reason at all.

But inner city Dublin is small. You typed that as I typing and I agree.

Mentioning Croydon, I dunno, it'd be the second city if transposed it onto Ireland.

South London isn't dangerous unless you're a young black male. People say that about South London a lot, but I don't see it. It's nothing compared to being a young male in Ireland, in terms of getting a beating for no reason at all.

Having lived there for 6months over 10 years ago, parts of south London are/were sketchy as fuck

Well yeah, same as Dublin and everywhere else, but as a whole, Dublin is grand.

I'm from there and I still think it's a Kip but it is nothing on so many other places
Yeah, I don't agree.

I mean, I'm from Dublin too. If I left a bike locked outside I'd borderline expect it to get robbed, or stripped. If I was walking from anywhere, to anywhere in the city at night I'd expect to see criminal stuff going on and not be surprised if lads started saying things. I'd just not want to be wandering around Dublin at night, full stop, I'd want to be on a bike or a motorbike, and I'd be on a mission.

That's not what Baltimore is like, for example. I'd treat all of dublin at night like some of the scary places in Baltimore. I don't mind the place, I can't afford to live there but I also don't really love it. But in general no, it's not like everywhere else.

Having lived there for 6months over 10 years ago, parts of south London are/were sketchy as fuck

Maybe I just look like a proper dirty skanger and intimidate dem.

It's still nothing compared to when the ex was living in East Wall and Clonliffe Road and we walked through Summerhill regularly.

She had lived in South London, she had seen many things there, but she couldn't get her head around the idea that random violence is a thing in Dublin moreso than S London. Her naiveté was stunning to me. Me and my big bogger head was scared shitless every day.

Yeah, I don't agree.

I mean, I'm from Dublin too. If I left a bike locked outside I'd borderline expect it to get robbed, or stripped. If I was walking from anywhere, to anywhere in the city at night I'd expect to see criminal stuff going on and not be surprised if lads started saying things. I'd just not want to be wandering around Dublin at night, full stop, I'd want to be on a bike or a motorbike, and I'd be on a mission.

That's not what Baltimore is like, for example. I'd treat all of dublin at night like some of the scary places in Baltimore. I don't mind the place, I can't afford to live there but I also don't really love it. But in general no, it's not like everywhere else.

It sounds like you're talking bout one or two bad streets/areas because that is the opposite of my experiences from living in Dublin City

Maybe I just look like a proper dirty skanger and intimidate dem.

It's still nothing compared to when the ex was living in East Wall and Clonliffe Road and we walked through Summerhill regularly.

She had lived in South London, she had seen many things there, but she couldn't get her head around the idea that random violence is a thing in Dublin moreso than S London. Her naiveté was stunning to me. Me and my big bogger head was scared shitless every day.

Yeah you mention a few rough areas.
It's not the entire city

Dublin has rough as arses areas that have gotten worse since I lived there but as an entire city, it's grand. Could and should be a lot better but it is a far cry from the violent hellhole it's being portrayed as here

Edit: I'm going to get leathered next time I'm in Dublin arent I, just for the universe to hint I should STFU

Dublin has rough as arses areas that have gotten worse since I lived there but as an entire city, it's grand. Could and should be a lot better but it is a far cry from the violent hellhole it's being portrayed as here

Edit: I'm going to get leathered next time I'm in Dublin arent I, just for the universe to hint I should STFU
I will say this, I didn't notice how bad Dublin was until I left, and went somewhere where unending shitty petty crime didn't occur. Old habits die hard and all that, but after a while you notice that there's not this constant stream of grimy antisocial criminal shit happening.
Where I live in Ireland now is great too.

It's just Dublin. And only Dublin. Also their new tourism slogan isn't great "Dublin, not as bad as Mogadishu*

*According to 1993 survey data ".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back