Ireland (3 Viewers)

this is just a bit weird.

I've done exactly no research into any of those watchdog people, but I'd be curious about who they are, who's on the board, and where those people derive money from.

It's a classic US tactic to set up Think Tanks and various other fronts to shill for multinationals like Facebook.

I've done exactly no research into any of those watchdog people, but I'd be curious about who they are, who's on the board, and where those people derive money from.

It's a classic US tactic to set up Think Tanks and various other fronts to shill for multinationals like Facebook.
I presume it's a government organisation, staffed by civil servants, no? The point of it from a national perspective is to basically say to the multinationals "If it was up to me chief ... but I don't make the rules" so they'll continue to think we're a great bunch of lads, and then leave the actual enforcement up to the Big Bad EU.

That’s the official government data protection commissioner right there.

That’s the official government data protection commissioner right there.
Oh yeah?

In fairness the Irish Gov may very well be a shill for multinationals in general, but I'd still be surprised if there wasn't a more direct line of money involved here, someone in an advisory role etc.

We don't want Apple or FB's fine money

Just give us the jobs and they can do what they want

Obsequiousness as a national economic strategy. We are some shower.

If we played by the rules we'd have to have a lifestyle that would reflect the actual resources on the island, which would hasten us to rally for a two tier Euro like is occasionally mooted because we aren't in the bulk landmass of europe with all the industry odd sizes of pints. EU does not really want that so wide berth is given

If we played by the rules we'd have to have a lifestyle that would reflect the actual resources on the island, which would hasten us to rally for a two tier Euro like is occasionally mooted because we aren't in the bulk landmass of europe with all the industry odd sizes of pints. EU does not really want that so wide berth is given
We've arguably leveraged our greatest natural resources, colonial legacy (the English language) and emigration (Chuck Feeney kick-starting the education sector in the 80s/90s) into this fawning, servile tech outpost that has made us a "rich country"

We've arguably leveraged our greatest natural resources, colonial legacy (the English language) and emigration (Chuck Feeney kick-starting the education sector in the 80s/90s) into this fawning, servile tech outpost that has made us a "rich country"

I don't disagree other than colonial legacy not being a natural resource though there is some merit in it..

It's a two tier economy some might argue between domestic and foreign finance which also increased due to Brexit I forget the actual figure of billions that came here in that case certainly in the hundreds. I suppose it is why Ireland will be again the fastest growing economy in the EU in fact I think it was ours alone which prevented the EU as a whole from going into recession recently. On the upside the multibillion tech giants have given us AI garbage as a sort of era defining cultural pinnacle.

Well at least the EU are keeping an eye on us the Amazon EU HQ is in Luxemburg so we are not the only ones at it I geuss

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back