Ireland - Deutschland (1 Viewer)

Cunningham? He is playing regularly, but he's not a CB. Pearce, on the other hand, is, and he plays more than Clark. You're advocating for Clarke because other 'Irish fans' are? Right.

no i am calling for his inclusion because he is a regulare pl centre back, and pearce hasn;t played as many games as clark since the oman game. plus clark can cover left back and central midfield. however like kevin foley this could count against him regarding the way trapp thinks.

i know cunningham aint a centre back, its just when duffy was named as a possibility of centre back cover as he plays there for the u21s and occaisionally the toffees then cunningham may be a better option then ward in the future, depending on wilson holding onto that spot.

Clark's kind of suffered from being a jack of all trades early in his career, shuffled around from left back to center back to midfield.. I think he'll be an important player for us in a couple of years but he has a tough period ahead of learning the position and ironing the mistakes out of his game. When the alternatives are O'Dea and McShane it's difficult to make the case for him not at least being in the squad though (although in fairness O'Dea has played above his general level for Ireland).

With McClean out, are we looking at Simon Cox being put on the wing again? I'd go with Coleman on the right with McGeady on the left, but if it had to be an extra striker out wide I'd rather Long was put there and Walters up front, Long at least has some pace and can put in a good cross.

agree that with o'dea having played more for ireland that trapp will probably go for him to partner o'shea but mcshane and kelly are in no way better centre backs then clark.

here's hoping that long will get the nod on the left as im sure keane will play up front and mcgeady on the right. heaven forbid trapp wpuld start coleman on the right.

So, what do we reckon? A gutsy nil-nil? An unbelievable one nil to us? 7-0 to them?

Part of me wants a twatting, so there's nowhere to hide. Part of me wants to win. A big part of me doesn't want us stinking up the world cup and ruining it for me like we did in 2012. it's TEARING ME APART.

I think if we take a hiding it won't make much difference. We're an awful side with poor players, even if we picked the "right" different players and the "right" different formation (all signs by the way are that we're going with 3 midfielders) we're the sort of side that the germans routinely wallop in qualifying, any positive result we may get out of this will be more down to them being uncharacteristically inefficient.

So Keane is definitely out.
That's a good thing right?

Following a kick received in training from Paul McShane, which could be his most important contribution in an Ireland shirt (harsh I know but kind of true). If Shane Long plays up front on his own then it will definitely be a good thing. The team that will line out against Germany, according to reports coming from the Ireland training camp, could look something like this:

Westwood
Coleman-O'Shea-O'Dea-Ward
Cox-McCarthy-Fahey-Andrews-McGeady
Long

Apart from Cox being played on the wing and Ward over Wilson that's probably the best team that could be put out under the circumstances. Germany are undoubtedly a team with an abundance of talent, but there appears to be a lot of internal tension in their squad according to Raphael Honigstein's article in the Irish Times yesterday. If Long starts up front I'll a bit more confident that Ireland can get something out of the game.

That thing about it being a tribute to the Irish as we were the first side to play them post war is wrong anyway it was the Swiss.

I know it.

I was on a football board for years that used it as a joke.

RTE even mentioned it the other night. Presented it as fact, then debunked it.

Team announced:

Westwood

Coleman / O'Shea / O'Dea / Ward

Cox / Fahey / Andrews / McCarthy / McGeady

Walters

Plus points: 5 man midfield at last, Keane not lone striker (though that's by accident rather than design), Coleman gets a start

Minus points: Cox on the wing again.. Ward.. Long on the bench yet again (all well and good having him fresh to run at their defence for the last half an hour, but not if we're already 3-0 down by then)

Team announced:

Westwood

Coleman / O'Shea / O'Dea / Ward

Cox / Fahey / Andrews / McCarthy / McGeady

Walters

Plus points: 5 man midfield at last, Keane not lone striker (though that's by accident rather than design), Coleman gets a start

Minus points: Cox on the wing again.. Ward.. Long on the bench yet again (all well and good having him fresh to run at their defence for the last half an hour, but not if we're already 3-0 down by then)

"We decide on pitch what happens," according to Trap. Might be 442.

Trap, when he was interviewed about the idea of playing a lone striker during qualifying said that it wasn't good for Ireland as you need one of the wide players to also be a goal scorer. Cox would fulfill that requirement anyway, as would McClean too I suppose.

On the subject of McClean, he hasn't been great in recent weeks. A case of poor form/low confidence/him being figured out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back