Ireland - Deutschland (2 Viewers)

I remember this one being one of the best for the craic. Some atmosphere. Half the south terrace were lunatics

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Doyle is looking like he might be out, while Schwiensteiger's in. The omen's are all good folks!

What's the obsession with Clarke? Have you seen him play? I've watched Villa a few times this season and what I've seen of him was not good. Pearce (who by the way seems to have been dropped by Reading) and even Duffy would seem to have more in their armoury. I'm not ruling Clarke out, but I think a lot of fans seems to think he's great just because he's deputising for Dunne and should therefore stroll into the Irish team, without actually watching him play.

What's the obsession with Clarke? Have you seen him play? I've watched Villa a few times this season and what I've seen of him was not good. Pearce (who by the way seems to have been dropped by Reading) and even Duffy would seem to have more in their armoury. I'm not ruling Clarke out, but I think a lot of fans seems to think he's great just because he's deputising for Dunne and should therefore stroll into the Irish team, without actually watching him play.

What I've seen of Clarke has been pretty woeful. Victor Anichebe ran him ragged in a match I watched last season.

Judging by Johnny Hs display on saturday, Duffy could be taking a big step up the pecking order at Everton. Which is a very good thing for Ireland.

Exactly. I think Duffy has more the look of a real prospect for Ireland, going as well by the high praise of his performances for the U-21s.

Clarke was good for about 3 months 2 seasons ago and has not been great since. He's a young lad playing in one of the most difficult positions to be a young player, but he was captain of Eng u-19's* so he's probably not totally devoid of talent and perhaps there's also the feeling that we robbed one of their prospects.

* As ex Leinster and Ulster rugby coach said once to a former starting u-21 scrum half who assumed that he'd be gettig a contract, "there's one of you every year."

Clarke was good for about 3 months 2 seasons ago and has not been great since. He's a young lad playing in one of the most difficult positions to be a young player, but he was captain of Eng u-19's* so he's probably not totally devoid of talent and perhaps there's also the feeling that we robbed one of their prospects.

* As ex Leinster and Ulster rugby coach said once to a former starting u-21 scrum half who assumed that he'd be gettig a contract, "there's one of you every year."

I'm aware of his England underage accolades alright (I think he captained U20s as well), but its worth remembering that Pearce is the same age and has a lot more experience playing first team football. Duffy is three years younger and has no fear of stepping up. Clarke strikes me a someone who does have fear.

well qith him being the only pl centre back we have currently playing regularly there is a point in him been looked to be called up by irish fans. im sure duffy and cunningham will make the senior grade but not just yet. i'd rather clark over odea, mcshane and kelly at centre back.

pity mcclean is deffo out of both games.

Cunningham? He is playing regularly, but he's not a CB. Pearce, on the other hand, is, and he plays more than Clark. You're advocating for Clarke because other 'Irish fans' are? Right.

Clark's kind of suffered from being a jack of all trades early in his career, shuffled around from left back to center back to midfield.. I think he'll be an important player for us in a couple of years but he has a tough period ahead of learning the position and ironing the mistakes out of his game. When the alternatives are O'Dea and McShane it's difficult to make the case for him not at least being in the squad though (although in fairness O'Dea has played above his general level for Ireland).

With McClean out, are we looking at Simon Cox being put on the wing again? I'd go with Coleman on the right with McGeady on the left, but if it had to be an extra striker out wide I'd rather Long was put there and Walters up front, Long at least has some pace and can put in a good cross.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back