Has Dublin lost its edge? (1 Viewer)

I grew up on a '50s estate, in Raheny. When my mam was a kid the Bull Island causeway wasn't built yet; her and my aunts and uncle had to cross over the mudflats. The gutted remains of the Guinness Mansion hadn't been levelled yet, either. Lots of change to go even before you get to the '70s expansion!

Local ladies in Swords still scoff at the new estate built in 1949. They also lament the oodles and oodles of prime farm land given over to housing airport workers and later migrants.

They also lament the oodles and oodles of prime farm land given over to housing airport workers and later migrants.

Friend of my late aunt's is a lady farmer in her 60's now I'd say, as country as country can be. Whenever she sees a new house being built she refers to it as a waste of a good field.

That might be the next one if there is a next one. I'd love to do a book on Dublin beyond the M50. My book covers up to about 1930 so most of those suburbs had not yet turned to sprawl and suburban ennui, hard drugs.
I started a photography project about the M50 a few years ago I'd love to finish it. So keep me informed.

But isn't that the way of the world? People move, things change.

The Irish and Polish and Vietnamese have transformed where I live. No one seems to complain very much. Well, they probably did at the time.

Hasn't the Cobblestone always been a tourist place?

Haven't people from all over Dublin come to Walsh's because it's a 'proper Dublin pub'? (well before they put that fancy new jacks in)

When I was a student in Bolton St we went up to the 'Batter all the time.

I don't see what's wrong with it.
I think there's a pretty significant difference between people moving and people being forced out.

That might be the next one if there is a next one. I'd love to do a book on Dublin beyond the M50. My book covers up to about 1930 so most of those suburbs had not yet turned to sprawl and suburban ennui, hard drugs.

There's a book I read a review of a while ago, just been published, that seems to cover this kind of ground. Suburbs of Dublin, industrial wastelands - psychogeography kind of deal. Trying to remember what it's called but it sounded really good.

My psychogeography of this city is so limited. As a Northsider, like, when we went into town to the shops, it was Henry Street, we rarely if ever crossed the river - that was a treat! Like a meal at Captain Americas or something, wow! I would've been properly lost in the labyrinth of streets west of Grafton St, for instance.

Later my mental map of the city improved; going to college on the Southside helped, and much of the core became familiar. But I still had significant blackspots. The north inner city? I couldn't tell you the difference between Mountjoy Square, Street or Prison. The quays beyond the Four Courts were a mystery. Suburbs beyond the bounds of Dublin 5 might as well have been another country.

I live in west Dublin now, and that's unlocked another huge section of my mental map, like dissipating the fog of war in Civ or something. But I still have no conception of many of this city's suburbs. I could figure out in my head vaguely how to get to the SCR, but where does it go through? Dolphin's Barn? Kimmage? Those are just names to me.

This summer was the first time I ever went to the Phoenix Park proper, like around the park; the Zoo doesn't count, ditto Chesterfield Ave. I cycled past the Magazine Fort for the first time and felt like an alien in my own home town.

Yeah, that rings true for me as well. Dublin city to me as a kid was being dragged around Arnotts and Boyers on the run up to Christmas. Cold outside, far far too warm inside.

The only upside was the chance of going to the Lego exhibition.

but sure the suburbs have their own stories...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back