Has Dublin lost its edge? (1 Viewer)

Manky grub gave us our edge. Now its gone. It's all related. I grew up with an abattoir at the end of my road, and Guinness's at the other end. That's edge, man. Booze and death. Edge. Stick that in your fucking start up, you cunts.

Manky grub gave us our edge. Now its gone. It's all related. I grew up with an abattoir at the end of my road, and Guinness's at the other end. That's edge, man. Booze and death. Edge. Stick that in your fucking start up, you cunts.

DREAMED A DREAM, BY THE OLD CANAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know this is what old people do, right?

Moan about how all the new things that young people like to do are shit?
Unless they're Will Self. He complains about the old people who don't complain about the young people. You can't win!

You know this is what old people do, right?

Moan about how all the new things that young people like to do are shit?
I AM OLD. WE'RE OLD. WE HAVE THREADS GIVING OUT ABOUT "HIPSTERS" THAT ARE OLDER THAN ANY TREND HAS EVER BEEN. DUBLIN LOST IT'S EDGE COS WE'RE ALL CUNTS.

Or we emigrated. Choose our poison.

Hey @Scientician 0.8, has Dublin lost its edge? Give us an opinion.

No, Dublin is better crack now than it ever was. The only thing that's shitter now (in this context) than in the past is that offies are more restricted. Used to love leaving Fibber's at 2am with a bag of cans or a bottle. There are more and better gigs, stuff going on every night of the week, lots of community driven events like the Street Stories malarky this past weekend in Stoney/Smithfield or Phizzfest up in Phibsboro. BYOB gigs were a dangerous novelty not so long ago now it has almost become SOP for the type of gigs I go to. I think increased property values will put pressure on independent art studios and venues but that has always been a problem.

No, Dublin is better crack now than it ever was. The only thing that's shitter now (in this context) than in the past is that offies are more restricted. Used to love leaving Fibber's at 2am with a bag of cans or a bottle. There are more and better gigs, stuff going on every night of the week, lots of community driven events like the Street Stories malarky this past weekend in Stoney/Smithfield or Phizzfest up in Phibsboro. BYOB gigs were a dangerous novelty not so long ago now it has almost become SOP for the type of gigs I go to. I think increased property values will put pressure on independent art studios and venues but that has always been a problem.

When Fibbers sold cans !!!! Christ how am I still alive ?

My psychogeography of this city is so limited. As a Northsider, like, when we went into town to the shops, it was Henry Street, we rarely if ever crossed the river - that was a treat! Like a meal at Captain Americas or something, wow! I would've been properly lost in the labyrinth of streets west of Grafton St, for instance.

Later my mental map of the city improved; going to college on the Southside helped, and much of the core became familiar. But I still had significant blackspots. The north inner city? I couldn't tell you the difference between Mountjoy Square, Street or Prison. The quays beyond the Four Courts were a mystery. Suburbs beyond the bounds of Dublin 5 might as well have been another country.

I live in west Dublin now, and that's unlocked another huge section of my mental map, like dissipating the fog of war in Civ or something. But I still have no conception of many of this city's suburbs. I could figure out in my head vaguely how to get to the SCR, but where does it go through? Dolphin's Barn? Kimmage? Those are just names to me.

This summer was the first time I ever went to the Phoenix Park proper, like around the park; the Zoo doesn't count, ditto Chesterfield Ave. I cycled past the Magazine Fort for the first time and felt like an alien in my own home town.

Great post.

I grew up in Tallaght but spent most of my weekends in either Crumlin or Pearse House. So I knew those areas really well. The Quays when the ships were still there was my favourite place on earth when i was a kid. My auld fella was a working upholsterer at the time so we'd go from Pearse street over to Capel street to by materials (staples, foam etc.) So I pretty much knew most of the city centre really well as a kid. And that area pretty much was the city centre as far as I can tell. There was fuck all beyond Capel street, going west and there was just warehouses beyond Bus Aras going east down to the point.

My cousins lived in Finglas so I knew that area pretty well but there was basically a gap between town and there. I've filled it all in now because I worked as a furniture delivery lad on and off since I was 14.

I only discovered the south side of the city beyond Stephens Green when I moved to Ranelagh in my early twenties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back