Has Dublin lost its edge? (1 Viewer)

Which one had the Laserdrome? I only went once, for my 10th birthday I think. If I recall correctly it had several floors which made it about a billion times better than Q-Zar. It was Doom to Q-Zar's Wolfenstein.

It's a big over-designed plaza with a fancy supermarket selling fancy wares, an arthouse cinema, various 'spaces' for creativity

It's quite nice really; benches in the shape of abstract farm animals, and it's spectacular when they light the Empire of Mongo style lanterns. But completely terraforming a place is a bit extreme. How many people who hail from Smithfield have a season ticket for the Lighthouse cinema I wonder. Do they buy their shopping in that supermarket?. I don't mean to be all "we were poor but we were happy" but there's a bang of smug celtic tiger, design award winning , small house in Oxmantown Road owning elitism off it.

The Fresh supermarket you're talking about looks fancy but it's no more expensive than a Centra from what I can tell. (Actually their freshly made sandwiches are very good value for what you get.)

Which one had the Laserdrome? I only went once, for my 10th birthday I think. If I recall correctly it had several floors which made it about a billion times better than Q-Zar. It was Doom to Q-Zar's Wolfenstein.

The North Strand Bowl? I think that was a Laserdrome with multiple levels. Only went there once, would've been around '91 or '92.

Also, who else remembers the Grand Cinema in Fairview? My mam took me to see The Jungle Book there once some time in the '80s, can't remember when, and I hated it: kids screaming the whole time, the floor all sticky from spilled Fanta.

I went back years later a few times, back in the mid '00s, when it was a screening room for Buena Vista. They kept the vintage, rock hard seats.

The North Strand Bowl? I think that was a Laserdrome with multiple levels. Only went there once, would've been around '91 or '92.

I used to work the bingo there.

Dragged in from the car park one night with a gun at my head and told my brains would be all over the wall.

Ring a ring a rosey.....

Also, who else remembers the Grand Cinema in Fairview? My mam took me to see The Jungle Book there once some time in the '80s, can't remember when, and I hated it: kids screaming the whole time, the floor all sticky from spilled Fanta.

I went back years later a few times, back in the mid '00s, when it was a screening room for Buena Vista. They kept the vintage, rock hard seats.

I saw Star Wars there. And Jaws II. And loads more.

The pit at the front scared the knickers out of me.

It's gone now, yeah?

I saw Star Wars there. And Jaws II. And loads more.

The pit at the front scared the knickers out of me.

It's gone now, yeah?

Buena Vista moved out a few years ago (no distributor has their own screening room in town now); the sign was still up over the door for ages though. No idea if they've torn it down at the back.

By the way, the only things I've learned from attempting to write a book is I hate writing books and not so long ago life was irredeemably awful for swathes of Dublin's populace.
When you get to the part in your book about the dublin equivalents of les Banlieue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Like Tallaght, Clondalkin, Ballymun, giz a shout I'd love to read it/submit to it.

I used to work the bingo there.

Dragged in from the car park one night with a gun at my head and told my brains would be all over the wall.

Ring a ring a rosey.....
uh.... any reason?

I believe I went once, maybe twice, when very young. Think I might have seen Snow White there. We weren't a cinema going family really but it was replaced by UCI Tallaght as our go-to cinema.

Last edited:
When you get to the part in your book about the dublin equivalents of les Banlieue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Like Tallaght, Clondalkin, Ballymun, giz a shout I'd love to read it/submit to it.

That might be the next one if there is a next one. I'd love to do a book on Dublin beyond the M50. My book covers up to about 1930 so most of those suburbs had not yet turned to sprawl and suburban ennui, hard drugs.

That might be the next one if there is a next one. I'd love to do a book on Dublin beyond the M50. My book covers up to about 1930 so most of those suburbs had not yet turned to sprawl and suburban ennui, hard drugs.

I grew up on a '50s estate, in Raheny. When my mam was a kid the Bull Island causeway wasn't built yet; her and my aunts and uncle had to cross over the mudflats. The gutted remains of the Guinness Mansion hadn't been levelled yet, either. Lots of change to go even before you get to the '70s expansion!

obligatory..
maxresdefault.jpg

now a tesco!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back