General election 2020 (6 Viewers)

i see FF TD jack chambers has come out; which is really a non story. i note though that he says he has the support of his family; a redundant claim, given that he owes his entire political career to nepotism.

Having moved to the sticks its really clear to see how the parish pump stuff is working and, as a result, who is going to be voted in whenever the next election takes place.

Firstly, shinners are a non-entity here (in Kilkenny). Even though lots of folks would consider themselves staunchly republican, shinners aren't on the ground helping (simple) people with their everyday shit.

Same with Fine Gael. They came around canvassing the other day but it was all very half-hearted and I can't even remember the candidate's name anymore.

Two parties have people doing that. The Greens and, mostly Fianna Fail.

I hate both of those parties but the FF lads are actually doing a lot for me and my ma. And as much as I hate them, it would be very hypocritical of me not to vote for them.

But politics is fucked. It shouldn't be like this. Every candidate should be as accessible as each other. I'd rather go looking for help from someone I felt more of an allegiance with, but not possible if they're closing themselves off.

Where I was living in Dublin, FF was also the party most visible on the ground helping with community issues. If SF or anyone else wants to be considered a serious option they really need to get their fingers out of their holes and look at what is going on around them.

Where I moved to in the Midlands there seems to be broad representation. There are SF and FG clinics/offices in the local village. I once saw Ming Flanagan driving through, probably on some right-to-destroy-the-bogs campaign. The one concerned citizens meeting I went to was attended by a FF TD.

i see eamon ryan has undertaken a task of meeting every councillor in the country - not one on one, but having 'town hall' meetings with them all. as you'd expect, he's getting a very frost reception in some places. i don't know if any other minister ever tried that before.

i see eamon ryan has undertaken a task of meeting every councillor in the country - not one on one, but having 'town hall' meetings with them all. as you'd expect, he's getting a very frost reception in some places. i don't know if any other minister ever tried that before.
Fair play to him for reducing the carbon footprint though

Here we see very little from our TD's, some of the county councillors do clinics but it's a very loose, so and so will be in such and such a pub or GAA club bar every third Thursday of the month kind of thing.

I only get canvassed by Fianna Fail at election time.

I do e-mail the TDs from time to time, they're usually good at at least getting back to me for the most part.

And as much as I hate them, it would be very hypocritical of me not to vote for them.

I don’t accept this premise. Nothing hypocritical in recognising a party’s overall influence on the country as a whole is a malign one and voting accordingly (regardless of what they do locally, which is not altruism so you owe them nothing).

I don’t accept this premise. Nothing hypocritical in recognising a party’s overall influence on the country as a whole is a malign one and voting accordingly (regardless of what they do locally, which is not altruism so you owe them nothing).
well let me put it another way. I have had some problems that I needed a politician's help with. The only one willing to help was a FF councillor.

From a purely selfish point-of-view, what happens if I need more help of this nature down the line, but that lad isn't in office?

I agree that this isn't how politics shouldn't work, but the point of my original point is to explain that this is exactly how it works.

well let me put it another way. I have had some problems that I needed a politician's help with. The only one willing to help was a FF councillor.

From a purely selfish point-of-view, what happens if I need more help of this nature down the line, but that lad isn't in office?

I agree that this isn't how politics shouldn't work, but the point of my original point is to explain that this is exactly how it works.

That’s it though, isn’t it? Selfishness. It should be the mark of an adult to act more responsibly than this. It’s what I was raised to expect, whether at home or at school, and all my adult live I’ve been consistently disappointed.

Alternate view - the concept that said cllr has inserted themselves in a structure where they become a middleman for somthing that probably should just be part of public service stuff is a reason to never vote for them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back