election (3 Viewers)

avernus said:
yeah honestly, theyre saying on sky news that he may be a very different Bush in his 2nd term and take heed of international opinion...but personally, I would imagine that since he now has been given an official mandate by the people - he has nothing to be concerned about in 4 years..so bombs ahoy, phone tapping, bigot rule and the spread of christianity to the muslim nations by way of uzis.
Basically, yes. At least under Reagan and Bush I, the House and Senate were dominated by Democrats.

Not only will Bush be able to do whatever he wants, if anyone contests it, the Supreme Court, soon to be packed with more right-wing crazies, will just cackle and push a button, sending said dissenters straight to the dungeon.

Let's remember that this man appointed, as his Surgeon General, a man who believes that people should get well through the power of prayer.

So much for separation of church and state!

Muscle Beach said:
in fairness, the US has long stuck two fingers to human rights. but yeah, things are looking bleak. bush the statesman. i wonder how he wants to be remembered?
I don't think he cares how, as long as he's remembered. And anyway, what with him trying to enact federal legislation for school curricula that is in line with his views, I think we'll have a few more problems on our hands.

And as for human rights, I know the US doesn't have a nice track record, but if you think what's happened up to now is bad, wait til we see what he does when he doesn't have re-election to worry about!

what the fuck is wrong with all of you? jane... stay passionate. i hate this bullshit... bush is obviously satan incarnate. and for someone to vote for him based on their views of abortion is fucking senseless. did i mention he's not even a woman? how the hell are you *supposed* to react to someone like that? "oh, would you like to come in for a cup of tea and talk about this?" - it's fucking idiots like this who are responsible for letting that idiot back into office. i pity you consience, if you have one. oh yeah, you feel sorry for all those aborted babies. sorry, i did a forget.

back to page 10...

jane said:
By the way, he will. He'll just reinstate the draft. There's not much stopping him. By the time anyone was able to do anything in the way of preventing it, thousands of unwitting teens will have been shipped off to war.
Surely this would be political suicide for the republicans though? Crazy as they are, I really don't think they could do this ...

Remember the big move of US and British forces towards Fallajuah a few days ago?

Yeah, that'll soon start making news. It's a slippery slope from here on in.

I cannot, just *cannot* understand how anyone could vote for Bush.

aoifed said:
:( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

Stoopid mericans. Ruining my evening. 'cept you Jane.
Tanks.

They've ruined mine, too.

I don't understand why people keep voting in crazy republicans! He's like that drunk, abusive uncle that you just can't not invite for Christmas. You know, the one who drinks all the booze, then throws the bottle against the wall, opens everyone else's presents and then breaks them, drives at least 1/3 of the room to tears and/or violence, and is STILL allowed to carve the turkey. And then he hacks it to pieces, pukes on himself, and passes out in a chair, sitting on the remote control.

It's like the American public (or half of them, anyway) have not only invited him to dinner, but have handed him the car keys and the deed to the house.

jane said:
I don't understand why people keep voting in crazy republicans! He's like that drunk, abusive uncle that you just can't not invite for Christmas. You know, the one who drinks all the booze, then throws the bottle against the wall, opens everyone else's presents and then breaks them, drives at least 1/3 of the room to tears and/or violence, and is STILL allowed to carve the turkey. And then he hacks it to pieces, pukes on himself, and passes out in a chair, sitting on the remote control.

QUOTE]

When children are victims of parental abuse or neglect, it's not uncommon that they become overtly clingy to that parent. And if the child gets into a scary situation, they're still going to want that parent they know there rather than someone they don't.

I hope it's not too perverse an analogy but it does seem that way to me.

aoifed said:
When children are victims of parental abuse or neglect, it's not uncommon that they become overtly clingy to that parent. And if the child gets into a scary situation, they're still going to want that parent they know there rather than someone they don't.

I hope it's not too perverse an analogy but it does seem that way to me.
Yeah, I know, it's probably totally inappropriate of us to suggest that sort of thing, but it just seems to make sense.

It's not just children, either. When people are in abusive relationships, they don't just have trouble leaving them because they might be afraid of what their partner might do (because often there are no threats like this), but more afraid of what would happen were they to have to be without them. There's a really unhealthy dependency that develops that is very difficult to recognise, not only as unhealthy, but as potentially dangerous.

People voted for someone whom they knew was dangerous, and bad for them. He didn't say the world would go to shit without him, but he did suggest that only he was equipped to protect the US from, well, everyone else in the world.

His approval rating a few months ago was abysmally low, and the majority of the country believed he lied about Iraq, and no longer thought he should have invaded. Now, I know not everyone voted because of Iraq, but that's a pretty big lie. It's not like lying to your wife about getting a little sucky suck from an intern.

No doubt in my mind than the fear factor and attacks on Kerry succeeded in pushing enough people against voting for kerry at the last minute - similar to what happenned in the Australian elections last month where pro-War PM Howard won comfortably despite having been level in the polls.

how the fuck did they manage to turn this election into a referendum on the challenger?

i had an impression that kerry was a weak indecisive candidate too until i saw him at the presidential debates - he had a clear grasp on the issues. just last week i saw footage for the first time of him making a speech at the time of approving support for the Iraq war - he made it clear that although he was voting to give authority to attack he was against the war and he was concerned that there was no plan to win the peace.

he was a good candidate and his main weakness was that he didn't fight dirty enough. integrity is good but expediency is well expedient.

one of the worst tragedies of the gung-ho post-9/11 US is that caution, wisdom and thinking things are now perceived by many as weak and indecision.

this is a really low day though now - a majority of americans have cosnidered Dubya's record from the last four years and decided he's fit to keep his job. imagine how you'd feel if you were an ayrab. i'd the say the 'evildoers' can't deal with the queues of youngsters prepared to now die for the cause. Sad to say it but American civilians are going to pay for this again some time soon.

BTW: i hear there's a protest at the US embassyin ballsbridge tomorrow from 5 - 6:30pm

hag said:
what the fuck is wrong with all of you? jane... stay passionate. i hate this bullshit... bush is obviously satan incarnate. and for someone to vote for him based on their views of abortion is fucking senseless. did i mention he's not even a woman? how the hell are you *supposed* to react to someone like that? "oh, would you like to come in for a cup of tea and talk about this?" - it's fucking idiots like this who are responsible for letting that idiot back into office. i pity you consience, if you have one. oh yeah, you feel sorry for all those aborted babies. sorry, i did a forget.

back to page 10...

Presuming this is referring to me, it's actually pretty academic as I don't have an american vote. I was merely expressing an opinion. If someone cares deeply about abortion and feels that President Bush is the candidate most likely to bring about change, why shouldn't they vote for Bush? Equally, if someone feels that abortion services need to be safeguarded, why shouldn't they vote for Kerry? (After all, it was an issue discussed at the debates) The fact of the matter is that the top issue cited by voters in exit polls was moral issues (albeit mainly gay marriage). Every vote is equal, every voter has the right to prioritise or deprioritise the issues as they wish, and therefore criticising someone for considering abortion (or anything else) an important factor in their vote - for either candidate - is futile.

Also what's the point in being abusive?

"when the bombs start falling on the first day of world war three, gonna grab me a girl and go and fuck her, yeah yeah world war three"

BTW www.uselectionatlas.org already has full election maps for each state showing how the vote went at county level. Very interesting stuff, especially for expats.

Also, instead of shouting at me, can I suggest those in search of aggravation go across to www.politics.ie where the young gentlemen of the Freedom Institute are having an extended gloat-in at Mr. Bush's victory (the open election thread in the US elections submenu of the election menu in the community board.) You will be guaranteed hours of Mutually Assured Loathing. I'm no fun as I won't shout back, and am not a party partisan.

Finally respect to John Kerry for putting up a good campaign. I had roughly the same experience (albeit at a somewhat more inconsequential level) and I remember how bad I felt when I lost, so I can only guess how he feels now.

oh......................................bugger

but this made good reading for the last half hour guys

best thread ever

garyhart1984.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back