Referendums 24, a woman's place is wherever she wants it to be? (2 Viewers)

Voting intentions

• Yes Yes

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Yes No

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No No

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • There’s no limits.

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
I read the original Citizen's Assembly wording about 10 minutes ago, and then closed the tab, and now I can't find it again. Do you have it to hand @ann post ?
This recommendation was sent to the Oireachtas as part of the SecondReport of the Convention on the Constitution.8 The Government accepted therecommendation on the need to amend Article 41.2, noting that a reference tocarers in the Constitution required further reflection and consultation. It set upa Task Force to consider an appropriate response which reported in October20169, setting out three broad options:

1) to replace Article 41.2 with a provision which recognises the work of carersin the home, and a commitment to endeavour to support this work;

2) to extend the commitment to ‘endeavour to support’ carers beyond thehome, through a new Article 45.4.310 which would recognise care in thebroader community, as well as in the home;

or3) to repeal Article 41.2 altogether (this approach was not recommended bythe Task Force).

Hmmm I thought there was something about "make reasonable efforts to support care in the home and in the wider community" but I can't find it now. Maybe it was only speculation

edit: oh, so the Task Force explicitly decided not to include carers beyond the home in 'endeavour to support'. I wonder was that on foot of the AG's advice - he seems to be worried that even the existing amendment will have a big financial impact, according to this

Anyone else find it mad that the text of the amendment was not included on the voting cards? So you are just handed two separate cards, one for the 39th Amendment, and one for the 40th amendment- so unless you know which is which you don't actually know what you are voting for. Absolutely crazy

To be fair the cards say amendment to the Family/Care bills.

Anyone else find it mad that the text of the amendment was not included on the voting cards? So you are just handed two separate cards, one for the 39th Amendment, and one for the 40th amendment- so unless you know which is which you don't actually know what you are voting for. Absolutely crazy

It's laid on on the polling card they send out to you.

What's the argument for just deleting the previous text rather than replacing it with a new all inclusive text? A kinda secularism Vs multi denominational approach.

I heard some whispers of ‘this is all a plot to bring more baby eating Muslims into the country’ from a uninformed source.

Was there much influence from that quarter do people think/know?
One gobshite I know was saying this is a victory against the woke degenerate brigade. So there probably was a fair bit of influence there.

One gobshite I know was saying this is a victory against the woke degenerate brigade. So there probably was a fair bit of influence there.
Actually I found reference to it… apparently the rumour was that durable relationships could include polygamous marriages, and allow more family members to be brought into the country. By the standards of right wing theories that’s less crazy than I expected…

the 'no because religion' gang had a lot of solid one liner bits floating around social media, none of it fact checked or bearing on reality but very much in the zone of things that they like to hear.

I'm not to concerned wether they think it is a win or not.
from a disability perspective i've technically not been written out of the consitution
on the international side, irelands govt already look like dicks in europe for A: having the sexist line in the constitution and B: being behind the rest of europe on disability policy. They tried to fudge even less legal rights into the constitution by giving women a hobsons choice referendum on international womens day. They look like dicks now, and they deserve to for ignoring europe, ignoring the citizens assembly, ignoring the UN and trying to pull a fast one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back