Feisty
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
On a platform shaped like a HIV positive foetus, a
Website
theppk.com
Cracking 'fuck you' piece in today's IT

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...-is-normal-it-s-time-to-get-over-it-1.1549402

Menstruating is normal. Sex is normal. Contraception is normal. Abortion is normal. It’s time to get over it.
Opinion: Many women are not hurt by abortion but relieved by it
image.jpg

Pro-choice demonstrators at a demonstration in Dublin last year. Photograph: Aidan Crawley

Anthea McTeirnan
News

First published:Fri, Oct 4, 2013, 08:02
Menstruating is normal. Sex (of many varieties) is normal. Pregnancy is normal. Preventing pregnancy is normal. Failing to prevent pregnancy is normal. Facing a pregnancy you didn’t intend is normal. Having a child is normal. Having an abortion is normal. This is 2013. It is normal to be a woman of reproductive age. It was always normal.

All societies, with the possible exception of Canada, seem to think that women need rules to guide and govern them as they steer through their decades of reproductive potency. Without rules, women will be rudderless in a mire of menstrual blood and conceptional gore. Without rules there could be anarchy. Women may literally run amok, and no one wants to see women running amok.

Thankfully great men have produced such rules.

Great men have worked out that the foetus is ensouled at 120 days. Other great men have worked out that those great men are wrong. These great men have worked out that human life begins at conception.

Other great men have worked out that 24 weeks is the correct limit for women in Britain to be allowed to access an abortion. Great men have decided that women inIreland cannot have an abortion. Well maybe if she is dying. Maybe. But if she’s suicidal, she’s going to have to convince us.

Safe medical procedure
Legislating to control women’s bodies is not normal. Abortion is normal. Women get pregnant when they don’t want to be. Why a woman doesn’t want to be pregnant is not the business of any state or any church. Abortion is normal. It is one of the safest medical procedures known today. Yet according to the World Health Organisation, 47,000 women die every year as a result of unsafe abortions. Many more women who survive an unsafe procedure are so physically and emotionally damaged that they are left disabled by the infections, the bleeding, the sepsis, the sheer damn trauma.

Women die because states meddle, churches seek to control and great men obfuscate. Women do not die because of abortion. Safe, legal abortion is a safe medical procedure.

It is right, at this time of the recent Global Day of Action for Access to Safe and Legal Abortion, to remember the thousands of women who have lost their lives because great men have failed. In Ireland, we think again of Savita Halappanavar and we are so sad.

It is equally important to remind all women that having an abortion, if that is what they want to do, is not dangerous. It can be uncomfortable, painful and emotionally challenging, but it is not dangerous. It is a procedure that many women can and do access easily and in a perfunctory way.

Ridiculous world
Think, for a moment, of a person in Ireland who needs a tooth removed. Imagine if they had to plan to travel to England: they had to save money, book flights, book a babysitter, locate a dentist, get directions. Then – all on an empty stomach and in a rush after a procedure – they had to bundle themselves, tired and bleeding, onto their non-transferable flight home. No you can’t imagine it because it is ridiculous. It would be ridiculous to put anyone through such nonsense. Yet women in Ireland must live in that ridiculous world.

I am not equating having an abortion with having a tooth out. Every woman has her own experience of an abortion. For some women it is a challenging and upsetting experience. For others, it is not.

“I was not hurt by abortion, I was relieved by abortion” is the reflection of one of the thousands of women who have left Ireland in 2013 to have an abortion. “Sometimes I feel obliged to appear sad.”

Jenny (not her real name) was relieved, but she decided not to tell the friends she was visiting the next day about the abortion. “I could either be quiet or appear broken. That’s what people expect. I didn’t feel broken. I kept quiet.”

The worst thing about having an abortion is not the procedure, it is not being able to have that abortion where you want to have it, when you want to have it. In your country, near your friends, near your bed.

Of course, thanks to the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act 2013, the worst thing may be the up-to-14 years imprisonment for ending your pregnancy in this country by taking a pill readily available via the internet and legal in many jurisdictions.

Thirty years ago next Monday, article 40.3.3 of the Constitution was enacted. It is time to repeal the Eighth Amendment and end equating of the lives of women with an implanted embryo. Women are not hurt by abortion, women are hurt by denying them safe, legal abortion. It is time to be kind.

Watch the Irish Family Planning Association and International Planned Parenthood Federation video about women and abortion in Ireland at: http://iti.ms/1a3uXGJ

Geoff Scargill - a regular letter-writer. Can you name others?

WGA Scott, Wicklow
Robert O'Sullivan, somewhere in Cork
Leslie Craven, Moyne Road, Ranelagh
Paul Kinsella, Dublin 9

Tony Allwright from howth

and some guy from Knocklyon whose name I can't remember. When I browse the letters I recognise the names from before, then just ignore the letter.

Edit:

http://www.tallrite.com/letters2thepress/irishtimesletters.htm

Tony Allwright has a website where he lists all his letters

People with children often look at their babies and say of abortion "I hate this. It is wrong."
Don't think so. With the various means of contraception available I think that the number of planned pregnancies should be greater than the number of unintended ones.

Yes. Probably more planned pregnancies that unplanned.
But still, unintended pregnancies are massively common, particularly among the young.

People with children often look at their babies and say of abortion "I hate this. It is wrong."

I am sure some do. It's easy to see why they would feel that way.

We all have choices to make in these situations.
My view is that people should be free to make the decision they want.

Geoff Scargill - a regular letter-writer. Can you name others?

WGA Scott, Wicklow
Robert O'Sullivan, somewhere in Cork
Leslie Craven, Moyne Road, Ranelagh
Paul Kinsella, Dublin 9

Paul Delaney from Dalkey. Who I have the honour to know to say hello to. He's fucking sound. Son was in the rather wonderful Bambi.

There's a Joe Harvey (?), I think is his name, from Glenageary.

The path less travelled.
The less popular option.

Based on the premise I outlined in post #7 surely the "more usual" outcome to a pregnancy will be birth rather than termination.
yes but planned pregnancies are irrelevant to the question - abortion isn't an option associated with planned pregnancy. (with 'non-viable' pregnancies being a different issue, obviously)

yes but planned pregnancies are irrelevant to the question - abortion isn't an option associated with planned pregnancy. (with 'non-viable' pregnancies being a different issue, obviously)

That's not what I initially took from the article although I can understand your interpretation having read it again.

The headline (not sure who came up with it) does not qualify or describe the circumstances of the pregnancy. It would have worked better (and appeared less confrontational) as "Menstruating is normal. Sex is normal. Contraception is normal. Abortion should be normal in a crisis or unplanned pregnancy. It’s time to get over it."

That's not what I initially took from the article although I can understand your interpretation having read it again.

The headline (not sure who came up with it) does not qualify or describe the circumstances of the pregnancy. It would have worked better (and appeared less confrontational) as "Menstruating is normal. Sex is normal. Contraception is normal. Abortion should be normal in a crisis or unplanned pregnancy. It’s time to get over it."
maybe it should also have qualified that menstruating is only normal for women of childbearing age, and of course to any right-thinking person it would be horrific if men or children were expected to menstruate

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back