election (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth said:
oh......................................bugger

but this made good reading for the last half hour guys

best thread ever

garyhart1984.gif
Awesome! Bring back Gary Hart!

And Pat Robertson! Wait, remember how we thought he was mental? I do.

Pantone247 said:
I think Michael Moore is just as much a crank as you Jane

Cowabunga

;)
pants, i gotta say it... i'm totally disappointed. i hope you don't give a crap.

What You Won't Hear on TV Today

Governor Howard Dean sent this message to Democracy for America supporters today.

Montana, one of the reddest states, has a new Democratic governor.

First-time candidates for state legislatures from Hawaii to Connecticut beat incumbent Republicans.

And a record number of us voted to change course—more Americans voted against George Bush than any sitting president in history.

you just don't get it, do you...

what's the point in re-electing an abusive president? that's a really polite, well-constructed question. answer it.

ElderLemon said:
Also what's the point in being abusive?

so there is some protest on at the american embassy later to ummm..protest against americans voting for the wrong dude or something.

I for one will not be attending. I truly dislike the idea of protesting against an election result. there is something very creepy about it in my opinion.

avernus said:
....he may be a very different Bush in his 2nd term and take heed of international opinion...QUOTE]

On CNN last night all they could ask was how Europe and especially France will have to change their position to fit in with another 4 years of Bush. They never talked about Bush changing his position or reconciling any differences!
How are people to make educated decisions when they aren't given 2 sides to a story? The american TV networks have a lot to answer for

ElderLemon said:
Many Ohio voters, for instance, may have voted for Kerry because they think that his economic policies will bring jobs back to Ohio, and they might get a job (or a better job) as a result. Is that crass and selfish? No.
It depends. If more desperate someone is, the more excusable certain behaviours are. A destitute person voting for a despot who will give him a living is excusable, a rich person voting for a despot who increase his wealth is not.
(I don't mean to suggest that GWB is a despot, like the Niemoller quote I'm just trying to illustrate a point)

As I've said, some people focus on a defining issue and vote accordingly, others will consider the Candidate positions on a range of issues. People simply approach voting in different ways....
That doesn't make it ok. Deciding something this important on a single issue is irresponsible

"Since 2000, Ohio has lost 225,000 jobs and seen its unemployment rate rise from 3.9 percent to 5.8 percent. Taxes also have jumped, with The Tax Foundation, a conservative research group in Washington, ranking it third in the nation in its tax burden on residents, up from 14th in 1999."

These people believed that this time around he was going to magically reverse this appalling trend?

"There's no difference between democrats and republicans. There's a difference between double-knit pantsuits and potatoes. If the spud fits, wear it!" -DEVO

So many people feel voiceless and helpless right now, especially those who have spent their lives fighting for social justice.

This is what my da, a 71-year old clergyman, who feels he can't say what he really thinks, has to say:

"I'm gasping for air. There is no oxygen in the air I breathe. I want to breathe, even if for just a moment, the air I can remember decades ago, air that made me believe everything was possible. This is a foreign country to me.I realize there are millions of people out there who could not begin to understand what I'm feeling today and what I'm thinking, to say nothing about many of our members and friends at the church. More and more,we are surrounded by people, in State and Church, who are trying to hold off the future. Superficial, mind-numbing, nationalistic, self-righteous, pietistic babble is taking the place of honest hope and sincere vision, communication, commitment and real courage...I believe a vote for Bush was objectively sinful. It was a vote to hold us back from becoming as fully human as we are called to be. I believe the blood of every one of our young military who has been killed in Iraq and will be killed is on the hands of each person who voted for him, to say nothing of the thousands of Iraqis.

I cancelled my appointments today. I need some time. In the 1960's I helped mount a campaign against the Bishop of Rome, and I demonstrated for civil rights (and was labeled a communist by fellow clergy). In the 1970's I joined demonstrations against the Vietnam War. But what can I do now? What if I preached a sermon about what I really thought aand felt? Perhaps we should begin thinking about moving somewhere else. Imagine how baffled and mystified people would be if we ever announced and did such a thing. We would be denounced as ridiculous, unpatriotic etc.
I believe I will adjust as always...maybe. I will continue to fight the good fight...maybe. But this is surely the most discouraged and frustrated I can remember ever feeling. Gasping for air. Imprisoned. Dishonest. Misery loves company. Still, I feel that I should be offering you consolation, encouragement etc. I'm sorry I'm not, but God knoes I've had it completely.
Love, Dad"

I feel really sad. These are the Americans who have been truly brave, and I feel we've totally let them down.

jane said:
"This is a foreign country to me."
I sat at home last night drinking myself into a stupor and started reading Philip Roth's new book "The Plot Against America". It imagines what would have happened if the republicans nominated an anti-semitic Nazi sympathiser and then won the presidency in 1940. Anyway, it's told from the perspective of a jewish family in Newark and your Dad's sentiments above *exactly* correspond with those of the narrator. Weird parallels all round. Unfortunately because of the drinking I can't really remember what happened in Chapter 3 so I might have to start again ....

hey jane! i see where you get the penchant for long posts comes from!

seriously though, your dad sounds cool. it must be infuriating for him to have protested so much in the past and to see such lazy-minded apathy around him today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back