Battlestar Galactica (2 Viewers)

Yeah - really enjoyed it.

So I guess Starbuck jumped them back through the black hole 150000 years earlier.
What the hell was Starbuck - an angel sent by the gods?
I don't really get the Baltar/Seven angels thing either?? How is he immortal all of a sudden.

i think this sums it up nicely:
  1. Jeff Says:
    March 21st, 2009 at 3:27 am I could not have been more disappointed with the cowardly ambiguity of this finale. You built Kara up to be something, but without even your own idea as to what. That’s not writing. That’s daydreaming. You built Hera up to be something, but she turned out to be nothing more than a little girl. She affected nothing. You turned Adama into a simpering goat, who dealt with death on a daily basis but abandoned his son and everyone else because Rosslyn was dying. Apollo had lost a wife. Kara had lost a husband. Adama can’t suck it up and accept death? Hard to take.
    The head six and head Baltar were “angels” all along. No scientific explanation even attempted. Not for them. Not for Kara. Not for everyone’s various visions. All the work of some higher power. All along, we’re watching a show about a chaotic God who sometimes wants to do good, sometimes wants to do evil, and only plays with a few selected characters. No further explanation given. There’s a fine line between clever and stupid, but this is just disrespectful to your fans.
    You abandoned your prophecies - the dying leader DID live to see the new world. Kara Thrace was NOT the harbinger of anyone’s death.
    And her body was found on the old dead Earth. Yet the song led her to the new Earth. Yet the Viper was built to go to the old Earth. Yet the planet you showed when she returned was the new Earth. All it means is that you didn’t know what the heck you were doing. It meant nothing.
    The song woke up the cylons, but she heard it too. Her father taught it to her. And you can say it was a “music is universal” meme, but that’s garbage. THAT song was the coordinates to Earth. Hera drew it. Kara typed it. But if it was God, why did it wake up the Cylons? Did God do that? If it was a cylon trigger, why did Kara know it in her youth? She wasn’t any part Cylon, according to you.
    That’s writing of convenience. It’s lazy, undeserving of the build up you gave it, of the accolades you once received, and of your viewer’s intelligence. Deus Ex Machina is the simplest, tackiest “get out of jail free” card in writing, and you used it like carnival tickets, basically saying “God did it” for every one of your plot holes. Angels. Demons. Toy Robot montages. Hackery.
    It’s like saying, “Well, we wanted to leave it up to the viewer’s imagination weather or not Frodo made it to Mordor. Or weather Gollum was a hero or a villain.” Garbage. A writer makes decisions and tells a tale. If you intend on being ambiguous to encourage thought or posit the unknowable, then you do it with strong writing, and you tell your viewer that’s what it’s going to be. We didn’t need to see what Roy’s life was going to be like at the end of Close Encounters, we were artfully delivered to a place where our imagination could take over, and every promise made leading up to that point had been fulfilled. We know we’re not meant to understand the end of 2001. We were clearly told that whatever was happening was beyond understanding, but, like David Bowman, we had to know anyway.
    You made promise after promise, blatantly advertising, “They have a plan” and “You will know the truth”. But you did either. There was NO plan revealed, and not one single truth resolved in the finale. If you need ANOTHER two hours to wrap things up, unable to fit the narrative into a season of virtually hollow episodes, then all you’re doing is explaining yourself after the reading of the tale is complete. That means the tale itself was incomplete.
    There are spans of Galactica that are brilliant. But you brought it home in a mess that left no threads tied, no questions answered (apparently even in your own mind), and little satisfaction. What’s worse, is that in failing to resolve these threads, you’ve damaged the watchability of some previous great hours of television. Going back, I’ll know the prophesies meant NOTHING. The Opera House was no more than Baltar and Six taking a scared child to safety - the same exact place that Athena or Rosslyn themselves would have taken her. And that there was no outcome she affected, other than as a hostage that both sides cared for. It could have been Kara or Apollo or anyone that had been taken, rescued, and then held at gunpoint. Anyone. I’ll know that when Kara returns, there is no payoff. Just a wandering random two-planet confusion. Hours of foreshadowing and build up and prophecy that you DID NOT EVEN ATTEMPT to resolve. Just end.
    An ending is not a resolution. Galactica may have ended tonight, but you robbed your fans of a resolution.

i missed this one myself:

In regards to Adama getting questioned under the lie detector. The guys asks him if he is a Cylon right? But the timeline is all wrong for that question unless he has a LOT more information than he should. They didn’t know about the “skin-jobs” until AFTER the attack on Caprica correct? Or did I miss something?

i think this sums it up nicely:

For me the finale went a long way to making up for the fairly gick season that preceded it. It's clear they had written themselves into several corners and that commenter accurately and angrily catalogues those problems well enough.
At a couple of points when I thought "this episode is heading to shitsville" it did a 180 and brought it back (the major one being the apparent compromise between the crew and Cavill's forces in the CIC).
But character wise I think it was an enormous success and it left me very satisfied. Tyroll and Adama's respective fuck off's were believable enough for me (Tyroll's just been through the mill and Adama's been stressed the fuck out for four years/health seemed to be failing in the last season). Roslin's death was nicely done, just slipping away quitely while Adama harps on about gardening. The only thing that pisses me off was Starbuck vanishing. They should have left it at least a little more ambiguous then vanishing in the middle of a field when Lee's back is turned, like maybe not being there when everyone wakes up one morning.
I thought the flashbacks actually ended up justifying themselves for the most part too. It was nice seeing some of the characters juxtaposed with the way they were more or less at the start of the miniseries/season one. I particularly like one of the last flashbacks with Tigh and Ellen, where Ellen says she's glad he's packing in his military career because she's only ever wanted to be with him full time instead of weekends etc. The fact that Tigh obviously doesn't is the cause of the "troubles with the wife?" that Starbuck teases him about at the card game in the miniseries, why he's burning a ciger through a picture of her etc. Thought that was nice.

Also, it didn't disappoint on the enormous, sfx-tastic space battle front either.

All that nice stuff said there were a few rubbish bits. In particular I could die happy if that awful scene in new york at the end was obliterated from my memory.

EDIT - Adama sicking up all over himself was class.

Battlestar Von Daniken

Star Trek TNG did an episode where it turned out that a humanoid race started life on earth as well as loads of other planets.

That's why most of the species they've ever encountered are humanoid, see! It all makes sense...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back