TV Shows I don't Get (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Friends

never got it. Not sure I ever laughed at anything in it, ever.

I'm old enough to remember when it was shown first time around and it, along with ER, seemed to be the only thing people watched.

I watched both to have something to talk to girls about.

Yer man dying is sad and all, but it isn't the punch in the gut for me that it is for others.

I will NEVER for the life of me understand the appeal of cooking programmes or tv dramas about doctors/hospitals/etc

and don't get me started on 'reality' tv, ffs

For such a humongous, cultural milestone, mainstream success, Friends is pretty good. Compared to the absolute wank that came after it, How I Met Your Mother and the nerds one etc. It's really quite watchable.

I wouldn't hold up it up against Seinfeld or Simpsons s04-06. Nothing can compare to that level

Seinfeld.

Not. A. Clue

I've probably said this before, but I didn't get Seinfeld until I watched a standup show. It had a lot of the same jokes, but then the TV show made more sense. It's hard to explain.

That was twenty years ago, might not hold up well.

Never liked Friends. The decades of reruns didn't help it, but it just seemed dumb. Not as dumb as big bang theory.

Seinfeld best programme ever. Friends a bit funny. Give no fucks about yer man kicking the hot tub.

I am officially banning cooking shows from the telly while I'm in the room.. they're just for fatso's.

There's too much fucking eating going on in this country

I'm so not down for another generation of simpsons quotes - moratorium is required.
I don't like sienfeld because it is literally one joke for all eternity, and if you don't like that joke.
Most comedy is horrific to watch in all fairness.

I got plenty of escapist laughs out of Friends in the 90s
I think the appeal is still similar today; having lost stakes high drama with your cool friends in impossible apartments and everyone will always love each other. I'll be there for you.
It's a fairytale about adulthood. Let the kids have it.

Loved and still love Seinfeld. Like a perfectly filigreed piece of gold.

Never appreciated Father Ted. An English production on an English TV station with stupid and backward Irish characters. Whoop dee doo. Innovative or what?
SOmeone on this board once called it "a minstrel show for the English" and I could never come up with better than that.
I find it really weird how it's quoted relentlessly in Irish cultural discourse. The way Fintan O'Toole would always throw a Yeats quote out there, a huge majority of Irish people think they have summed a topic up by saying "a great bunch of lads".
And am never surprised that if English people quote it to you, it's more often than not Dougal they're quoting.
Unendingly hilarious to me that Linehan basically turned out to be a culturally radioactive non-person. And the country still goes around quoting him.

I also basically can't watch anything with English people in it, cos i find them so fucking dull. but that's my own shit.

I didn't mind first series or two of Friends, because I was young, but I definitely thought at the time that Joey was the only one that was actually funny in it. It immediately got tiring after a couple of seasons, for sure.

Seinfeld is class, Curb is better.
Father Ted rules.

Simpsons S04-09 is the best of all.

I have never watched a full episode of Friends.
I didn't watch TV for three years in the mid 90's circa 18-21 y.o. so too old for it anyway.

the vast majority of TV shows are a dreadful waste of people's time.

hospital / medical dramas are without fail an insult to people who really do that work.
Holby City was one my mother watched, much too my annoyance, when I was in the kitchen on Saturday nights.

A quack doctor was doing a medical trial with no supervision and patients died but no staff noticed anything was wrong for months. One nurse sincerely said she thought the quack was going to win a Nobel prize.
Most of the doctors were horrible - very competitive, constantly trying to out do colleagues and lots love rivalry and jealousy about who was riding who.
Eventually a horrible doctor's son went insane with a gun and massacred a load of staff at the hospital!!!
I don't blame him.
also there was loads of over dramatic A&E scenes.

real people who work in hospitals are generally amazing people.
anyway that was just the worst of the worst. I hardly ever watch TV drama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back