TV Shows I don't Get (2 Viewers)

Seinfeld.

Not. A. Clue
took me ages to get into it as rte or whatever channel first showed it here had it very late on a Thursday night if I recall correctly so couldn't get into the rhythm of it as I'd only see it now and then

the 2 part episode where they had some baseball player (Keith Hernandez) guesting and parodied JFK/back and to the left was where the penny dropped for me, loved it thereafter

Never appreciated Father Ted. An English production on an English TV station with stupid and backward Irish characters. Whoop dee doo. Innovative or what?
SOmeone on this board once called it "a minstrel show for the English" and I could never come up with better than that.
couldn’t disagree with you more on that. It had Irish writers, a fully Irish cast, filmed in Ireland and aimed at an Irish audience. They approached RTE, who wouldn’t touch it because of how subversive it was in taking apart the ridiculousness of the church in Ireland, so they took it to C4. It would have otherwise looked the exact same on RTE. It was brilliant and stills holds up.
The fact that Linehan has since lost his mind is a separate matter entirely.

couldn’t disagree with you more on that. It had Irish writers, a fully Irish cast, filmed in Ireland and aimed at an Irish audience. They approached RTE, who wouldn’t touch it because of how subversive it was in taking apart the ridiculousness of the church in Ireland, so they took it to C4. It would have otherwise looked the exact same on RTE. It was brilliant and stills holds up.
The fact that Linehan has since lost his mind is a separate matter entirely.

Yeah - at the time it was made the church still had real power in this country, and the worst of the abuse was just coming to light. I think that’s important context for at least part of its appeal here.

They approached RTE, who wouldn’t touch it because of how subversive it was in taking apart the ridiculousness of the church in Ireland, so they took it to C4.

The urban myth that Father Ted was rejected by RTÉ has always concealed a more damning truth: RTÉ was not approached in the first place.

Bringing the idea to RTÉ, the show’s co-creator Arthur Mathews once said, would have made as much sense as bringing it to Waterford Crystal.

Yeah
It was always gonna be on English TV, never intended as a show for RTE or Ireland; they obviously needed Irish actors though.
Matthews and Linehan were deeply London based writing for English TV shows. That was their thing.
Ireland was their niche; like that skit on Partridge.
I kinda sorta half-know Matthews from stuff he did before England and Ted.
He did comics and all sorts of other projects with someone I know fairly well. Which is to say, good luck to him.

I think there's a thread of Linehan's moral righteousness from the church & Father Ted to his Waterloo with the internet trans wars.
He thinks he's smarter and more moral than everyone else. But maybe that's comedians all over.

Linehan lost his career.
His mind ?...mmm, I dunno
He lost his mind. Doesn't matter if he was right or wrong on the issue. He sacrificed his whole life over an internet argument.

He became a dril tweet
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah, neither stand up to rewatches for me.
On principle I like bottom, but I think the new statesman is probably the peak of riks stuff for me
Bottom is Mr Bean with cursing. I’ve never liked Rik Mayall in anything in fairness, not my style of humour. Him, Martin Clunes, Harry Enfield, etc. all represent a very English “lads” comedy that just brings me out in cringe.

He lost his mind. Doesn't matter if he was right or wrong on the issue. He sacrificed his whole life over an internet argument.

He became a dril tweet
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

he lost his wife and his twitter account

musk could only get one of them back for him

It was always gonna be on English TV, never intended as a show for RTE or Ireland; they obviously needed Irish actors though.

I'd kinda just look at it that if I was writing and pitching a comedy at that time, I'd probably shoot for channel 4 at that time 1st because it was a decent enough station in the era and a huge platform - if that failed you'd move around other markets. If it was today TG4 would be a good bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back