Anyone not at Daniel Johnston? (1 Viewer)

A guy i know, who shall remain nameless, once suggested that kids with ADHD could attend a summer school to improve their attention span and it could be called 'concentration camp'.
THAT SOUNDS LIKE EITHER LEFTY OR THE NINJA....

MC PAUL BARMAN HAD A DEADLY LINE.. HE ASKED HIS GRAN "HOW MUCH DID THE HOLOCAUST?"

ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!

Daniel Johnston isn't he the guy who's name is never mentioned in the press without a reference to Kurt Cobain liking him? What's the story with him? From reading these posts about the crowd being 'patronising' or whatnot it sounds like he has some sort of illness???

AMAZING
nearly twenty songs - three on his own on guitar, one on his own on the keyboards, then five or so with his old pal Brett [SIZE=-1]Hartenbach on guitar, a twenty minute break and rest of the songs with the band.

Really loved all the bits. Getting him to sing rather than play and sing helped a lot, his twitching made it really difficult for him and seemed to make him more nervous.

How great was 'Living Life'? And Rock'N'Roll in the end of the rock set? Huh?
[/SIZE]

Daniel Johnston isn't he the guy who's name is never mentioned in the press without a reference to Kurt Cobain liking him? What's the story with him? From reading these posts about the crowd being 'patronising' or whatnot it sounds like he has some sort of illness???

Daniel Dale Johnston (b. January 22, 1961) is an American singer, songwriter and musician. Johnston was the subject of the 2005 documentary The Devil and Daniel Johnston. He currently lives in a house adjacent to his parents' home in Waller, Texas.
Johnston, who has been diagnosed with manic depression,[1] has been classified as an outsider musician. His songs are typically painfully direct, and often display a disturbing blend of childlike naïveté with darker, "spooky" themes. Johnston's earliest recordings present him singing in a high register. However, throughout the nineties his voice acquired a new character and tone and an altogether different style of delivery and diction. This may have been inspired by a mixture of the damage done by smoking, tooth loss and medication prescribed to control his bipolar disorder. His performances often seem faltering or uncertain; one critic writes that Johnston's recordings range from "spotty to brilliant."[2]

For more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Johnston
www.hihowareyou.com
http://www.rejectedunknown.com/

Cheers!

Had heard of that movie, but didn't make the connection.

So what's with the nazi salutes? Okay if you are on medication? Not okay if you are David Bowie?

ah, he was buzzin. I certainly didn't think he meant anything by it. It was just after he walked back out on stage after the break, and looked as giddy as hell. Then while someone was setting up his songbook, he said it. Not that clearly, but you could hear him. It was nothing.

OK.

Thats a couple of times I've seen him now and I must say it leaves me in two minds. He is so nervous and unstable it is painful to watch and I end up looking around the crowd wondering how many people are here just hoping for the gig to turn into a train wreck.

I feel guitly for being there because he is so terrified performing that I feel I am doing harm just be turning up.

It was like that for the first few songs last night.

When he was saying "Testing 1 2 3" into the mic at the piano and some cunt for the back said "are those the lyrics" firstly I wanted to throttle the little fucker and second I got the impression it rattled Daniel a bit. He was so uncomfortable looking playing the keyboard I thought he would walk off then.

Then when he started into the stuff from Songs OF Pain - I was slain. Not having to play himself and having Brett there seemed to make him more comfortable. If I had been asked beforhand what would I love to hear it would have been Greviances, Living Life, Life in Vain so this bit was absolutely fantastic.

The other thought that is always stuck in the back of my mind with Daniel is these days how much of what you hear is Daniel and how much is Mark Likous or whoever is producing. So I must say I didn't enjoy the part after the interval with Crayonsmith as much. Fish was great as was Speedy Motorcycle and Walking the Cow but the songs from Rejected Unknown and Fear Yourself songs always sound like Daniel imitating Daniel to me.

The Heil Hitler and the piece about the joke he's not allowed tell gave a little insight into how manipulative he is supposed to be. It was very deliberate and very knowing and I suppose he relies on his illness to get away with things like that.

So - overall I loved it. Still I have some reservations about the whole setup.

Still I have some reservations about the whole setup.

So do i!
I would have loved to have seen a totally unfettered solo set.
The 'purest' Daniel Johnston experience.

But the truth of the matter is that there was NO way Daniel was going to perform any more songs without a band.
He just wasn't comfortable enough.

He even skipped over a few songs he was meant to do with Brett (the guitarist) and then also scrapped half the planned encore.

I knew when i agreed to do it that there was the possibility that i could ruin/muddy his songs for people, but then i realized that if i didn't do it someone else would and that at least i had a knowledge of (and respect for) the songs to try and do them justice.

We were just asked for guitar, bass and drums.
We added the keyboard element off our own bat, because we were worried about overRAWKing the whole thing.
But with songs like 'Rock this Town' and 'Rock N' Roll EGA' (and these are the songs that Daniel wants to play MOST of all) there's little other option!
Even in the soundcheck Daniel and his brother were urging us to play louder, heavier and faster.

I know a lot of people just wanted to see Daniel the lonely troubadour, but that really is just one facet of the man's personality (as long term fans know)

Personally for me the highlight of the set was seeing Daniel and Brett perform 'Go'.
Astounding.

So do i!
Personally for me the highlight of the set was seeing Daniel and Brett perform 'Go'.
Astounding.

Fair play, I thought yis were deadly.

I thought it quite funny how some people reacted to some of the songs. Like for 'Go', there was much mirth when he sang the lines, 'some say life's like a cow, but I don't know how that applies'

He jokingly reassured us that the songs weren't funny. I think the term he used was 'morbid'.

When I say I have reservations about the setup - it was more a general thing about seeing Daniel live than ther fact that there was a band.

Actually I liked the fact that there was an interval and then you got to see a different side of him after the break. Anyway anything that makes him more comfortable is going to result in a better expeerience for all concerned.

I just always have this nagging fear at the back of my mind that a DJ gig is just an event for people to say they were at, and there is an attitiude of "aww bles - hasn't the crazy man written a cute tune" among a pretty big section of the audience.

I hope everybody is genuine and respectful (I hope I am!) cause I would hate to think of him as some sort of Aidan Walsh character.

I just always have this nagging fear at the back of my mind that a DJ gig is just an event for people to say they were at, and there is an attitiude of "aww bles - hasn't the crazy man written a cute tune" among a pretty big section of the audience.

nail on the head there. When I said before that I thought some of the crowd were a little bit patronising, an example of this was when he first walked out on stage. People were screaming. Normally an act has to earn that kind of a reaction, but he got it by just walking onstage. There was definitely a hint of 'aw bless' about the whole thing.

Personally, I feared it'd be a debacle, but was very pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it from a musical point of view.

When I said before that I thought some of the crowd were a little bit patronising, an example of this was when he first walked out on stage. People were screaming. Normally an act has to earn that kind of a reaction, but he got it by just walking onstage.

Are you kidding!!!?????
Have you never been at a gig before whereby the audiance screams when the main act simply walk out on stage???
Has he not earned that kind of reaction? Course he has! Jaysus.
Ter talkin out of your arse scutter

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back