It's got a CD player player player player player... (1 Viewer)

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
I'm looking to buy some separates for my hifi - I've got a decent amp and vinylS record player but would like to add a CD player to it. Anyone have any recommendations for shops or models? I'm not looking for anything high end - just something reliable.

TRY IT NOW
That's awesome to hear about your Marantz or Sansui player! Both brands have a reputation for creating reliable and high-quality audio equipment, so it's great to see that your device is holding up well since the 90s.

If you ever need advice on maintenance or possibly upgrading components for an even better audio experience, feel free to post here. There might be compatible parts available that can enhance the longevity and performance of your player. But if it's delivering the audio quality you're happy with, then it's all good!

Enjoy your music!

That's awesome to hear about your Marantz or Sansui player! Both brands have a reputation for creating reliable and high-quality audio equipment, so it's great to see that your device is holding up well since the 90s.

If you ever need advice on maintenance or possibly upgrading components for an even better audio experience, feel free to post here. There might be compatible parts available that can enhance the longevity and performance of your player. But if it's delivering the audio quality you're happy with, then it's all good!

Enjoy your music!

I'm looking to buy some separates for my hifi - I've got a decent amp and vinylS record player but would like to add a CD player to it. Anyone have any recommendations for shops or models? I'm not looking for anything high end - just something reliable.

It's really great to see more people investing in their home audio setups!

As for a CD player, you would likely want something that fits well with your current setup and delivers good audio quality. Staying within the Marantz or Sansui brand could be beneficial as these brands are known for their reliable products, especially if you like the sound signature of your current equipment.

You might want to consider the Marantz CD5005 or the Marantz CD6006. They are both excellent CD players that incorporate Marantz's signature sound quality and are highly regarded for their reliability and performance.

Alternatively, the Denon DCD 600NE is another great option to consider. It features a high-quality D/A converter for accurate audio reproduction and has a user-friendly interface.

For second-hand purchases, you could look at platforms like eBay, Reverb, or Gumtree. Do check reviews and seller ratings before purchase, though.

And for new purchases, you have options like Richer Sounds, John Lewis, or HiFi Hut which often have deals and sales ongoing.

Don't rush your purchase, take your time to research and compare, potentially listen to some models in-store if possible, and you should be able to find a great addition to your HiFi setup. Enjoy your sound-hunting process!

Disappointment guaranteed.
I understand your concern. While Marantz is known for a somewhat brighter sound compared to other brands, for many it's a part of their signature audio character that they have come to love. Of course, audio is a very subjective matter and nuances can often boil down to a matter of personal preference.

It's always worth considering other brands if you're considering a new CD player. For example, if you're after a warmer, less bright sound, you might want to look into something like the Denon DCD-800NE or Cambridge Audio's CXC.

To avoid any disappointment it would be ideal if you could listen to a few different models at a local audio store or at a friend's house if possible. Also, keep in mind that your amp, speakers, and even the room you're listening in can greatly impact the sound, so what one person may find tiring to listen to, you may find enjoyable.

Ultimately, a properly balanced audio setup that catifies the kind of sound you enjoy is key.

Looks like Marantz is a clear winner. I was looking at what’s available second hand and there were a few there. Not as cheap as I’d like but will keep my eyes peeled.

Will look at cheap DVD players too actually, could be a good stopgap (or permanent solution if it works in the setup).

I bought a TEAC CD player for 35 euro + 15 postage off eBay from an Irish seller early this year.
Works well, no problems.

However there was almost nothing else available on eBay at the time from Ireland.
But lots of good used electronic gear available cheaply from abroad.

Also got an early 2000's Pioneer double cassette deck on eBay for 60-70 euro from UK pre EU duty charges. It was as new condition.

I understand your concern. While Marantz is known for a somewhat brighter sound compared to other brands, for many it's a part of their signature audio character that they have come to love. Of course, audio is a very subjective matter and nuances can often boil down to a matter of personal preference.

It's always worth considering other brands if you're considering a new CD player. For example, if you're after a warmer, less bright sound, you might want to look into something like the Denon DCD-800NE or Cambridge Audio's CXC.

To avoid any disappointment it would be ideal if you could listen to a few different models at a local audio store or at a friend's house if possible. Also, keep in mind that your amp, speakers, and even the room you're listening in can greatly impact the sound, so what one person may find tiring to listen to, you may find enjoyable.

Ultimately, a properly balanced audio setup that catifies the kind of sound you enjoy is key.
I'm reluctant to talk to you given your history of blanking me... but tell me more about audio catification

I'm reluctant to talk to you given your history of blanking me... but tell me more about audio catification
I apologize for the oversight, "catifies" appears to be a typo. I presume it was meant to read as "caters".

In terms of audio, "caters" refers to an audio setup that is geared towards creating the kind of sonic experience you enjoy. This often includes research to find the right combination of equipment (like CD players, speakers, receivers, etc.) which pairs well together and creates the kind of audio signature that you prefer, whether that be a warm, bright, detailed, or any manner of sound.

For instance, some people prefer a bass-heavy sound, while others lean towards a more balanced or even treble-focused output, so the audio equipment they would be catered towards would be different.

It's personalized to your specific preferences, ensuring you get the most enjoyment out of your listening experience based on your preferences. Again, sorry for the confusion caused by the typo!

Enjoy your music!
how does Steely Dan sound on these systems?

how does Steely Dan sound on these systems?
Steely Dan should sound superb on these systems! Their extensive use of studio technology and high standard of production will play well with the depth and clarity of sound that both Marantz and Sansui systems offer.

The complex and meticulous sound of Steely Dan with their smooth jazz-influenced rock and impressive harmonies would truly shine. You can expect clean and clear midranges and a neat balance in the highs and lows allowing you to hear subtle nuances of their often-cited 'perfect' production.

In particular, the dynamic range and complex rhythm sections of their tracks from albums like "Aja" or "Gaucho" would be a delight to listen on such high-quality systems.

Of course, always remember that the sound is subjectively perceived and largely depends on personal preference, the quality of the recording, and the acoustics of the room. Enjoy exploring their discography with your setup!

Steely Dan should sound superb on these systems! Their extensive use of studio technology and high standard of production will play well with the depth and clarity of sound that both Marantz and Sansui systems offer.

The complex and meticulous sound of Steely Dan with their smooth jazz-influenced rock and impressive harmonies would truly shine. You can expect clean and clear midranges and a neat balance in the highs and lows allowing you to hear subtle nuances of their often-cited 'perfect' production.

In particular, the dynamic range and complex rhythm sections of their tracks from albums like "Aja" or "Gaucho" would be a delight to listen on such high-quality systems.

Of course, always remember that the sound is subjectively perceived and largely depends on personal preference, the quality of the recording, and the acoustics of the room. Enjoy exploring their discography with your setup!
FYI @Cornu Ammonis

Thanks for votre tête up! It sounds like @Cornu Ammonis may be interested in this discussion or has relevant insights to share. If anyone has specific questions or if there's more information that could be useful to you, Cornu Ammonis, or anyone else, please don't hesitate to let us know! This forum is all about sharing knowledge and helping each other out.

I reckon we should relaunch thumped album club and redo Gaucho with @GPThumped on board. Are you up for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back