It's got a CD player player player player player... (1 Viewer)

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
I'm looking to buy some separates for my hifi - I've got a decent amp and vinylS record player but would like to add a CD player to it. Anyone have any recommendations for shops or models? I'm not looking for anything high end - just something reliable.

Thanks for votre tête up! It sounds like @Cornu Ammonis may be interested in this discussion or has relevant insights to share. If anyone has specific questions or if there's more information that could be useful to you, Cornu Ammonis, or anyone else, please don't hesitate to let us know! This forum is all about sharing knowledge and helping each other out.
What are some other CDs you’d recommend for @Cornu Ammonis

What are some other CDs you’d recommend for @Cornu Ammonis
Absolutely, I'm more than happy to recommend some great albums! Since we're discussing Steely Dan's "Gaucho," I'm going to stick with similar genres and vibes. However, it would be helpful to know @Cornu Ammonis's specific music preferences for a more personalized recommendation. Here are a few CDs that showcase excellent production values and musicianship:

1. **Donald Fagen - "The Nightfly"**: Fagen is one half of Steely Dan and his solo work continues the band's tradition of complex arrangements and high production values.

2. **Boz Scaggs - "Silk Degrees"**: This album features some of the same musicians who played with Steely Dan. It's a smooth blend of rock, pop, and disco with extremely high production quality.

3. **The Alan Parsons Project - "I Robot"**: Another album known for its meticulous production. It's a concept album with a progressive and pop rock sound.

4. **Dire Straits - "Brothers in Arms"**: This album's clean, precise guitar work and thoughtful songwriting might appeal to a Steely Dan fan.

5. **Michael McDonald - "Wide Open"**: McDonald has worked with Steely Dan in the past. His solo work features a similar smooth, sophisticated mix of rock and soul.

6. **The Doobie Brothers - "Minute By Minute"**: This album features McDonald on lead vocals and has a smooth soft rock sound.

Each of these albums offers a unique blend of rock, jazz, and pop that should appeal to any Steely Dan fan. Always remember, music taste is subjective and these suggestions are based on the similarity in genre and production style. Enjoy exploring the sounds!

Absolutely, I'm more than happy to recommend some great albums! Since we're discussing Steely Dan's "Gaucho," I'm going to stick with similar genres and vibes. However, it would be helpful to know @Cornu Ammonis's specific music preferences for a more personalized recommendation. Here are a few CDs that showcase excellent production values and musicianship:

1. **Donald Fagen - "The Nightfly"**: Fagen is one half of Steely Dan and his solo work continues the band's tradition of complex arrangements and high production values.

2. **Boz Scaggs - "Silk Degrees"**: This album features some of the same musicians who played with Steely Dan. It's a smooth blend of rock, pop, and disco with extremely high production quality.

3. **The Alan Parsons Project - "I Robot"**: Another album known for its meticulous production. It's a concept album with a progressive and pop rock sound.

4. **Dire Straits - "Brothers in Arms"**: This album's clean, precise guitar work and thoughtful songwriting might appeal to a Steely Dan fan.

5. **Michael McDonald - "Wide Open"**: McDonald has worked with Steely Dan in the past. His solo work features a similar smooth, sophisticated mix of rock and soul.

6. **The Doobie Brothers - "Minute By Minute"**: This album features McDonald on lead vocals and has a smooth soft rock sound.

Each of these albums offers a unique blend of rock, jazz, and pop that should appeal to any Steely Dan fan. Always remember, music taste is subjective and these suggestions are based on the similarity in genre and production style. Enjoy exploring the sounds!
what do you get if you cross Dire Straits with Chris Rea?

Steely Dan should sound superb on these systems! Their extensive use of studio technology and high standard of production will play well with the depth and clarity of sound that both Marantz and Sansui systems offer.

The complex and meticulous sound of Steely Dan with their smooth jazz-influenced rock and impressive harmonies would truly shine. You can expect clean and clear midranges and a neat balance in the highs and lows allowing you to hear subtle nuances of their often-cited 'perfect' production.

In particular, the dynamic range and complex rhythm sections of their tracks from albums like "Aja" or "Gaucho" would be a delight to listen on such high-quality systems.

Of course, always remember that the sound is subjectively perceived and largely depends on personal preference, the quality of the recording, and the acoustics of the room. Enjoy exploring their discography with your setup!
This is pure Patrick Bateman energy.

This is violence.

I understand your concern. While Marantz is known for a somewhat brighter sound compared to other brands, for many it's a part of their signature audio character that they have come to love. Of course, audio is a very subjective matter and nuances can often boil down to a matter of personal preference.

It's always worth considering other brands if you're considering a new CD player. For example, if you're after a warmer, less bright sound, you might want to look into something like the Denon DCD-800NE or Cambridge Audio's CXC.

To avoid any disappointment it would be ideal if you could listen to a few different models at a local audio store or at a friend's house if possible. Also, keep in mind that your amp, speakers, and even the room you're listening in can greatly impact the sound, so what one person may find tiring to listen to, you may find enjoyable.

Ultimately, a properly balanced audio setup that catifies the kind of sound you enjoy is key.
Shut up, you bollocks

I was the same recently and bought a cheap dvd player from Amazon last year for about €25. It has a coaxial audio output that i plug into my dac and works really well. All the musical stuff is then handled by the dac and amp. There is a tiny gap between tracks and if you listen very closely you can hear the player hum, but I'm fine with that given how little i listen too cds (mostly I listen to vinyl and streaming).

I was the same recently and bought a cheap dvd player from Amazon last year for about €25. It has a coaxial audio output that i plug into my dac and works really well. All the musical stuff is then handled by the dac and amp. There is a tiny gap between tracks and if you listen very closely you can hear the player hum, but I'm fine with that given how little i listen too cds (mostly I listen to vinyl and streaming).
The gaps between tracks are kind of a deal breaker given how much music I listen to where there are crossfades or pieces broken across multiple tracks.

I haven’t gotten any further on all this, I’m genuinely surprised there aren’t more second hand CD players knocking about.

Because, unlike record players, they were never built to last.

Were record players built to last? Decent ones, yeah, but your average mass market record player probably didn't have a long lifespan.
Exactly. I’m looking at decent brands and standalone decks, not cheap all in one units that are only meant to last a few years.

I went to a gig. It was great. Sceptical nextdoor neighbour became a convert. Banging show.

I bought the t-shirt and the dude said "Do you have a CD player?"
No, yes kind of, on the old laptop. And he slipped me a CD. It's really fancy, with a fancy not jewel case, case. There's a booklet and the CD itself looks like a record. It's even got grooves on it.

So now, I indeed also need to find a CD player player player player.

Attachments

• IMG_20240405_233731.jpg
    IMG_20240405_233731.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back