Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album (1996) (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
3.53 star(s) Rating: 3.53/5 15 Votes
Title: Richard D. James Album
Artist: Aphex Twin
Released: 1996

Tracks:
1 - 4 - 3:37
2 - Cornish Acid - 2:14
3 - Peek 824545201 - 3:05
4 - Fingerbib - 3:48
5 - Carn Marth - 2:33
6 - To Cure a Weakling Child - 4:03
7 - Goon Gumpas - 2:02
8 - Yellow Calx - 3:04
9 - Girl/Boy Song - 4:52
10 - Logan Rock Witch - 3:33

Overview:
Richard D. James Album is an electronic album by Aphex Twin, whose real name is Richard David James. It was released on Warp Records in 1996. The work features use of software synthesizers and unusual beats. It is his fourth official full-length album. The album garnered high acclaim from music critics, and was named 40th in Pitchfork Media's "Top 100 Albums of the 1990s" list. It was also placed #55 on NME's Top 100 Albums of All Time in 2003.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Even though I've never heard this I'm feeling super meh about it straight out the gate..I hope I'm proved wrong

Listening to the first track playing through a phone speaker at full volume while holding it is kind of unpleasant - like one of those joke electric shock fruit machine yokes.

agree with @travispickle. I love the Selected Ambient works stuff. I'd go as far to say that '85-92' is one of my favourite albums ever and is the album that got me into ambient music. I didn't put it on my list though.

Haven't heard this one before. Listened once this morning. I'd be less a fan of the bleep, video-game soundtrack type stuff he does. This sounds closer to his 2 most recent releases, Syro and the subsequent EP (who's name escapes me). I couldn't really get into either of those.

This will be an interesting week. It'll be tough to pick this apart and I can see a good few people abandoning it.

I'm up for it though.

First 'Irish' album on the list too. In the spirit of the sense of national pride we're all feeling in this 1916 centenary year, I reckon we have an obligation to spend some time with this. Its what Pearse, Connolly, etc, would have wanted!

It's a great album but haven't listened to it in a long time- looking forward to diving back in. Tend to only listen to SAW II and the Analord stuff these days, oh and the recent Soundlcoud dump he did of 100s of tracks many of which are AMAZING.

For me it veers a bit too much towards the drumcrazed noodling that reached its peak on Drukqz, which is technically impressive but feels a bit too complex for its own sake. Although still has plenty of echoes of the earlier melodic ambient work (with the odd punctation of breakbeat/hardcore/techno rythm a la Didgeridoo and Polygon Window).

Here we go...

agree with @travispickle. I love the Selected Ambient works stuff. I'd go as far to say that '85-92' is one of my favourite albums ever and is the album that got me into ambient music. I didn't put it on my list though.

Haven't heard this one before. Listened once this morning. I'd be less a fan of the bleep, video-game soundtrack type stuff he does. This sounds closer to his 2 most recent releases, Syro and the subsequent EP (who's name escapes me). I couldn't really get into either of those.

This will be an interesting week. It'll be tough to pick this apart and I can see a good few people abandoning it.

I'm up for it though.

First 'Irish' album on the list too. In the spirit of the sense of national pride we're all feeling in this 1916 centenary year, I reckon we have an obligation to spend some time with this. Its what Pearse, Connolly, etc, would have wanted!
Is he Irish? didn't know that.
Yep same here, I loved the Selected Ambient Works lp and his Polygon Window Surfing on Sine Waves album, but no idea what to expect here. Should be fun!!

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back