Anyone not at Daniel Johnston? (1 Viewer)

I didn't think the audience were patronising at all. They were warm and supportive and made himself feel at ease (or so it seemed to me). I'm not sure how ye think an audiene should behave under the circumstances?

well, i absolutely loved the first half... it was brilliant... something about him and his songs that mesmerizes you...

anyone help me out with the last song he played in that set - the one that got plenty of laughs about a girl thinking he was a pain and crawling inside the casket at the temple and looking out for number one and stabbing your brother in the back?... thanks

enjoyed the second half less... walking the cow was good but a band just muddies his impact... on his own, the songs pierce your heart... this is nothing against the three lads, just the setup for his music...

...seem to be flying in the face of popular opinion too...

I didn't think the audience were patronising at all. They were warm and supportive and made himself feel at ease (or so it seemed to me). I'm not sure how ye think an audiene should behave under the circumstances?

I thought the crowd in general was grand but there were a few pricks there who, to me, were shouting comments that were the equivalent of patting him on the head and going "great job little buddy", the guy's probably either severly bipolar or a paranoid schizophrenic, not a moron. I thought when he said "we love you too" was really funny.

Anyway, I really liked the gig, was in the second row so I got a real up close look at him and at times he's really difficult to watch with the twitching and the chewing of lips and whatever but at the same time the songs are so good and the performance so raw that it's also really beautiful. I found the whole experience quite emotionally draining.

I preferred the quieter stuff too, the lads were really good and all, no criticism of them at all but aside from walking the cow I don't think the songs were as good.

What was with the Nazi salutes?

That was hilarious!
I was in the seat right in front of him, he charged out giggling. Roared "Heil Hitler" and off the mike you could hear him giggling like a schoolboy.

At times I was really tempted to shout "Spit on me Danny!"

anyone help me out with the last song he played in that set - the one that got plenty of laughs about a girl thinking he was a pain and crawling inside the casket at the temple and looking out for number one and stabbing your brother in the back?... thanks

It's a song off Songs of Pain. I'll check later and tell you the name.

Does anyone know what the joke that got him in toruble previously was?

Apparently...

Did you hear the jews are having a pyjama party... In a concentration camp

Which, coupled with the Heil Hitler (which also seems to be a staple of his set) leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Great gig though other than that part.

A guy i know, who shall remain nameless, once suggested that kids with ADHD could attend a summer school to improve their attention span and it could be called 'concentration camp'.

It really surpassed my expectations this gig did. I liked the 3 different sections and whatever you say about the band distracting from the song Daniel Johnston really seemed to enjoy singing with the band. True love will find you in the end had been rattling around my head for weeks and i was chuffed he played it.

Any recommendations for a first album purchase?

i guess one of his first 3 solo albums if you want the early lo-fi cassette stuff... or 1990 if you want mid-period stuff... or rejected unknown if you want late period stuff...

i'm no expert though by any means...

the best-of compilation is pretty good if you're that way inclined...

i guess one of his first 3 solo albums if you want the early lo-fi cassette stuff... or 1990 if you want mid-period stuff... or rejected unknown if you want late period stuff...

i'm no expert though by any means...

the best-of compilation is pretty good if you're that way inclined...

Cheers Palace, I had a quick read around and it said pretty much the same as you. Might swallow my pride and go for a best of so. Just to test the waters. :eek: Don't hate me

The second CD of Discovered Covered is a deadly compilation also.
CD1 is covers... Which is all right too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back