What did your Grandfather do for a living? (1 Viewer)

Both died before i was born:
*one was the local miller in Rathangen, before that something in Youghal
*the other was the station master in Clonmel, which at some periodhe used to assist the IRA in gun-running on the Cork-Dublin train

...had to be a 'RA connection in there somewhere!

no ra connection here but my great grandfather was an Army lieutenant during the civil war,
and was wounded in an amphibious landing in Cork
dont think he every really recovered from it

My other grandad was an upholsterer from Belfast, he moved south as he was on the run but didnt want to leave Ireland and ran a safe house until the early 60s.
I forgot that that Grandad won the Irish Sweepstakes and sold his stake to Paddy Power, and he worked on the titanic when he was 7 laying carpets.

I think I may have become a grandad since Thumped went down....

Haha.Fair fucks to him...I'd do the exact same thing same..only instead of holidays it'd be beer..and instead of jewelry it'd be hash...and instead of it being Finglas it'd be somewhere where kids have tyres on the back wheel of their bikes...well it'd be similar

By the by, the National Archives have released the 1901/1911 censuses this week.
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/

none of my grandparents are on it because of being born in the 1920's
my father's father's father first family name was transcribed wrong on the 1901. the two great grandfathers i found in 1911 were one being a farmer and another being an agricultural labourer (!!!) while another would have been a scholar at the time and the 4th i'm unsure about

Grandad in Ireland was a School Principal and like all country schools taught pretty much everything! His brothers were the ones caught up in shooting people and the like....

Grandad in Scotland a variety of jobs (as was the way). The most solid one I remember them talking about was working down the coal mines. We also worked for The Man from Del Monte. He ensured that he could only say yes.

paternal grandfather was a carpenter. Paternal great-grandfather did his stint baiting the black and tans. Mostly the family on that side were farmers. Also, there was typically an age gap of 25-30 years between the men and their wives, which is a family tradition I wouldn't mind upholding (when someone 25-30 years younger than me is legal of course).
maternal grandfather was a coal miner. All my mother's people were coal miners as that was the main source of jobs in the village where she hails from.

Can't find my maternal grandfather on that census, as they were living in west Cork then. I don't know the name of the townland there, and searching through all the McCarthy's in Cork would take more time than I have left in my life.

paternal grandfather was a carpenter. Paternal great-grandfather did his stint baiting the black and tans. Mostly the family on that side were farmers. Also, there was typically an age gap of 25-30 years between the men and their wives, which is a family tradition I wouldn't mind upholding (when someone 25-30 years younger than me is legal of course).
maternal grandfather was a coal miner. All my mother's people were coal miners as that was the main source of jobs in the village where she hails from.

I can tell you right now that all your ancestors are disgusted at your attitude towards chocolate digestives

Not to talk out of turn, but a certain fellow Thupdedster, who rarely posts here anymore's grandad, directed one of my favorite films:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My mum's dad owned a corner shop in Cork, but apparently he was in the fire brigade up North years before that. And his dad was in the army apparently, but according to the census was a tailor and a journeyman when he was younger. My dad's dad was a carpenter I think, but possibly did a few things.

My grandparents and great-grandparents were all farmers (except for one great-grandmother who was a nurse). More excitingly, I found out via the internetz that my great-great grandfather had licenses for 8 dogs in 1870.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back