What did your Grandfather do for a living? (1 Viewer)

Lili Marlene

-
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
I am interested in this topic.

One of mine was a farmer and then a policeman and the other was a Cooper and i'm kind of sad that it's a skill that has died out in my family. What did yours do?

ps I realise that thumped has no feminists anymore but I'm saving my grandmothers interesting life for some other thread

One was a coal man and the other I think was a soldier. I'd imagine the coal man granda delivered coal to a good few thumped folk back in the day.

My grandfathers, oddly enough both died on the same day, seven years before my parents met, so I never knew either of them. One was a soldier (too!) and the other was an upholsterer.

One was lifelong farmer and the other from what I can recall was a potato delivery man up until fairly recently (Well, I have memories of going on a round with him before but that's like 15 years ago or more at this stage). I'm not sure if he was anything before though.

one became a guard after spending his youth shooting tans and what have you, his wife was a house wife/ mother. the other grandad was a farmer/post-office keeper/shopkeeper/B&B keeper, his wife did a bit of all of them and was also a Bee Keeper.

One of my grandfathers, born 1889, was a farmer all his working life. He died in 1984 I think. I have one vague memory of him.
My other grandfather, born 1899, was in the IRA (not sure if that's a job), then became a cattle dealer, that fell through in the '50s and in later life he was a labourer in England.

No idea who one was and the other was a stevedore(and from what I ever saw a professional pigeon fancier).

But Gambra has got to have the best grandad..A POTATO MAN!Respect!

only know titbits about both. one had the same name as me, was a major figure in irish motor racing in the 30's-50's, won the Cork grand prix, and published a cool book.
my other grandfather emigrated to the states for a couple of decades as a young man and was supposedly a beat cop in Chicago. Must find out more.

One grandfather built fireplaces. He made the one one in my parents house when we first moved in, he died about 5 years later. A few years ago my mam and dad were redecorating and decided to take out the one he made and put in a new one, it was only then that they found out he'd written all our names and the date on the back of it while the cement was wet. My dad couldn't throw it out so used it as a pavement slab so he can see it ever day when he goes down to the shed.

My other grandad was an upholsterer from Belfast, he moved south as he was on the run but didnt want to leave Ireland and ran a safe house until the early 60s.

Grandpa S. was a Jewelry shop owner/watch repair man. Also a .22 pistol marksman who designed the LAPD firing range in Echo Park, CA. Shot three times in his career, once in the head. He was also Bob's Big Boy's first employee in Eagle Rock, CA. Said the the double cheese burger was his idea. His wife, my Gandma, was a house-wife that baked the best apple pie I ever tasted.

Grandpa H. was a mechanic/artist/pilot. Was once a stunt double for Ward Bond in 'Devil Dogs of the Air'. Was a mechanic for Warner Brother Pictures, building stunt cars. Rumour has it, he invented the car radio, for Clark Gable's limo. He later went on to owning a Texaco station before the war. During the war, he worked for Lockheed Martin, on the design team for the P-38 fighter. After retirement, he spent time restoring classic cars and building Luscombe Silvares, from salvged crashes in his back Garden. He also used to sculpture pieces of art from bit's and pieces left over from cars and airplanes. His wife, Grandma, spent time drinking wine, shooting insulin, playing classical piano, meditating, astral projecting and being a cosmic well-wisher to all.

Granddad on Maternal side was a guard(one of the first) and later, a river/fisheries patrol man. On paternal side, he did metal coating/polishing.

My Grandfather on my Dad's side (1895/6?-1964) was a National School teacher.
My other Grandfather (1921-2006) was a baker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back