What did your Grandfather do for a living? (5 Viewers)

Me Ma's Da was a bus driver, claimed he could lift a large rock out of the bed of a lake & hold it over his head what with all the practice he had lifting chests onto the roof of the bus.

Me Da's Da was a carpenter & his best work is sadly on the bottom of the ocean in the Titanic.

cut to the future -

What did your grandad do?

Worked a job he hated & spent most of his working day bitching about it on the internet.

Whats the internet?

da's dad - (1890s-1960s)school principal and vaugely involved in the IRA during the troubles(wasnt everyone?) - dont know that much about his early life except his bro was a mountie. in his 50s he married a 20 year old (as you did back then) and the raz ine began.
ma's dad - (1916-present) carpenter/cabinet maker, made TNT during the WWII, and was involved on the building site at windscale (later seafield). he also invented a prefab type house kit in the 30s-40s, which he basically didnt have the business sense to market. worked in a wollen mill where he ocasionally made looms, but generally seems to have been employed to make scenery and props for the factory christmas panto. eventually went into business for himself totally in the 70's and was still working into the early 90s.

My da's da was a bus driver. Like everyone else's granddad, he was in the IRA in the early 20s. Chief Engineer for North Dublin, Meath and Louth. That entailed sabotage, mostly.
He was then a committed Fianna Fail man, on the Ard Chomhairle at some stage, brought my dad around on the back of trucks with Lemass et al for elections. The good thing he did was hit a priest with a stick in a church during mass in the fifties. 100% true. He also died in the fifties.

My ma's da worked in a printers, drank a hell of a lot, produced a large family of singers, bon-vivants and footballers, died in 1985.

The good thing he did was hit a priest with a stick in a church during mass in the fifties. 100% true. He also died in the fifties.

I love the way that story makes a point of remembering that a stick was used; he didn't just hit him, he hit him with a stick!

Both my grandfathers are still alive although one was has been drinking himself into a coma every day for at least 15 years now, sad end to a life.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My da's da was a bus driver. Like everyone else's granddad, he was in the IRA in the early 20s. Chief Engineer for North Dublin, Meath and Louth. That entailed sabotage, mostly.

I was going to come in and ask before I saw that, does everyone have at least one grandfather that was in the 'RA in the 1910's/20's. I never knew him but in later life my maternal grandfather was quite dismissive of his activities during that period, "just a load of stupid young fellas playing soldiers" or something to that effect. He also told his kids that when he died if anyone came with a flag to put on his coffin to rip it off the casket right away.

I remember now actually my grandad was briefly in the RAF during world war two.He was a mechanic or something in a base in England..he got injured after cycling into a tree pissed out of his face and got discharged with a full pension till the day he died!!

one was a labourer / carpenter who spent a lot of his working life in scotland and died relatively young leaving my gran with 7 wanes (oldest a teen) in the sixties, the other was a labourer / farmer who lived into the eighties and played the saw.

my sarcastic answer was going to be mine were the same guy, oh how times have changed.

My Nordie Grandad was a builder all his life, lost the sight in one eye in his 50's due to a detached retina (from use of jackhammers) and kept working well into his 70s. Sadly he died when I was only 2 so I don't remember him much.

Southern Grampa was a farmer/fisherman/woodturner and general jack of all trades. He retired from farming in his to move to the west where he and my gran ran a guest house and fishing school. And in the off season he made their pocket money turning wooden buttons for aran cardies, making chairs, stools, shelves, rocking horses, pretty much anything that could be made out of wood. When he was 75 they retired (again) to go and live on a barge. The day he had the stroke (at 85) that finished him off he'd been busy putting new handles on some of his garden tools and was just about to go and mow the lawn. Actually, I think it was the boredom in hospital that really killed him.

the other was a Cooper and i'm kind of sad that it's a skill that has died out in my family.
a friend of my dad's was a trained cooper - he also was a spinning wheel maker, and each of his sons went through his workshop, and thankfully one of them has kept it up.

Most people's grandads...

rick1_head.jpg

"Me father was a coo-oo-ooper,forced out by redundanceeeeeeee"

I remember now actually my grandad was briefly in the RAF during world war two.

Same with mine, RAF pilot during World War II (flying supply planes around the Burma \ South East Asia region I think) and then recruited by Aer Lingus after the war, flew with them til 1980. My other grandad was a banker.

I never knew either.

My mother's father worked in a hammer factory (I think) and was an alcoholic. He left my grandmother and lived in a boarding house across town. He went home one night drunk and apparently fell asleep in bed with a cigarette. Burned the place down with him in it. His brother went missing (having lots of gambling debts) and was never found. I have a photo of both of them when they were about 10-12 on my mantle. They look so innocent and cute.

My dad's father never married my grandmother (although my grandmother still gave my dad his name) and didn't stick around long. I suppose he was drifter doing lots of odd jobs. Died in Oregon well before I was born. Recently my parents took a trip to West Virgina and were doing a historical tour of the coal mines. There were photogrpahs of all the teams throughout the years. My mother spotted a man in one of the photos and they are convinced it's my grandfather. The timing (early 50's) is about right too... not long after he left. Who knows what he did traveling from New York to Oregon. I only have one photo of him leaning up against a car smoking a cigarette. He looks just like my dad did at that age in photographs.

My Irish Grandfather was a salesman who sold 'anything and everything, mainly leather' - my Mum's words. He died young from being a massive alcoholic, never met him.

My Dutch Grandfather was a Compositor (kinda like a typesetter) at a newspaper in Rotterdam. During the war they hid Jews in the huge rolls of paper and he forged papers for them. Good dude. Met him once before he died, he was giving out to a three-legged cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back