What did your Grandfather do for a living? (2 Viewers)

a friend of my dad's was a trained cooper - he also was a spinning wheel maker, and each of his sons went through his workshop, and thankfully one of them has kept it up.

hmm, summary of the minutes from the Dublin Coopers Guild's final meeting where they voted it out of existence.

http://www.irishwhiskeynotes.com/2007/11/dublin-coopers-guild-final-meeting.html

I see my grandfather's name there, in fact it appears to be him who put forward the motion to dissolve, or at least a formal request for the ballot. These things are hard to read.

1501-1983, I have no idea how far back my family were coopers though, at least as far as my great-great grandfather anyway. Apparently they used to go to work in a suit

my da's da was a storeman for the council till he retired,then my da took that job.my ma's father was amongst other things a security guard,builder,dredger and a grave digger.theres a few pics of him and his da down in the maritime museum working away on the dredges,must go down and have a look at em.doubt either of them were in the 'ra either.

I thought everyone's grandad was a farmer. Mine both were. One of them was a bit of a local bigshot too, had the biggest funeral I ever saw.

After the second vatican council the parish priest asked him if he'd do readings at Mass - he said he'd read the gospel or nothing

my non-cooper grandfather who came from a farming family has a story about how he had to get a paid job because the government forced his parents to start using money.

I'll have to ask him the full story

all our grandparents are way more awesomer than us

most of our grandparents would have lived through pretty interesting times. my dads dad was born in the 1890s so he had the easter rising, war of independence, civil war, first world war, second world war, blueshirts, electrification, tv, the troubles and stuff, all on the doorstep. my mams dad was born in 1910 and even by then there was a fair bit of mental stuff left. the action is a bit more distant now, for most people at least. now its all "oh no, habitat has closed down" or "i was banned from boards.ie".

most of our grandparents would have lived through pretty interesting times. my dads dad was born in the 1890s so he had the easter rising, war of independence, civil war, first world war, second world war, blueshirts, electrification, tv, the troubles and stuff, all on the doorstep. my mams dad was born in 1910 and even by then there was a fair bit of mental stuff left. the action is a bit more distant now, for most people at least. now its all "oh no, habitat has closed down" or "i was banned from boards.ie".

all we had was the birth of the internet, wireless information, the turn of a millenium, one of the coldest periods even in recorded history, the disastrous re/de development of the entire country, a proper recession and hopefully a depression, shit like the rachel corrie, adams and paisley in the same office without voiceovers, a huge influx of new residents, the mccarhty report, the ryan report.... ah... i mean what isnt history these days?

all we had was the birth of the internet, wireless information, the turn of a millenium, one of the coldest periods even in recorded history, the disastrous re/de development of the entire country, a proper recession and hopefully a depression, shit like the rachel corrie, adams and paisley in the same office without voiceovers, a huge influx of new residents, the mccarhty report, the ryan report.... ah... i mean what isnt history these days?

yeah, there interesting times alright but i dont know if they'd make a man out of you like world wars, and wars of independence and rebellions and stuff.

yeah, there interesting times alright but i dont know if they'd make a man out of you like world wars, and wars of independence and rebellions and stuff.

an emergency would.

Scene_8_Ralph_Waite_Credit.jpg

or your just confusting what makes a man with what happened to the men you grew up with when they were your age.

i do think that people who lived through the first half of the last century lived through crazier times than those that have passed since then. i know thats relative and down to where you live to a certain degree but still. and i was only really messing about the manning up process. i reckon you get a bit more perspective on things from what goes on around you even if it doesnt make you a better person or more manly man. im way out of my depth here.

its only been ten years and 6 months, it might pick up.

aye 1900-1910 was pretty calm in western europe (few distant wars, like the boer one notwithstanding), empires gradually on the wane (turkey, russia, austro-hungary), and one the wax (us, japan, germany)

I reckon the next 20 years will bring us at least as much hard core political turmoil as 1910-1930. global warming aside, peak oil is gonna fuck over our cosy little lives...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back