What did your Grandfather do for a living? (3 Viewers)

Paternal grandfather had some sort of white-collar job. Insurance or something. Maternal grandfather (and grandmother) worked for a terracotta manufacturer. A clay pipe fell on Grandad's back, breaking it when he was 19. He got about £100 compensation (it would have been more had he not been a minor) and got out of active service during the war. He manned searchlights somewhere in the English midlands. He's 94 this August. His father was a miner and made fireworks as a hobby (which led to him losing a hand). Nan's father was a man of mystery - also a miner, he claimed to go to Canada for work yet there is no record of him in any passenger manifest. His missus had a baby while he was away. He didn't seem to mind and they had a few more kids when he got back from wherever he'd been (prison, I'm guessing).

Da's da ran a bicycle shop on Parliament Street, Ma's da was a stock-checker in the warehouses at the Dublin docks.

I'd already been drinking in the Stag's Head on Dame Lane for about 10 years when my dad told me my grandad went for a pint there every day after work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back