The Worst Thing About Dublin (4 Viewers)

- Those homeless people who scrawl out a HUGE poem of crap on the street. Usually seen by the Molly Malone. Play with your chalk elsewhere.

(Sorry homeless people).

Aye, that end of Abbey Street by the Luas stop beside the Euro World is an alcho haven. and funnily enough there's real travellers usually begging right across the street by the church. I always feel the knackers do a dis-service to themselves in their begging style, it's more of a wail 'pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeassse, chaaaaaaaaaaaange', a small little placard would be fine (including their myspace/twitter if they have one setup.)

I worst thing I can think of which is unique to Dublin is the location of the gents toilets on the third floor in Arnotts.

If we're allowed to give out about bad things that exist elsewhere also, then I want to complain about alpine speed bumps that scrape the exhaust from a chap's Saab 900 turbo.

Speaking of poems, but not speaking of Dublin, but definitely speaking of things I can't stand: when will advertisers, broadcasters and sporting bodies stop using Rudyard Kipling's If to emphasise the heroic quality of their products at every possible opportunity?

Speaking of poems, but not speaking of Dublin, but definitely speaking of things I can't stand: when will advertisers, broadcasters and sporting bodies stop using Rudyard Kipling's If to emphasise the heroic quality of their products at every possible opportunity?

GAA and rugby are the worst offenders on this front, as usual when it comes to macho ostentation.

The poetic equivilant of a Sigur Ros tune is there any sporting event that can't be advertised by some whining icelandic gibberish?

Yeah, wanting tall buildings is very third world.
Snap out of it, disgruntled Dubs.

Meh, I don't know.

What I was alluding to was urban sprawl, rubbish public transport and hideous congestion/commute times. You need tall buildings, with lots of people in them, relatively close together in order to justify the sort of decent public transport infrastructure that we all feel we deserve. Usually.
As it stands we have hundreds of 7 or 8 storey buildings between the O2, Kilmainham and the canals, when really I think we'd be better off with a few dozen 20 or 30 storey ones over a smaller area. I think Dublin would work better that way.
I might be wrong though. I'm not even from Dublin.

Meh, I don't know.

What I was alluding to was urban sprawl, rubbish public transport and hideous congestion/commute times. You need tall buildings, with lots of people in them, relatively close together in order to justify the sort of decent public transport infrastructure that we all feel we deserve. Usually.
As it stands we have hundreds of 7 or 8 storey buildings between the O2, Kilmainham and the canals, when really I think we'd be better off with a few dozen 20 or 30 storey ones over a smaller area. I think Dublin would work better that way.
I might be wrong though. I'm not even from Dublin.

Yeah, I know, you're right in terms of urban sprawl. Thing is, you can increase the density by having many, many 3 or 4 storey buildings in the inner suburbs rather than having a few showy high-rises, which are very hard to get right and do change the character of a city (possibly for the better, it would obviously entail doing it well). We've done neither here, which is the worst of all worlds.

why are they idiots?

because they're from D4?
because they're on the bus?
because they're middle class?
because they like rugby?

why restrict it to one post code...

To your average northsider or uncurious countryman, all upper-middle class people come from D4 and all southsiders are at the very least middle class.

Yeah, I know, you're right in terms of urban sprawl. Thing is, you can increase the density by having many, many 3 or 4 storey buildings in the inner suburbs rather than having a few showy high-rises, which are very hard to get right and do change the character of a city (possibly for the better, it would obviously entail doing it well). We've done neither here, which is the worst of all worlds.

Frank McDonald has been talking for years about high density/low rise working for Dublin. Anyone interested in this topic would do well to read the relevant sections in The Construction Of Dublin and Chaos At The Crossroads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back