Restaurant Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Went to Gary Rhodes restaurant on Capel Street last night. There were 15 of us and because we were a group of more than 10, they gave us their large group menu...which was SHITE. Choice of 4 starters and 4 mains (none of which were beef). Anyway we eventually got the a la carte menu which was much better.

I started with a bbq chicken, mango and coriander salad which was gorgeous. Had steak for mains which was lovely - medium rare, cooked perfectly and really tasty. It was served with gorgeous chunky chips and bearnaise sauce. Had a few mouthfulls of toffee pudding then and it was lurvely. If I had been on my own I would have scoffed the whole dessert but I didn't want to be a pig in front of everyone else.

Would defo go back again, but not as part of a large group.
Been to Rhodes a couple of times and have been really impressed by the food. I don't like the look of the place itself or its atmosphere but the food is lovely. I'll definitly be there cagain too

mermaid cafe for the birthday recently. was fantastic.
chickened out of the pigeon and had crabcakes, which were delicious, and the most amazing ribeye angus steak for a main. was stunning.
herself had the anti pasti and scallops, which was equally great, with butternut squash.

the atmosphere and staff in that place are great, so friendly

mermaid cafe for the birthday recently. was fantastic.
chickened out of the pigeon and had crabcakes, which were delicious, and the most amazing ribeye angus steak for a main. was stunning.
herself had the anti pasti and scallops, which was equally great, with butternut squash.

the atmosphere and staff in that place are great, so friendly

We went there the other night with my folks. It's definitely a great spot, but I wasn't too gone on the scallops and butternut squash risotto. The risotto was lovely, but I thought the scallops were a wee bit rubbery. Mr Jane had the ribeye and loved it very, very much. And yeah, the staff are lovely in there.

I had pecan pie for dessert and it was fairly lovely, although I'm not sure it was made by someone who'd eaten enough pecan pie in his or her life to do the kind of troubleshooting such a pie requires.

Bummer that there were two huge groups there, though because, as is always the way, big groups are just that bit louder by nature. Not that we're particularly quiet, of course. And between dinner and dessert, I noticed that one of the members of the big group beside us was Michael McDowell. I stuck half a little candied pecan to my face like a little Hitler moustache and was about to start goosestepping around the place, but my family and boyfriend TOOK AWAY MY NUT. And it was Mr Jane's idea to bite it in half and all!

In conclusion, The Mermaid is lovely, the scallops could have been tenderer and there could have been either fewer fascists or more tolerance for people with pecan moustaches.

Was in Nude (not the Nude) yesterday and had a lamb stew, which is served inside a round loaf of bread. Twas lovely for a chilly evening. It was a bit dry but i say screw you. Was about €8.

I went into Nude for lunch the other week. They do a lunch special - 3 courses for about 12 euro I think. It seemed good value and I'd heard good things about Nude so I thought I'd give it a try. I was a bit disappointed.

First off I ordered some water while I was waiting. I should have ordered tap water. Instead I got some small bottle of expensive still water. Doh!

First course : The tiniest bowl of tomato soup with two
measly slices of bread that took me all of two minutes to eat.

Second course : Vegetarian crepes. The crepes was fine but the vegetarian filling tasted like some frozen veg with some packet cheese sauce.

Third course : Baked cheesecake. Sure the cheesecake was nice. It was one of those dense baked ones. But the size of the slice. I ate it in 3 bites. 3 bites!

I'm not normally one to complain about portion sizes. But when I have a 3 course meal and leave the restaurant feeling hungry, something must be wrong.

Went to Rhodes D7 this week. Thought the decor had an awful bang of burger bar off it, the service was surly and we waited an hour between our starters and main course. Everyone's food was no more than OK, and the menu is just generally uninspired.

Won't be back.

Ate at the Olive Garden in Ratoath last night. Excellent Italian. Me and the missus shared the best mussels we've had in years. Cooked in white wine and garlic and then topped with a tomato sauce and parmesan. Very tender indeed.
She had seafood in cream sauce. I had meatballs in tomato sauce.
All that with wine, 50 euro. top notch nosh. Not quite as good as the Italian in Salthill, but for the price and quality it was excellent.

We went to the Ramsay restaurant at the Ritz Carlton on friday night and I was prepared completely for it to be emperors new trousers tastic, but it's amazing. We both had the chefs tasting menu. Oh God oh God. So worth the 100 each it cost - 2 separate amuse bouches (parmesan crusted thingy with a froth of vichysoisse (I think) in a little cup, plus filo prawns with caviar and prawn cream) and then a load of small courses:

terrine of foie gras and something else I forget, served with shaved (there's a lot of shavin' going on) beetroot and brioche and white chocolate

pork belly with shaved truffle, quail egg and a scallop - MMMMM

lobster ravioli on a bed of spinach with a lemongrass sauce - I would happily dine on this and this alone for ever more

partridge with mead sauce and fondant potato for main

cheese from a cheese TROLLY, a double decker delight packed full of the finest stinky stuff money can buy, one of which the waiter made me have, which was the worlds runniest brie, full of....truffles.

stan had a pannacotta thing, I eschewed it for CHEESE

we also had a bottle of chaBLISS (not so much a wine list as a wine book) and 2 glasses of pink champers as an aperitif, and coffee came with gorgeous petit fours - total was €313, which I thought was focking good value, lads.

We went to the Ramsay restaurant at the Ritz Carlton on friday night and I was prepared completely for it to be emperors new trousers tastic, but it's amazing. We both had the chefs tasting menu. Oh God oh God. So worth the 100 each it cost - 2 separate amuse bouches (parmesan crusted thingy with a froth of vichysoisse (I think) in a little cup, plus filo prawns with caviar and prawn cream) and then a load of small courses:

terrine of foie gras and something else I forget, served with shaved (there's a lot of shavin' going on) beetroot and brioche and white chocolate

pork belly with shaved truffle, quail egg and a scallop - MMMMM

lobster ravioli on a bed of spinach with a lemongrass sauce - I would happily dine on this and this alone for ever more

partridge with mead sauce and fondant potato for main

cheese from a cheese TROLLY, a double decker delight packed full of the finest stinky stuff money can buy, one of which the waiter made me have, which was the worlds runniest brie, full of....truffles.

stan had a pannacotta thing, I eschewed it for CHEESE

we also had a bottle of chaBLISS (not so much a wine list as a wine book) and 2 glasses of pink champers as an aperitif, and coffee came with gorgeous petit fours - total was €313, which I thought was focking good value, lads.

Ooohh sounds nice.

It was amazing. Best meal ever. Forego another two meals out somewhere else and splash out here.

I went to Pinxto on Eustace Street, which is basically another Port House i.e. affordable yummy tapas in a dark room.

Was in there yesterday, excellent stuff and the early bird menu is a bargain. The toilets are amazing too.

Yes Moose, the toilets in Pinxto are amazing: leather-bound legal-eagle style loos.

I think I might come back down to Dublin next weekend so I can use them again and take a photo or two too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back