Restaurant Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Only go to Saba if you like eating decent enough but overpriced Thai food, while being deafened by some of the biggest arseholes Dublin has to offer.

I'd avoid Peploes at all costs too, had a dreadful experience in there.

wheres better for Thai food then?

i don't think i've ever had really good thai food in dublin, so i'd be interested if anyone has any good suggestions.

the food in saba is actually quite nice, but yeah, bit pricey and the place does appear to be some kind of braying-idiot-magnet.

they do some fine cocktails, mind.

We went to Papaya years ago and it was nice then. Best thai I've had in Dublin is Diep Le Shaker, but it is a bit pricey.

We went to Papaya years ago and it was nice then. Best thai I've had in Dublin is Diep Le Shaker, but it is a bit pricey.

well the guy who runs Saba was a co owner of Diep Le Shaker apparently.
got takeaway from Diep Le Shaker / Le Noodle and it was great.

what about that thai orchid place? went there years ago and it was alright.
anyone been recently?

wheres that Jane?

Go up Baggot St toward town, past Pembroke St, etc, take a left about a block after that, onto Ely Place, it's down a flight of steps around the junction with Hume St. It's where Baggot St turns into...uh...something Row. Merrion Row, maybe? Anyway, it's the block before Stephen's Green.

And upstairs from it is some sort of Secret Nights of Columbanus or something.

The owner/manager/whatever of Papaya is a friendly, chatty dude. I think he's actually Iranian.

Food is lovely.

I will say that when we were in there, the next table was full of bints and pricks. They were celebrating something and the guest of honour was given what was obviously a very expensive handbag they'd all pitched in for and the whole table spent about half an hour passing around this monstrosity and ooh-ing and aaaaaah-ing.

Then again, we were at a table with a bunch of people who could have been more pleasant. I didn't know them, and as the meal went on, I was well glad I didn't know them. I still don't know them, thank christ.

The long and short of it is: the food is lovely, but watch out for pricks and bints.

.what about that thai orchid place? went there years ago and it was alright.
anyone been recently?
Well I was there for lunch a few years ago and it was shit. I'm not sure whether that was before or after you. It's either improved since I was there or went downhill since you were there. IK think when I was there it still had a good reputation so maybe I was there more recently.

If any of you have any reason to go to Carlow The Weeping Tiger down beside the Castle serves the best Thai food I've tasted outside Thailand. Not too pricey either. The tables are very small and it can be a bit noisy, but the food cannot be beaten.

If any of you have any reason to go to Carlow The Weeping Tiger down beside the Castle serves the best Thai food I've tasted outside Thailand. Not too pricey either. The tables are very small and it can be a bit noisy, but the food cannot be beaten.

There's a Thai place in Athlone which is fantastic too ...

Went to Gary Rhodes restaurant on Capel Street last night. There were 15 of us and because we were a group of more than 10, they gave us their large group menu...which was SHITE. Choice of 4 starters and 4 mains (none of which were beef). Anyway we eventually got the a la carte menu which was much better.

I started with a bbq chicken, mango and coriander salad which was gorgeous. Had steak for mains which was lovely - medium rare, cooked perfectly and really tasty. It was served with gorgeous chunky chips and bearnaise sauce. Had a few mouthfulls of toffee pudding then and it was lurvely. If I had been on my own I would have scoffed the whole dessert but I didn't want to be a pig in front of everyone else.

Would defo go back again, but not as part of a large group.

yep, good place. There's one in Newbridge too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back