Restaurant Recommendations (2 Viewers)

has anyone been to that gastro pub across from christchurch yet?

It's just another grubby FXB steak joint. I had the poxiest meal ever there for our office xmas party, will never darken the door again. They were as good as throwing the plates at us, and not in a performance waitering kinda way either.

It's just another grubby FXB steak joint. I had the poxiest meal ever there for our office xmas party, will never darken the door again. They were as good as throwing the plates at us, and not in a performance waitering kinda way either.
I've been there a few times and have been impressed every time. The food isn't stunning but it's much better than nearly every other boozer I can think of. Also their beer selection is really good. On the otherhand, the place itself is a bit poxy. The beerhall upstairs makes up for that, nice space, decent music. No food up there though.

I was in the restaurant in Avoca today for lunch. I thought it was excellent. I had a smoked fish platter which consisted of smoked salmon, trout and mussels. All top quality. My girlfriend had a sticky asian chicken thing. The chicken was great and it was served with a really good salad. We split a portion of chips which was cooked in duck fat. I've never had chips like that before but I'd be more than happy to have them like that again. we got some nice homemade lemonade too. It came to €45 (service was included so I didn't leave much of a tip)

I reckon it's second only to the cafeteria in Boyers in the restaurant in shops stakes.

i wanna go out somewhere fancy as hell.
ive been looking around and i like the sound of...

dax
les freres jacques
peploes and
one pico

anyone been to these?

I was in the Mermaid the other night with a large group. I'd been there a few weeks previous for lunch and had a really good meal. The lunch set menu is excellent value - about 25 euro for 3 courses.

The dinner menu was a la carte though. There was no set menu. So it was a good bit more expensive. And the food had been better when I had been there for lunch. Plus the waitress was a bit snotty, which, when paying a good bit of money for a meal, is a bit galling.

So, in summary, the Mermaid for lunch, but not for dinner.

I was in the Mermaid the other night with a large group. I'd been there a few weeks previous for lunch and had a really good meal. The lunch set menu is excellent value - about 25 euro for 3 courses.

The dinner menu was a la carte though. There was no set menu. So it was a good bit more expensive. And the food had been better when I had been there for lunch. Plus the waitress was a bit snotty, which, when paying a good bit of money for a meal, is a bit galling.

So, in summary, the Mermaid for lunch, but not for dinner.
I was there a few months back for dinner. I thought the food was really good but the waiter was a bit snotty too. It was pricey too. Overall I was pleased though.

I've been there a few times for family occasions. Nice food and atmosphere. It's a little bit pricey but the setting is very nice. Best bet is to go for their early bird menu.

We had a great meal in an Indian restaurant on Temple Lane last night. It's open til 5am. I wish I could recall the name of it. I had a vindaloo and it was the hottest meal I've ever had, my eyes were watering. It was great! Meal for two inc rice, naan, chips, 2 glasses of milk and a bottle of house red cost 45 euro. I'm gonna check the name of it later.

We had a great meal in an Indian restaurant on Temple Lane last night. It's open til 5am. I wish I could recall the name of it. I had a vindaloo and it was the hottest meal I've ever had, my eyes were watering. It was great! Meal for two inc rice, naan, chips, 2 glasses of milk and a bottle of house red cost 45 euro. I'm gonna check the name of it later.

Is it on that street parallel to Eustace Street, on the other side of Centra? I've been meaning to try that place. Always curious when I pass it.

My bird took me out for my birthday last week, I didn't end up eating the leftover chicken (must remember to throw that out). We went to a place called Léon, which is on Exchequer St. There's a couple around town but the other ones are just Cafés while this is a restaurant. Anyway, it was lovely. It's French food, nothing too fancy but not terribly expensive (nothing much over €15). I had lemon sole which was cooked in a bag type thing and ended up being really flavoursome. The bird had chicken which came with an incrdible salad. I had creme brule for dessert which I think is one of my favourite things to eat. The staff were nice.

I'm glad to have another French restaurant to go to since my Chez Max boycott is still going.

Went to malotti for lunch, after reading about it in this thread (thanks thread) - two delicious and well presented courses + coffee for €8.45. Amazing.

The do an all-day set menu on sunday for €16.75 if any of you are heading on a cheap date together. Don't buy the large bottle of cobra beer (€8 or something).

Set menus include at least one veggie option by the way.

The last two times i've been in Fallon and Byrne the (microwave reheated) food has been stone cold in the middle. Bring it back, still cold. Third time, nuked so that the sauce is bubbling and the rice is stuck together. My wife had the same experience recently.

My verdict: Fallon and Byrne, you ain't all that.

The last two times i've been in Fallon and Byrne the (microwave reheated) food has been stone cold in the middle. Bring it back, still cold. Third time, nuked so that the sauce is bubbling and the rice is stuck together. My wife had the same experience recently.

My verdict: Fallon and Byrne, you ain't all that.

what were you ordering

'cold in the middle' is expected for spiceburgers in rural chippers when cooked whole - but not for restaurants

the What I Did On My Holidays edition:

doolin

doolin craft centre - a drive from the village, but it's a lovely surprise. i had a great goats' cheese salad, perfect dressing and all, and the garden is the nicest place imaginable to eat in good weather.

the lazy lobster - even with a sulky vegetarian puss on after checking out dozens of menus offering nothing appetising, this looked good despite being a seafood restaurant. i had (another!) goats' cheese salad, and there were at least two vegetarian starters and mains. great brown bread, lovely lemon sorbet, and the staff were a whole load of lovely and the music was (finally!) a break from pan pipe trad. reports on the seafood were very positive too. it's not too big, two small rooms, and i'd go back in a heartbeat. only downside was a group of american tourists talking so loudly we ended up getting lost in their conversation instead of ours, but, not to be helped.

kenmare

velvet - down a laneway. moroccan, italian, spanish, greek influences, kind of tapas-like with two sizes of plates available in any sequence. i had a mozzarella and tomato salad, and gnocchi with tomato and olives. not a gnocchi fan generally but this was great, no doughy texture, on the minimal side with the sauce. the salad was great too, and i am a fussy pain in the arse and had a lot that will remain unreported. oh, and blackberry fool? incredible. summer fruit desserts win. the staff were really lovely and knowledgeable and let me kind of order around the menu to find veggie options that suited.

bácús - on main street, opposite our hotel's woegeous restaurant. i only had lunch, but the atmosphere's nice, friendly staff (again) and robert doisneau prints on the wall. i mixed/matched to end up with a local cheddar and cucumber pickle sandwich on brown bread, which was texture heaven. the coffee and breakfast are also good, according to my sidekick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back