Restaurant Recommendations (2 Viewers)

If any of yas are ever up the Derry or Buncrana there's a restaurant called the railway tavern in a wee place called Fahan. It's famous for it's flame grilled steaks but I had the veggie option of tagitelle with baby potatos, semi sundried tomatos in a creamy garlic sauce with a bit of pesto, was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. Me mum had the hake which was also excellent I'm told.

The place looks really run down from outside but grand inside defo worth a look if you happen to be up that way.

BANG CAFE -

I had a table for 10 booked for the last 3 weeks for today at 2pm for a leaving 'do for work. I rang this morning to confirm (which I always do) and lo and behold, it had been cancelled! I asked who cancelled it as I certainly hadn't, and since I made the booking, I wanted to know what had happened. They couldn't tell me who cancelled, and they had no other available tables, so they have left me hanging and pretty desperate, at the LAST BLOODY MINUTE.

I'm pretty peeved but the worst thing is that the guy treated me like it was my fault, when I know for a fact it wasn't.

I do not recommend Bang Cafe to anyone.

BANG CAFE -

I had a table for 10 booked for the last 3 weeks for today at 2pm for a leaving 'do for work. I rang this morning to confirm (which I always do) and lo and behold, it had been cancelled! I asked who cancelled it as I certainly hadn't, and since I made the booking, I wanted to know what had happened. They couldn't tell me who cancelled, and they had no other available tables, so they have left me hanging and pretty desperate, at the LAST BLOODY MINUTE.

I'm pretty peeved but the worst thing is that the guy treated me like it was my fault, when I know for a fact it wasn't.

Ah nasty! My last boss always wanted me to make bookings there for him. Always found the staff rude and the times that my boss did go there he always came back complaining about the service and the noise levels. It was bizarre. What is the appeal of the place can someone tell me?

For me the appeal of Bang Cafe would be the chance to RUN INTO the owners 'It Boys and twins Simon and Christian Stokes, handsome sons of Pia Bang'.. RUN INTO with a rusty blade, that is...

Had dinner in Dunne & Cresceni(?) in Dundrum before the theatre the other night, although it wasn't a pre-theatre menu.

Lovely food. I had steak with parmesan and rocket with a jus, and baby potatoes with rosemary. The steak was absolutely melt in the mouth sexy. My dining companion had seafood pasta which he assured me was nice. We had an apple sponge cake and an 'intense' chocolate tart for dessert and they were both tasty.

BANG CAFE -

That place is shite anyway. Stodgy gank risotto.

ate in these Dunmore East places over the last few days

The Strand Restaurant.
Seafood is their unsurprisingly speciality. Amazingly tasty chowder to start with. Main was deep fried slip sole. It rocked. Served with tasty gratin, red cabbage and runner beans.

The Wheelhouse
Goats cheese and carmelised onion tartlet. A simple dish done well. Main was hake with crab claws. Superbly cooked - easy to overdo. Nice herby crust with lovely carrot and turnip.

Well thankfully I was able to book a table in the (much nicer) Town Bar & Grill. Thank fuck.

AND SCREW THEM F*CKTARDS IN BANG!

Well it all worked out in the end - had a great time in Town and an amazing meal to boot. I started with the seared pepper yellowfin tuna which was lovely and fresh (beware - if you don't like uncooked fish you won't enjoy this dish). For mains I had the hereford steak cooked medium rare and it was absolutely beautiful. Best meal I've had in yonks. Dessert was apple and blackberry crumble with vanilla ice cream...heavenly! I can't recommend the place enough...Totally unpretentious, great service and actually pretty good value for what you get.

Funny to read about the Bang experiences. I once made a booking, turned up and they had no record. Luckily they had a spare table. Town Bar on Grill was high on my must-try list but reading your reports it's gone to no.1.

Town is great, but expensivo.

I didn't think it was that dear, to be honest, especially given portion sizes. L'ecrivain is dear and you leave starving (!) whereas I think the prices in Town are fair for what you get. The steak was huge (think it cost around €23 which is standard for a good steak in dublin, no?) and after the three courses I was stuffed. Also, I noted on their website they do a 3 course pre-theatre menu for €30...not bad at all.

I went to Town Bar and grill a couple of months back. the food was nothing special and it was overpriced - service wasn't great either.

I went to the mermaid last night. Apart from the drilling on the road outside it was lovely. Crab Cakes to start and Skate with clams as main course (they do their fish with fruity and sweet flavours rather than cream, which is sort of caribbean I think). Had the nicest ice-cream I've had in a while for dessert - mint with shrapnel of chocolate.

has anyone been to that gastro pub across from christchurch yet?
Yes, regurally. It's called the Bull and Castle. Great beer selection, including what is my favourite Irish Beer, Galway Hooker. They also have Chimay, Westmalle, Duvel and loads more Belgian beers. The food is of very good quality and not overly priced. It's very touristy but I think it's one of a very places that serve good beer and good food. Although the beer selection isn't a patch on the Porterhouse, I think on the whole it's a more pleasant place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back