Restaurant Recommendations (1 Viewer)

maloti is my new favourite indian in dublin, i think. had been there a couple of years ago and not thought too much of it, but we were there for celebratories the night the missus became a dr, and it was incredible. could hardly speak. the bombay aloo and tarkha dahl sides were particularly fantastic.
lovely staff too

went to eden the other night. was ok. nice atmosphere but the grub wasn't as fantastic as i'd been expecting. nothing wrong with it like, but had thought it was meant to be amazing

yep maloti is great.

Went to Ely in the IFSC last weekend. It was good but nothing spectacular. I wasn't paying so I have no idea how much it cost but I suspect it's overpriced.

Was a far more enjoyable experience however than going to the fucking Venu Bar and Brasserie or whatever it's called a few weeks ago. Went with the missus. Was hoping for serious nosh ... posh nosh ....... For a start, to get in you have to go through this cocktail bar like you were in that Sylvester Stallone place. Then they sat us down under a speaker that was pumping out unspeakably bad hairdresser-style euro-rave music. Unbelievable. After shouting at each other about how shit this was for about a minute, I got up and asked to be moved. They said they would, so I went back and sat down again. After about four more minutes we realised that when they do finally come along and move us we will just be moved to another part of the same shit place surrounded by the same assholes and with the same crap music at just a slightly lower volume. So, we got up and left and went to Cafe Bar Deli instead. Where I also asked to be moved ..... but they were nice about it.

I went to King Sitric in Howth on Saturday with Mrs Ro. It's a long-established seafood restaurant.

I had glazed crab with pineapple and hollandaise sauce for starter which was light and very sweet. Then I had angels on horseback which is an oyster wrapped in bacon. For main course I had monkfish in a pastry with a sort of cheese sauce and potatoes/veg. I had cheescake with a walnut (rather than biscuit) base for dessert, and then coffee. The whole thing was €55 each which i thought was pretty good for a special occassion five-course meal. Service was very quick, in fact too quick, so we took an hour between main course and dessert.

High recommended - 9/10.

went to toscana for dinner on saturday night with the family..id never been before but everyone else had..was going well enough until the main courses came..both my parents and i had ordered steak.they wanted theirs well done and i wanted mine medium..so the steaks came and my dad cut into his and it was totally pink..like it looked more rare than medium..so he calls the guy over and ask him can he have it very well done..so the dude brings it back and its still pretty much rare..we ended up having to send it back 3 times so by the time it finally came back right ,everyone elese has finished their mains..so we're sitting there eating desserts and the aul pair are drinking tea when the guy comes over and puts a coffee in front of my dad 'on the house'..so we appreciate the gesture but a)my dad already had a cup of tea in front of him and b) NO one at the table was drinking coffee..

so i said to my dad that i didnt think we should pay for something that had to be sent back so many times and which he ended up eating while everyone else was finished..my dad wasnt down with that at all but i insisted..so the waiter comes over with the bill and i said to him that i didnt think it should be on the bill...he ROLLED his eyes and gave this really exasperated sigh and told me to wait a minute..so he comes back with the manager and i said the same thing to him and he took it off..but the waiters attitude so pissed me off..

my dad isnt one for going out to eat much and we went out to celebrate him getting out of hospital but it really took the good out of the evening,not just for him but for all of us..

so not v. impressed with my first visit at all..

*sorry for the rant*

went to eden the other night. was ok. nice atmosphere but the grub wasn't as fantastic as i'd been expecting. nothing wrong with it like, but had thought it was meant to be amazing
it's not that great, no.
another place which is meant to be amazing is saba but it's not - way too crowded and loud with mediocre food.

not cheap but - mint in ranelagh. holy god. absolutely delicious food (including particularly yummy fish), and so much of it that i nearly had to be rolled from the restaurant. i think it was the petits fours with coffee that turned out to be an entire other vast dessert WITH CANDYFLOSS that tipped me over the edge...

oh goody, we got an amazing wedding present for there, tasting menu! can;t wait. am a little afraid....

ooh, lucky you! we're tempted to go back and do that next time we're feeling flush. might have to starve for several days beforehand, mind (we got the three course menu + coffee last time, which still featured about four extra bonus courses on the off chance we were getting peckish waiting for the things we actually ordered. i'm afraid i looked like the before picture in one of those "ARE YOU SUFFERING FROM BLOATEDNESS?" ads for the rest of the evening.).

Two Italian style recommendations I have to share -
1) the Italian place on Camden street with the bike stuff all over it (the one where you have to ring the doorbell to get in) I had the veggie pizza, really good!

The Phoenix in the 'italian quarter' closes early but has also amazing pizza (the one with the goats cheese..mmmmm) and pasta, corgette and brocolli, tasty as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back