Moving to the sticks (2 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

Was at my brother's house for first time yesterday.
isolated one story cottage with big (mostly) converted attic on a one acre+ site. It's approached by a narrow overgrown lane about 400 metres long (right of way) and surrounded by forestry planted since 80's.

There are stone outbuildings at the back with nice stone work - particularly one of the floors but they are in poor shape although nearly the size of the house itself.

due to the trees you can't see anything in the distance but when inevitably the forestry is cleared he would have amazing views in compensation.

he has been fixing up the place for 16+ months in his spare time. it was renovated in mid 2010's and no one moved in and he had to do a lot of the work again.

he went for it after having few other options. it was nearly half the price of anywhere he looked at.
a guy he worked with owned the place and told him about it - it was never advertised.

really pleased for him.

I sounds great, fair play to him

Get ready for the wind when those trees are cut.

My dad was a builder and therefore hates trees (builders hate trees). He cut down a lovely tree that made their place in mayo lovely. Now the wind will keep you up at night. (shrugs).
will be interesting alright! the trees are fairly mature and the house is at over 300 metres altitude on OS map.
EDIT: looks lovely now will be a pity if all trees are gone....

Folk singer Mike Harding is selling his Connemara cottage

If you know of any artist/musician/writer / or somebody simply looking for a life change then this might interest them.
Because of changing circumstances, I'm putting my home in Connemara on the market.
The changes are mostly benign and I also believe a home like this needs people living in it. I've not been able to be there as much as I would like since Covid - hence the sale.
25 yrs ago I bought a ruin, turned it back into a house, and then built a stand-alone studio with a bedroom and wet room. It's a quirky place and isn't to most people's taste but it works - the house is snug and the studio is a great creative space.
All in all 3 bedrooms 2 Living rooms and 2 bathrooms. The house and studio have been developed using lime mortars and plasters, the tiles are mostly from Fired Earth. Outside are Liscannor flags and granite sets. Heating is underfloor water piping. In the house heat comes from a Stanley Stove in the Studio (which is fully insulated and is walled with thermal blocks) the water is heated electrically but is very economical.
Parking for 4 vehicles and an EV charge point. The house is 1/4 mile from the sea at Cleggan Bay and about a mile and a bit from Newman's Pub where there are sessions every Tuesday and Music Nights at weekends - the nearest town Clifden. Airport Knock. Tome from Dublin Port to the front door 4.5 hrs. Matt O'Sullivan of Clifden is handling the sale. Here's a flip book of some of its aspects - put together very kindly by that genius Bryan Ledgard.

Folk singer Mike Harding is selling his Connemara cottage

If you know of any artist/musician/writer / or somebody simply looking for a life change then this might interest them.
Because of changing circumstances, I'm putting my home in Connemara on the market.
The changes are mostly benign and I also believe a home like this needs people living in it. I've not been able to be there as much as I would like since Covid - hence the sale.
25 yrs ago I bought a ruin, turned it back into a house, and then built a stand-alone studio with a bedroom and wet room. It's a quirky place and isn't to most people's taste but it works - the house is snug and the studio is a great creative space.
All in all 3 bedrooms 2 Living rooms and 2 bathrooms. The house and studio have been developed using lime mortars and plasters, the tiles are mostly from Fired Earth. Outside are Liscannor flags and granite sets. Heating is underfloor water piping. In the house heat comes from a Stanley Stove in the Studio (which is fully insulated and is walled with thermal blocks) the water is heated electrically but is very economical.
Parking for 4 vehicles and an EV charge point. The house is 1/4 mile from the sea at Cleggan Bay and about a mile and a bit from Newman's Pub where there are sessions every Tuesday and Music Nights at weekends - the nearest town Clifden. Airport Knock. Tome from Dublin Port to the front door 4.5 hrs. Matt O'Sullivan of Clifden is handling the sale. Here's a flip book of some of its aspects - put together very kindly by that genius Bryan Ledgard.

Is this the Irish Times and podcast lad also?

The kids and I moved back "home" a few months ago. We're living in the cabin my granny lived in - which hadn't been lived in for 20 years. The freedom for Squigglyboy (11 last week!) and squigglygirl (5) is great, but we also have stress. We've had water coming though ceilings (all sorted now), electricity is currently by means of an extension lead from my parent's house so I can't use a cooker and we have to limit how many devices operate at once, internet is via mobile phone hotspot and we have no hot water. All that I could cope with... but now the rats are looking for somewhere cosy and have managed to find their way in... my brave little girl actually came face to face with one this morning. 23 years in Dublin with the worst I had to deal with being spiders and silverfish. I'm not able for this. After seeing the rat this morning I couldn't even re-set the trap the fucker had somehow escaped unscathed. The 4 set yesterday killed two mice. There is a reason that in 27 years of not living here I NEVER EVER lived on ground floor.

The kids and I moved back "home" a few months ago. We're living in the cabin my granny lived in - which hadn't been lived in for 20 years. The freedom for Squigglyboy (11 last week!) and squigglygirl (5) is great, but we also have stress. We've had water coming though ceilings (all sorted now), electricity is currently by means of an extension lead from my parent's house so I can't use a cooker and we have to limit how many devices operate at once, internet is via mobile phone hotspot and we have no hot water. All that I could cope with... but now the rats are looking for somewhere cosy and have managed to find their way in... my brave little girl actually came face to face with one this morning. 23 years in Dublin with the worst I had to deal with being spiders and silverfish. I'm not able for this. After seeing the rat this morning I couldn't even re-set the trap the fucker had somehow escaped unscathed. The 4 set yesterday killed two mice. There is a reason that in 27 years of not living here I NEVER EVER lived on ground floor.
This is the culchie content I want to see.

This is the culchie content I want to see.
Gee thanks! At least I'm not afraid of spiders! And my children can safely go outside without me... the fact that all three of us might feel more comfortable sleeping in a tree than in our warm beds tonight is irrelevant. I'm allergic to pet dander but seriously considering the exact type of dog I can't stand (small, indoors and yappy) if it will rip rats to pieces and then display the corpses for my approval. My smallies are almost ok with the idea of poison everywhere, even if it puts my brother's cats and my parents dog at risk... I can't quite go that far.

Gee thanks! At least I'm not afraid of spiders! And my children can safely go outside without me... the fact that all three of us might feel more comfortable sleeping in a tree than in our warm beds tonight is irrelevant. I'm allergic to pet dander but seriously considering the exact type of dog I can't stand (small, indoors and yappy) if it will rip rats to pieces and then display the corpses for my approval. My smallies are almost ok with the idea of poison everywhere, even if it puts my brother's cats and my parents dog at risk... I can't quite go that far.
Have you considered a piper, possibly a pied one?

Cats are probably the best solution though. Ours were famous in the estate we lived in, and people would even press gang them in to getting the rats under their decking or locking them in their sheds

Have you considered a piper, possibly a pied one?

Cats are probably the best solution though. Ours were famous in the estate we lived in, and people would even press gang them in to getting the rats under their decking or locking them in their sheds

I have contacted Rentokil.

Yes, a cat would be good, and my the little girl would love one, but I'm super allergic and not keen on the idea of having to medicate myself in order to live in my home.

which Stephen King novel is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back