Moving to the sticks (6 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

grants-to-ready-vacant-farmhouses-for-refurbishment/

Grants up to €7,500 for condition assessment of vernacular farmhouses and recommendations on how to sympathetically upgrade without maladaptation. To get you ready for the Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant (up to €50,000), which can be used in conjunction with the SEAI grants.

Off to Roscommon!
it'll take more than 50 grand for me to set foot in roscommon

So, has anyone who moved to the sticks found a local GP and how did you go about it?

I went to the local dept of Health office to sign up but was told the waiting list is two years long. Instead, they let me sign a piece of paper which was an ad hoc list of people who were on the waiting list to be on the waiting list.

That was about three years ago.

These days if I need to see the doctor I need to take half a day off work and drive to my old GP in Leixlip. It has meant that quite often I decide not to bother going, which at my age is probably not a good idea.

I managed it but how I did it isnt reproducible.

The local quacks nephew is married to my girlfrens pal so I went in there playing it like that . I never even got to meet him cos he was out sick, but I talked my way on to the books of his stand in

I'm now back with my original one in Northside shopping centre.

Are you supposed to go through the dept to see a gp? I've never had a regular gp at I've moved a good bit, usually I just ring up the nearest gp and ask for an appointment and it's worked so far. The latest one keeps my records on a piece of paper in a wardrobe and googles medical stuff on his phone

Are you supposed to go through the dept to see a gp? I've never had a regular gp at I've moved a good bit, usually I just ring up the nearest gp and ask for an appointment and it's worked so far. The latest one keeps my records on a piece of paper in a wardrobe and googles medical stuff on his phone

Sounds like the doctor from the latest John Mulaney comedy special

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think I will do this. I think I got it into my head that I had to get a GP to add me to their list.

So, has anyone who moved to the sticks found a local GP and how did you go about it?

I went to the local dept of Health office to sign up but was told the waiting list is two years long. Instead, they let me sign a piece of paper which was an ad hoc list of people who were on the waiting list to be on the waiting list.

That was about three years ago.

These days if I need to see the doctor I need to take half a day off work and drive to my old GP in Leixlip. It has meant that quite often I decide not to bother going, which at my age is probably not a good idea.
great question. I haven't tried this yet but I expect all to tell me they are not taking new patients.

but I was gonna just lie and go to the same GP that my ma goes to after she tells him I moved here to look after here. Which isn't true. Will see if that works.

It helps having your other half's family on the doc's books.
That's how I got in to see the doc.

Now I just book an online consultation with Laya because it's free and I don't have to leave the gaff. Well not free coz private healthcare is not free. But I feel like I'm getting some sort of value out of it by using them

Was at my brother's house for first time yesterday.
isolated one story cottage with big (mostly) converted attic on a one acre+ site. It's approached by a narrow overgrown lane about 400 metres long (right of way) and surrounded by forestry planted since 80's.

There are stone outbuildings at the back with nice stone work - particularly one of the floors but they are in poor shape although nearly the size of the house itself.

due to the trees you can't see anything in the distance but when inevitably the forestry is cleared he would have amazing views in compensation.

he has been fixing up the place for 16+ months in his spare time. it was renovated in mid 2010's and no one moved in and he had to do a lot of the work again.

he went for it after having few other options. it was nearly half the price of anywhere he looked at.
a guy he worked with owned the place and told him about it - it was never advertised.

really pleased for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back