Ireland (3 Viewers)

mcdonalds stopped using beef tallow years ago to cook their chips in. i suspect it's sunflower oil or similar everywhere now.

Yeah, pretty much nowhere uses animal fat for cooking commercially anymore here, especially not in deep fryers.

For one thing it is far safer* using plant fats, the flash point is much higher so a lower risk of fire.

* Those pressure cooker chicken fryer things that KFC and other places use are still pretty dangerous regardless.

I know a bit about it. We mostly supply and fit restaurant fire suppression systems in work.

Yeah, pretty much nowhere uses animal fat for cooking commercially anymore here, especially not in deep fryers.

For one thing it is far safer* using plant fats, the flash point is much higher so a lower risk of fire.

* Those pressure cooker chicken fryer things that KFC and other places use are still pretty dangerous regardless.

I know a bit about it. We mostly supply and fit restaurant fire suppression systems in work.
they're gonna put you out of business then if they are using stuff thats less likely to go on fire, no?

they're gonna put you out of business then if they are using stuff thats less likely to go on fire, no?
Still goes on fire, right? Just at a higher temperature. I've had flaming frying pans at home and we fry everything in olive oil

edit: or sometimes peanut oil
another edit: or the odd time in butter, hmm maybe that's when it's happened
yet another edit: in fairness we have a gas cooker, so flames aren't necessarily just because of the pan being at too high a temperature

Still goes on fire, right? Just at a higher temperature. I've had flaming frying pans at home and we fry everything in olive oil

edit: or sometimes peanut oil
another edit: or the odd time in butter, hmm maybe that's when it's happened
yet another edit: in fairness we have a gas cooker, so flames aren't necessarily just because of the pan being at too high a temperature

For a small domestic fire like that I'd say your best bet is a fire blanket, or failing that the damp dishcloth over the top thing.

Fire extinguishers are grand if you can stop panic setting in as you get ready to use it and know the correct distances to be away from the hazard when operating them but they can be a bit messy to clean up.

Of if you've got a couple of grand going spare I can sell you an automatic domestic kitchen fire suppression system.

My instinct the couple of times it's happened has been to blow it out. Each time afterwards I've been like "hmm that worked, but probably very fucking dodgy and I should never do that again". Have a fire blanket and a fire extinguisher sitting right there in the kitchen, but who knows what you're going to do under pressure

(saying this as a guy who once accidentally cut a slice off his own finger, and then in a panic ate it)

My instinct the couple of times it's happened has been to blow it out. Each time afterwards I've been like "hmm that worked, but probably very fucking dodgy and I should never do that again". Have a fire blanket and a fire extinguisher sitting right there in the kitchen, but who knows what you're going to do under pressure

(saying this as a guy who once accidentally cut a slice off his own finger, and then in a panic ate it)

My typical line to kitchen staff when I'm demoing the system is to just get out quickly and safely if there's a fire and that their health is worth more than their boss' stuff, which is insured anyway. Pull the automatic release if you can, but don't be a hero.

The situation may be different when it's your gaff.

Re the veggie thing, I assume they just cook the chicken in the same fryers they cook the chips, so technically not veggie.

Are all of you people veggies?

I'm thinking of doing it for the last three months of the year - see if it gets my cholesterol down

I'm thinking of doing it for the last three months of the year - see if it gets my cholesterol down
I've been a veggie for about 25 years and have just found out my cholesterol is way too high. But my diet has been shite ( too many takeaways) and I don't exercise. I've switched to vegan for the last while, hoping that'll help bring it down to safer levels.

I've been a veggie for about 25 years and have just found out my cholesterol is way too high. But my diet has been shite ( too many takeaways) and I don't exercise. I've switched to vegan for the last while, hoping that'll help bring it down to safer levels.
I've made some pretty good progress, I'm still in the danger zone though (Lanaa!)
Doc says I have gone as far as I can with lifestyle and I should go on pills
Fuck that
I figure I can shave a bunch more off my number by eliminating animal fats - so I will go into deep 'fuck you' mode in October

These guys aren't real doctors anyways, everyone knows that's the PhDs

I guess it depends on where you draw your veggie line.

I'm not veggie at all, but if I was, I wouldn't want chicken fat in my chips.

I suppose Supermac's just said "we're not veggie" instead of "we're sort of able to do veggie but it depends on what you mean by veggie".

It's just unambiguous that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back