gig discussion, please read and give opinion (2 Viewers)

What's the likelihood of being able to videotape a gig and post it(or a bit of it) on here, for people who view eirecore but have never been to a gig or who stumble across this place and have some interest in punk music? Janer's post-gig analysis and photos are deadly for showing what went on even if he just slags the bands for not being punk enough, looking back at video footage of gigs would be better again.

shcuzzy said:
What's the likelihood of being able to videotape a gig and post it(or a bit of it) on here, for people who view eirecore but have never been to a gig or who stumble across this place and have some interest in punk music? Janer's post-gig analysis and photos are deadly for showing what went on even if he just slags the bands for not being punk enough, looking back at video footage of gigs would be better again.

It's quite easy and Janer is considering investing in a digital video camera to create a catalogue. An archive has been spoken about for this sort of thing on paddypunk.net so it's in the process of creatiion as far as I can see!

Just wondering if there is any point at all in trying to promote these gigs outside the capital, it'd probably just be a compelte waste of time but it could show to other people that there's a good punk scene going on in Dublin and might encourage people to go?

this is an really good idea for the likes of cellbridge, maynooth and all the other nearish places with semi affordable buses, does anyone live in such an area and want to put up posters now and again?

i think a good way of expanding the d.i.y. audience would be to hold an all day saturday gig with about eight diverse bands somewhere smack bang in the centre of town and make it all ages,

also a great idea, but i dont know of anywhere to put on such an event, city arts center was good, but somewhere new hasnt come up(to my knowledge...) can anyone think of somewhere viable?

the band are supposed to create all the fun/energy, you can't expect people to react when they don't like the band

i totally understand, i wouldnt react in an overly positive way if i hate the band, i think what jamie ment was that if a gig becomes more fun, peopl may come out just for the sake of it. Thats why i like the idea of dj's after the bands, etc. also people can fall into the trap of being too cool, not dancing when they actually would like too, etc. it would be nice to feel like its ok to have fun. not a thing you can change, just my opinion.

also, sorry i cant find the quote, someone mentioned the more strapped for cash of us could offer to help out,... this is something ive been thinking about for a long time, everywhere else ive been, this is the case. often there is alot that can be done, such as offering to stay behind after and help unsetup and carry thing, maybe do a can clean up, offer to do the door for a band so the promoters can watch, poster town in their spare time, etc.
also if you dont have the exact price, come anyway and give what you have instead of not coming out, no one will be angry at you for asking, long as your not a serial offender, ive been in that situation many times myself.

i dont think that we are doing too badly in ireland either, but putting on gigs is like any other public service in a way. if the people arnt happy, they wont support you. this is for me just an ideas sharing session, not just to complain:)

It's quite easy and Janer is considering investing in a digital video camera to create a catalogue. An archive has been spoken about for this sort of thing on paddypunk.net so it's in the process of creatiion as far as I can see!

dont know if its still up, but before i went to california, i went on the internet looking for gig info, and what was really nice was the photo galleries on the gilman site etc. you could see bands you like playing, interesting looking bands youd never heard, and pictures of the crowd having fun, all of which made me more excited to get out there and go to gigs on my own. the photos thread is good, archives are great

needtokill said:
perhaps if the audience made a bit more of a fucking effort instead of standing around looking bored (see also:silly dancing,stupid costumes),I might be tempted to venture out a bit more.It struck me last gig I played how 99% times,the band are expected to create all the fun/energy.
You wouldn't believe how long i just spent going through nothingnice.com for the strip with the singer guy giving out to the crowd about nobody dancing and the dude from the crowd going "maybe we're not dancing because we don't like your band". Man, it would have been a nice burn if i'd found it. Oh well.

both are on dublin bus routes and suburban rail networks? Perhaps you're thinking more of south kildare?

the pyrate dead said:
this is an really good idea for the likes of cellbridge, maynooth and all the other nearish places with semi affordable buses, does anyone live in such an area and want to put up posters now and again?

:)

Can Etiquette - As some one who does occasionally bring cans into gigs, and hasn't been caught yet ;) I'd like to impart with some advice (it's common sense really!).

So you've six bad boys in your bag...

Make sure to be nice and subtle when you're entering and leaving the venue with said bag, you'll find this alot easier if your bag DOESN'T look like it's only carring six cans.

If you're looking for a pint glass to pour your can in, buy a pint at the bar...I find it eases d'aul conscience AND when the staff see you with booze they'll assume you bought it.

If you are pouring your cans in the toilets, which is probaly the safest and only decent place to accomplish your mission, make sure that the barman ISN'T taking a piss in the cubicle beside you. Try your fukking damnest to muffle the sound of a can opening. Also make sure that you conceal your empty glass when making your way to the toilets OR take the last half of your pint in with you, drink it then top it up.

So, you've got your beer in the glass and an empty can in your hand. What do you do now? Hide it behind the toilet? Stuff it down the cistern? Force the nearest crusty to eat it for some stale bread?

NO!!!!!

You crush it up nice and small AND quietly then pop into the plastic bag you brought along inside you're bag. Hell, the six cans you bought probaly came in a bag so you can use that!

And now for the finer points...

When pouring your can, make sure to take your time and tilt the glass. There is nothing more obvious then some one leaving the jaxx with half a pint of beer and half a pint of foam on top of that.

There is alot more I could say but it's all common sense really.

I understand that some times it's a choice between the gig or cans, moneywise, but cans won't just disappear like the venues if the staff have to stay back and extra hour to clean up Jimmy the Punks 12 cans of Druids he left in the toilet.

I'm well aware how alot of us can't have fun unless we're drunk, so if you're gonna be the drunk at the gig at least be the consciencious one.

Cheers!
.|..|

more chocolate at gigs would be good:)

are newsletters a thing of the past? does anyone do music zines anymore?
surely both would help?

its on the way...i want people to have a thirst / lust for it.

the pyrate dead said:
also a great idea, but i dont know of anywhere to put on such an event, city arts center was good, but somewhere new hasnt come up(to my knowledge...) can anyone think of somewhere viable?
st nicholas of myra parish centre francis street
atgwu hall middle abbey street
larkin room, liberty hall
are all halls that can be used for gigs with no age restrictions

needtokill said:
perhaps if the audience made a bit more of a fucking effort instead of standing around looking bored (see also:silly dancing,stupid costumes),I might be tempted to venture out a bit more.It struck me last gig I played how 99% times,the band are expected to create all the fun/energy.
I venture out to see the bands not the audience. also i don't really like dancing but i like seeing good bands.

There's been too much tolerence and almost encouragement of bringing cans to gigs in this thread. If you can afford cans but expect to get in for free as far as i'm concerned you are nothing but a freeloader.
Venues have been lost in the past because of it so just don't do it. Years ago in belfast we had a major headache with people bringing cans to gigs(remember in Giro's it was byo) So we started taking cans off people who showed up with no money to pay in and gave the cans to the bands.
Also,the idea of an all ages gig somewhere to bring more younger people to gigs is spot on,but,who of all the younger kids is gonna know the bands who are playing? Again,back in Giro's we sometimes got kids bands who knew nothing or little of our scene to play gigs. So instead of asking Oak for example to play a gig,ask some kids who play other gigs to play,if they suck they suck,it doesn't matter as they will be on first(remeber,no one goes to gigs that early isn't that right?) and they may be inspired by the whole thing to get better. Just a thought. It may be worth however asking a band to be on standby though.
It's good people are suggesting things and not just slagging stuff off.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
There's been too much tolerence and almost encouragement of bringing cans to gigs in this thread. If you can afford cans but expect to get in for free as far as i'm concerned you are nothing but a freeloader.
Venues have been lost in the past because of it so just don't do it.

to be fair i don't think people are exactly encouraging people to buy cans and not pay in. some people can't afford to drink pints all night and that's just the reality. there shouldn't be anybody not paying into a gig unless they are genuinely broke (and that doesn't mean being broke after buying smokes, some cans and a 3in1).

I just got the impression there was too much talk of how to do it and not get caught.
I might start showing up at gigs with a big bag of new records or a shiney new bike or something and expect to get in for nothing. Seems fair,after all,I'll be skint after spending my money.

ravishinrikrude said:
i think a good way of expanding the d.i.y. audience would be to hold an all day saturday gig with about eight diverse bands somewhere smack bang in the centre of town and make it all ages, poster the fuck out of the temple bar area and try and get as many 15- 18 year old kids to go as possible.

I remember some people did that in the City Arts Center a few years ago, but "the punx" decided they'd boycott it for not being punk enough and organised another gig in the Old Chinaman at the same time.

They made sure the Chinaman gig would be over in time to head up to the CAC to see Wat Tyler play that evening, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back